Is Pep the greatest?

If it is all about the Champions League Zidane would be the best manager with 3 in 3.

He’s not because it’s a cup competition. If it was an actual league Pep would have won it with both Bayern and City.

The whole thing about Pep only be successful because he manages teams with big quench books etc is one of the last resorts critics have. Pep of course lucked out by having a young Lionel Messi at his disposal but his use of that resource, especially as a false nine against Real Madrid, is one of the things that sets him apart. He had fantastic players at Barca but he was the guy that turned them into probably the best football team ever seen.

He produced a City team that is one of the greatest English football has ever had; although those achievements seem, sadly, undervalued.

You hire Pep to manage elite players not to get Rotherham promoted - I'm pretty sure he could do that if he wanted to but why the hell would he and whether he could or couldn't just is not relevant.

I suspect that only when the dust has settled on his career will it be possible to put into full context just where he stands in the pantheon of great football coaches / managers. In the meantime, he has new challenges ahead of him if he stays at City and how he handles those will help shape his legacy in the game. This is a potentially fascinating time in his career and I hope we get to see it play out fully at City.
Good post mate and I agree with most of it. Time will tell whether Pep continues to spend big on ready-made players though. The time is fast approaching for several of our youngsters to be given a fair chance in first team games against decent opposition in meaningful games, not dead rubber cameo minutes. I want to see young players coming through the ranks. Local players especially Foden Harwood-Bellis and Tommy Doyle I want to see them play and become established. Foden obviously has the best chance but for whatever reason Pep is underplaying him.

Now the league has gone is a perfect opportunity to utilise the squad and see some of our young players perform. Ok they'll all make mistakes, that's obvious, but top 3 is our aim, top 4 at a push.

I'm getting frustrated seeing Stones Otamendi having to be chaperoned by Fernandinho because of their incompetence. Pep has to be bold and try Garcia and Hadwood-Belllis. Both natural CBs shielded by Fernandinho, why not? I suggested this on he pre match Wolves thread and had one quote of "Do you want us to lose the game".?..lol. I don't want us to lose any game thanks, but I do want to see youth players come through the ranks. Otherwise we may as well just keep buying costly players and convert the Academy into a factory making Wonka bars!

why is it ALL about the champions league though and not a collective of trophies, records broken, style etc?

he sad he’s failed in the champions league since Barca. He has. His other achievements are amazing. That competition though it’s not gone to plan.

why is it ALL about the champions league though and not a collective of trophies, records broken, style etc?

he sad he’s failed in the champions league since Barca. He has. His other achievements are amazing. That competition though it’s not gone to plan.

The best domestic manager in the history of football is Fergie IMHO.

He wrestled the trophies from the grasp of Glasgow powerhouses Celtic and Rangers, winning three league titles, four Scottish Cups, one Scottish League Cup, the Cup Winners Cup and UEFA Super Cup. All this in 8 seasons whilst managing Aberdeen.

Then he went to the rags in 86 and was unsuccessful till '90. Perceived as a failure, his managerial epitaph was(allegedly) already typed out by the press who had inside info on him getting 'sacked in the morning'. Up popped Mark bastard Robins with a very late looping header at Forest, 3rd round FA cup game in '90. And the rest is 'istry as they say.

In 1990 Ferguson was the same age Pep is now.

Inaccurate. Liverpool spent the most during the 90s and there were plenty if seasons in which Ferguson was outspent. By Blackburn. By Newcastle. By liverpool. You name it.

When Mourinho came, he spent 3 times as much, net and gross, and it was Ferguson who eventually outdueled him.

The european criticism is similar to the Pep one and I think that's its inane. Pep is still the greatest manager alive. The fact that he hasn't been able to win it since Barcelona doesnt detract from his more salient accomplishments. His domestic dominance. I'm never going to give more importance to a cup competition than the league when it comes to ranking managerial abilities.
It would be inaccurate to say he spent the most, but I did not!

I did look for it but couldn't find it. I do know that when we had no money whatsoever, they were paying 60m for Ferdinand, Rooney and Carrick.

No... Joe Mercer was the greatest... having also been Captain of England (and of Arsenal when they we an actual club). Nevertheless, Mancini is a living god because he did the impossible... by destroying the Filthy Red Scum after 44 years of horror...

Oh yes 100% behind that.
Peps doing okay though ;-)

If it was all about the CL then Robbie DiMatteo would be a greater manager than Pep!
As far as I am concerned Pep is the greatest.
He has won multiple titles in three of the top 4 leagues in Europe but more importantly he has introduced a new brand of football to the Premier League which has radically changed the way many teams play. That’s the true sign of greatness.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.