Is our scouting system crap?

Pam

If we aren't going to go for the obvious, marquee signings, what are we doing about identifying the next Falcao or Suarez or ... well, you get the picture.

It has been pretty crap but with the arrival of Txiki Begiristain will improve a lot now, he is apparently improving our scouting network in South America and acquiring first refusal on some of the most promising kids there. We also employed Frank Arnesen's son and someone else for particular regions earlier this year so it should be of a pretty high standard soon. I would like to know who scouted Savic for us though, Wenger passed on him and we were laughing at him when we signed Savic, thinking he had missed out on a hidden gem.

Pam said:
If we aren't going to go for the obvious, marquee signings, what are we doing about identifying the next Falcao or Suarez or ... well, you get the picture.
We have picked up quite a few very talented youngsters from what I can see in Rekik, Suarez, Ntcham, Pozo and Bossearts etc.

I am guessing like every team we are just sending out scouts to build relationships across the globe and we just have to sit and wait to see if one pops up.

LoveCity, Savic is talented and will be a good defender. Just watch him now for Fiorentina. He isn't the first and won't be the last to not be able to handle the prem.

CTID101 said:
LoveCity, Savic is talented and will be a good defender. Just watch him now for Fiorentina. He isn't the first and won't be the last to not be able to handle the prem.

Perhaps he will turn out good but point remains he was a poorly scouted player as he couldn't handle the league he was signed to play in. If we were a Serie A club then he may have been a well scouted signing. Part of the scouting process is figuring out how the player will adapt, we failed with that. But I expect major improvements in the future, more Nastasics - ready for our league already - and less Savics. I don't think we have a problem below senior level either, some of our youth signings have been good such as Rekik, Suarez, Pozo, and Ntcham.

Our scouting is poor and it's just about the most important area of a club. It's easy to fix too.....employ the best by paying them more. Difficult to know who they are? Not really they all work for one club.....FC Porto.

I bet most have read a fair bit about our scouting system and yet almost all of us know little about the logistics. There are promising signs for the future though and no scout has a 100% success rate anyway.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.