Is now the time to consider Mancini's tenure at the club

can someone shoot me a PM when they have got rid I'm too busy to keep up with this thread

thanks in advance

Matthew

Rocket-footed kolarov said:
Interesting article from the guardian

Robert Mancini's tinkerman touch is not helping City's Euro ambitions

Roberto Mancini has not only presided over an unsatisfactory run of results in Europe, but his judgment has also come into question with an unusual frequency

The deterioration in the team's defending is certainly not what Mancini must have envisaged after employing a new coach, Angelo Gregucci, in the summer to work specifically on this part of the team. Gregucci was Mancini's assistant at Fiorentina in 2001. Since then, the 48-year-old has managed eight different Italian teams but had only one spell in Serie A, where he lasted barely five weeks at Lecce.

He was sacked by Reggina in April, only three months after taking the job, and does not speak English, meaning Mancini quite often has had to translate for him on the training ground. City's three fixtures in the Champions League so far have seen the opposition accumulate a total of 72 shots which contrasts with 85 in their eight Premier League games.

Is this true? If so it implies that he isn't very good.

bluelassie said:
Rocket-footed kolarov said:
Interesting article from the guardian

Robert Mancini's tinkerman touch is not helping City's Euro ambitions

Roberto Mancini has not only presided over an unsatisfactory run of results in Europe, but his judgment has also come into question with an unusual frequency

The deterioration in the team's defending is certainly not what Mancini must have envisaged after employing a new coach, Angelo Gregucci, in the summer to work specifically on this part of the team. Gregucci was Mancini's assistant at Fiorentina in 2001. Since then, the 48-year-old has managed eight different Italian teams but had only one spell in Serie A, where he lasted barely five weeks at Lecce.

He was sacked by Reggina in April, only three months after taking the job, and does not speak English, meaning Mancini quite often has had to translate for him on the training ground. City's three fixtures in the Champions League so far have seen the opposition accumulate a total of 72 shots which contrasts with 85 in their eight Premier League games.

Is this true? If so it implies that he isn't very good.

Old news isn't it? Somehow think the 3-5-2 was his fault.

What this whole episode has brutally revealed and reinforced is how important the CL is in modern football. Whether that is a positive or negative is open to debate.

Blue Heaven said:
We will now be in Pot 4 for next season's CL draw, so don't expect a group that is much easier than our current one.

Our UEFA co-efficent is already nearly 3 points better than last seasons.

A lot will depend on what the owners' expectations are, both on the field and financially. I think it's safe to say that they wouldn't expect to be winning it at this stage so there's no panic on that score. There will be questions about the performance, as we all expected 6 points against Ajax, but the big question is what their financial predictions are.

The big money comes from doing well in Europe, both from prize money and the commercial income that comes from being a globally recognised team. I'm sure they will have factored this into the long term plan but when? I'd feel confident in saying that in the short term they wouldn't be looking beyond the last 16. Financial planning has to be prudent and it wouldn't surprise me if even going out in the group stage last season was part of the financial plan. It might have been the same in this year's plan but even if it wasn't then it would only be last 16, nothing more. My guess would be they would be looking at getting to the QF in maybe 2 years time (2014/15).

So this season may not have been what we wanted but its not a disaster I would guess. However if we fail to qualify again next season then things could get serious.

Another thing is that I've shown that the weaker teams in Pots 1 & 2 get the stronger teams in Pots 3 & 4 so it might actually benefit us to be a stronger team in Pot 3 than a weaker team in Pot 2.

Prestwich_Blue said:
It might have been the same in this year's plan but even if it wasn't then it would only be last 16, nothing more. My guess would be they would be looking at getting to the QF in maybe 2 years time (2014/15).

I'm not sure I buy this at all, PB. I think with the quality of our squad, and the ambition shown by ADUG so far, you are underestimating our European "ranking" and our expectations.The top English clubs have been routinely reaching CL Quarters, Semis and finals for years now. There's no reason why it shouldn't have been expected of City. Khaldoon admitted at the end of last season that the title had been the expectation, the target for last year. And this was after loads of talk from fans about 5 year plans and all this.

Whilst I don't think we were ever going to win the CL, I feel sure ADUG will be very disappointed to have gone out with a whimper again.

I've said elsewhere I don't think Mancini's tenure will even be looked at until the summer, but I think Europe is a black mark against him, one he need to readdress with results domestically.

If we end this season empty handed I think he's on extremely thin ice, especially if there are more fallouts/fireworks/rumours behind the scenes. These things have followed him like a bad smell for all his career.

The tactics against Ajax were absolutuly crazy. Mancini is affraid for every team in Europe.. Playing so defensive. Ajax conceded 3 goals at Heracles last weekend. Everybody was laughing at them, Their defence is shit and City created nothing. I couldn't believe what i was watching..

And for the info.. Heracles would be playing in the championship in England.....
City made Ajax look big in Europe but they are a shitty side

moomba said:
Blue Heaven said:
We will now be in Pot 4 for next season's CL draw, so don't expect a group that is much easier than our current one.

Our UEFA co-efficent is already nearly 3 points better than last seasons.

Maybe showing my ignorance but with regards co-efficency..does the Europa Cup count?

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.