Is Manchester airport the worst in Europe?

IMO they need to accept that they are not a big enough operation, especially currently, to process that many flights.

Let's see what effect these additional 400 staff have in April then. But it was never a pleasant experience even pre covid, and a large part of that was because they squeeze in extra flights and passengers at every opportunity, instead of accepting that they are an airport with only two runways and two and a half terminals of questionable efficiency.

I've seen over and over a ramp up in demand causing huge issues in various industries in the post covid recovery period, and it's obviously travel's turn now, so I understand that and it's a valid issue for them.

But above all, if passenger safety is now at risk then action has to be taken now and decisions taken out of current management's hands. Nobody's wants to hear that a child was crushed in a melee to get to a plane on time, just because hiring extra staff was not in their lean budget or they couldn't make decisions in time. It may seem dramatic, but that scenario seems more feasible to me each day at Manchester Airport.
Not sure passenger safety is a problem, if a child gets hurt because there are people crushing then i suggest the people doing the crushing are the problem with their fuck you attitude, people aren't penned in there are queues, and people wont be surging

Not sure passenger safety is a problem, if a child gets hurt because there are people crushing then i suggest the people doing the crushing are the problem with their fuck you attitude, people aren't penned in there are queues, and people wont be surging
I hope so. I just don't trust people in general to be unselfish enough to be patient in a queue. They don't do it at traffic lights increasingly, so when their holiday to Spain is at risk I'd be concerned, and that's when it becomes the airport's problem if they're perceived to have encouraged the conditions.

Maybe a few strategically placed armed guards would do the trick. As a kids coming home from a family holiday in Spain or Greece, nothing could get me to behave quicker than realising a guy with a gun was watching the crowd.

I hope so. I just don't trust people in general to be unselfish enough to be patient in a queue. They don't do it at traffic lights increasingly, so when their holiday to Spain is at risk I'd be concerned, and that's when it becomes the airport's problem if they're perceived to have encouraged the conditions.

Maybe a few strategically placed armed guards would do the trick. As a kids coming home from a family holiday in Spain or Greece, nothing could get me to behave quicker than realising a guy with a gun was watching the crowd.
people wont surge, they would be stupid,they aren't going to get on the aircraft quicker , and if they did steam through security they would be met with armed police,arrested and spend some time in the nick.

i can see people getting violent,frustrated and possibly very ill because of the frustration

IMO they need to accept that they are not a big enough operation, especially currently, to process that many flights.

Let's see what effect these additional 400 staff have in April then. But it was never a pleasant experience even pre covid, and a large part of that was because they squeeze in extra flights and passengers at every opportunity, instead of accepting that they are an airport with only two runways and two and a half terminals of questionable efficiency.

I've seen over and over a ramp up in demand causing huge issues in various industries in the post covid recovery period, and it's obviously travel's turn now, so I understand that and it's a valid issue for them.

But above all, if passenger safety is now at risk then action has to be taken now and decisions taken out of current management's hands. Nobody's wants to hear that a child was crushed in a melee to get to a plane on time, just because hiring extra staff was not in their lean budget or they couldn't make decisions in time. It may seem dramatic, but that scenario seems more feasible to me each day at Manchester Airport.
i had to go through security quite a few times yesterday(not the passenger security) and they had loads of staff,problem is these new staff don't know what they are doing at the moment and it was taking twice as long, obviously as they get more experienced they will become quicker, this wont be a quick fix.

I was born and bred in Prestwich. Never knew it had an airport:-)
Prestwich is incredibly important. They do the ATC for the Atlantic crossing. Almost all planes from British airports bound direct for the States must go via Prestwich.

should've let the owner of manchester city buy it
im sure he was in the running at one stage
Judging by the way the ordinary fan at the Etihad comes last in their consideration, I would disagree.

Prestwich is incredibly important. They do the ATC for the Atlantic crossing. Almost all planes from British airports bound direct for the States must go via Prestwich.
Ok, first of all it is PrestWICK. It's near Troon on the west coast of Scotland. It has an airport which is little used apart from a few military, cargo and Ryanair selling it as Glasgow! However, the airport has nothing to do with ATC over the Atlantic. That role is carried out from the Scottish Air Traffic Control Centre (ScATCC) which is located just outside the airport boundary and is a completely different entity.

The Atlantic control function is carried out jointly by ScATCC, Reykjavik, Santa Maria, Gander and New York depending on the tracks that the aircraft are flying. These change on a daily basis to take advantage of tailwinds. Up until last year, the tracks were fairly rigid, but satellite tracking of aircraft now allows reduced separation and hence more efficient use of the airspace. Look up ADSB and you'll see how it works.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.