Is Manchester airport the worst in Europe?

Fucking horrendous situation last night, loads of people missed flights, loads of very delayed flights, and I know of one flight that in the end there were that many people stuck in security that it was quicker to take all bags off the aircraft,( bags were taking 15 mins to come through the system to the aircraft, people didn't make it, and we cant send bags without the people who own the bags for obvious reasons) and send it on its way so no one will have a bag when they get to their destination, I actually saw people pleading through the window to the captain as the terminal window was directly in front of the plane felt very sorry for them

Milan Airport is amazing. In and through security straight away. Food is amazing and prices for everything are more than fair.

Helps with the absolute abundance of stunning women here and not having to look at Fat Pat from Wythenshawe.
I know the fat pat was a bit of a joke, however I can assure you that there are very many beautiful people of both sexes passing through the airport daily :)

Airport getting a lot of stick on BBC Breakfast national news.

Fucking horrendous situation last night, loads of people missed flights, loads of very delayed flights, and I know of one flight that in the end there were that many people stuck in security that it was quicker to take all bags off the aircraft,( bags were taking 15 mins to come through the system to the aircraft, people didn't make it, and we cant send bags without the people who own the bags for obvious reasons) and send it on its way so no one will have a bag when they get to their destination, I actually saw people pleading through the window to the captain as the terminal window was directly in front of the plane felt very sorry for them
Horrendous..how long before it gets sorted

The demise of MAN goes as far back as the mid 90s and the privatisation of the baggage services and the so called removal of a monopoly that MIA held. Prior to this all airport authority positions were filled by Council workers, a lot of them ex-binmen who transferred after the refuse collection was sold off. Employment was sought after and cherished, and any staff found to be "crossing the line" were sent to Coventry. However a European ruling in relation to the baggage services monopoly and the Council`s desire to offload the responsibility of the local authority pension scheme opened up the market, meaning standards and working conditions dropped. Whilst the airlines were happy with this due to incurring lower costs multiple agencies fought for contracts and had to reduce their costs by employing cheaper labour. The airport then saw this as an opportunity to become a "Landlord" and no longer a major employer. They are only interested in taking as much money as possible from all and sundry with no responsibilities.

Post Covid they are suffering just like other sectors. They`ve lost staff who`ve now found gainful employment elsewhere. I`ve seen it mentioned that the UK has lost 1 million people from the employment market since the start of Covid. It`s now an employee`s market out there where you can pick and choose your employment. The fact that some supermarkets have upped their salary rates goes to show.

So you can get a job at MAN, get to a staff car park at 4am, then get a bus to the terminal, get run ragged for a shift in summer and return home via a bus and car. Or you can work for Sainsbury`s for more money and less hassle.

Manchester Airport`s problem this summer won`t just be recruitment, it`ll be staff retention.
good one, manchester council are the main stake-holders witj 35%, and their
drive to gouge every penny out of customers, with as little investment as possible, is obvious to all, They are "bad landlords" bad employers and wilfully blind to what is happening...Missing In Action

IMO they need to accept that they are not a big enough operation, especially currently, to process that many flights.

Let's see what effect these additional 400 staff have in April then. But it was never a pleasant experience even pre covid, and a large part of that was because they squeeze in extra flights and passengers at every opportunity, instead of accepting that they are an airport with only two runways and two and a half terminals of questionable efficiency.

I've seen over and over a ramp up in demand causing huge issues in various industries in the post covid recovery period, and it's obviously travel's turn now, so I understand that and it's a valid issue for them.

But above all, if passenger safety is now at risk then action has to be taken now and decisions taken out of current management's hands. Nobody's wants to hear that a child was crushed in a melee to get to a plane on time, just because hiring extra staff was not in their lean budget or they couldn't make decisions in time. It may seem dramatic, but that scenario seems more feasible to me each day at Manchester Airport.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.