Is the England national team good or bad for City players?

Marvin

I was thinking about how John Stones must be feeling right now.

Gutted. A little bit relieved. Annoyed with himself. Proud he dug out that header to set Maguire up. A bit of everything but mostly bad.

I don't think playing for the England national team is very healthy for City players. Look at the demons Joe Hart and Sterling have had to put up with. I think the problem is that with a club the fans are behind the players normally. City and Sunderland and a few clubs in bleak periods though get to the point when the stadium is a bearpit of hostility but normally speaking the club is supportive. The England national set-up is not supportive. If you make a mistake, and you don't play for one of the golden clubs, the media love to put you on a rack and then pick at your skeleton. I don't support England but I'll watch the games because it's football. I'm one of the vutures too. I support Sterling, Stones, Foden etc but if Maguire slips on his back-side and scores an o.g. I'll find that funny. I can't watch it with an England head on, and I think a lot of fans are like that so players don't have the supportive protective effect of playing for a club.

It annoys me and I feel a little bad for Joe Hart that he was once a title winner and leading player for England and now he is a sub. I think we need to look after our players. I am quite sure that Pep, Walker and DIas will look after Stonesy but we're not at the games any more, and you feel it when one of your own had a bad day and you can't support them.

It is a bit poor that the media are more interested in Poland's goal than England's IMHO. I don't think the England team do anything for City but the players have the right to play for their national team.

Looking more widely at the internationals, it's a double edged sword. Hopefully. Stones won't be affected by his mistake for England but the international break has seen Ferran Torres and Garcia in form for Spain that might be helpful in the last months of this season (even though playing Garcia should be a last resort).

I suppose England is a step down from playing for City. That's never much fun. Some of us must have played for good Saturday kids teams than we played for our school team which was crap I use to try and get out of playing for the school ! Always had bad games as the school players werent as good as my club team mates. So to speak City are like the Saturday team and England are like the school team ;)
I mean Englands number 8 the one with the two pony tails who I have never heard of, wouldnt get anywhere the City squad.
You could see both Foden and Sterling making runs, over and over again but where never picked out.
Kane just seemed to not want to pass to Foden all night.
You could see that the City players brains working quicker and than having to slow the pace down because the pass they would make at City wasnt on !

As for development i dont think play for England and Southgate adds to their development. I am more worried playing for England and Southgate might hinder their development and lose confidence. On the plus side its seems help Sterling back to abit of form !

Here we go. Next minute you’ll be saying we’re not English we’re Mancs. Every player goes off to play in their national teams but nobody ever says anything about Spain, Algeria, Belgium, Argentina etc. Castigating England and the national team just makes you sound like a self-righteous gobshite Scouser. Embrace it, love the fact our players are involved and all the benefits those big matches, tournament football and life experience brings to each one of them lucky enough to be chosen to represent their country.

The thing is,they all love being selected and playing for their country,the development comes at club level,every single player would say it's an honour to play for England.

The hype it creates during a tournament is something they all love being involved in,even though they all eventually get knocked out.

If that's the best English 11 then we have no hope. Stones' mistake was a combination of having a keeper he dare not trust to give the ball to under pressure and neither of the 2 left side defenders (Maguire or Chilwell) having bothered their arse to drop beyond Stones and give an easy option. If the same scenario were to happen at City then he'd be dispossessed too but it wouldn't happen as anyone can see that our centre halves split and players make themselves available. England's failings are a combination of technically limited players being unable to think and react as the play develop.

The players take international selection as an honour and a mark of their standing in the game. Thus it aids their personal development.
Technical development is a different matter. At the mo, in a team with poor tempo, no apparent game plan or pattern of play, nah.
At one point v Poland, England won the ball 10 yds inside their own half and I counted 15 passes before they crossed the halfway line. None of the passes seemed to have any purpose other than the avoidance of risk and then they passed it back into their own half and started again. No learning there.

Last edited:
I can't think of 1 player we've had who's played for England and it's benefitted them.

Joe Hart went from being one of the best in Europe to a weak link in the side on the back of 1 penalty shoot out.

On a hiding to nothing, Stones going from having Gundo and Rodri ready to receive the ball in a system laid out by the best coach in the world, to Rice and Phillips plonked in by a walking waistcoat.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.