Is Manchester airport the worst in Europe?

A retired BA manager writes:

This recovery was predicted as soon as the vaccine roll out started. Many of the loading staff employed by Swissport were EU nationals on minimum wage. The question to MIA should be how many missing staff are employed directly and how many by contractors (and Border Force) and previously how many were EU. What is the recovery plan. UK staff won't work 12 shift start at 5 am for minimum wage. Even Sainsbury pay delivery driver £15 an hour.

This recovery was predicted as soon as the vaccine roll out started. Many of the loading staff employed by Swissport were EU nationals on minimum wage. The question to MIA should be how many missing staff are employed directly and how many by contractors (and Border Force) and previously how many were EU. What is the recovery plan. UK staff won't work 12 shift start at 5 am for minimum wage. Even Sainsbury pay delivery driver £15 an hour.

No one should be working a 12 hour shift in 2022.

Another organisation unwilling to staff an operation correctly as they only think about profit at employees expense with the customer ending up in the shitty end of appalling service.

Ridiculous

That was one of my jobs in the late 80’s when I worked on security at the airport, it was a decent job then, decent pay (plus a percentage of the airports profits) and good conditions, it was well run and a pretty professional job was done on the whole, the ‘Jalalabad’ and ‘Islamabad’ flights could get a bit busy and messy, the ‘El Al’ ones were extremely strict and their own security didn’t fuck about.

Over the decades I’ve watched it steadily decline each time I’ve flown from there, and no matter how bad the above flights got, they were nowhere near that level of chaos, absolutely nowhere near.

I said in 1988 that Manchester Airport would become an absolute monster, swallowing anything in its way because of greed, and sadly, that seems to have come to pass, I still know people who’ve worked there for years and just jacked it in because the working conditions have become so bad, I’m glad I didn’t stay now.

No one should be working a 12 hour shift in 2022.

Another organisation unwilling to staff an operation correctly as they only think about profit at employees expense with the customer ending up in the shitty end of appalling service.
My friend who said they were dragging people in on triple time plus bonus, wanted to work but couldn't as it hadn't been 12 hours between shifts

Many companies at the airport decided to make loads of people redundant even though the furlough scheme was in place, to say it had anything to do with nationality imo is bollocks, staff were kept on for skills not nationality, I could see that as soon as the pandemic eased it would go mad you don't have to have a degree to know it would go back to normal people wanted to get away after being cooped up for two years

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.