Is the England national team good or bad for City players?

Its more what City players bring to England team. The last three games they have looked like City light the way they are controlling the games, building from the back, diagonal balls out wide. They obviously miss a lot of quality in midfield but Rice is a decent enough Rodri and Mount would fit into a City system. I really dont think playing for England gives much to City players other than pride of playing for their national team and achieving a career ambition.

England are bang average ... It isn't good watching them. I am happy that they manage to dig out results but I never switch in thinking they are going to entertain me..

City are probably the top club team right now.

England are about the 8th best National team which is about where we always average. We are meant to get knocked out of tournaments in the QF and usually do. Despite what the press say it’s no disgrace. Given our football playing population it’s about right too.

A few years ago 538 did an analysis of club v national teams and arrived at a top 20. Only 7 national teams made it into the top 20 and their best team was 4th.

If we assume the same now then it will be no surprise to find out that a City player playing for any national side will be facing a drop in standard however small.

What the players do gain is experience of different situations and playing tournament football and, while this is impossible to measure, I would think this outweighs the drop in standard unless they are from a low ranked country that never progress to the latter stages.

England, given the average age of the squad, combined with current ability, have a good chance of being a trophy winning team in three years but we have seen this before and it didn’t work out usually because of club rivalry within the squad and the lack of a top quality coach.

and we beat Faroes 4-0 so we're on our way and John McGinn is the greatest midfield player in the world!

I've only seen the news headlines of England's game - but as has been said it looked as if Stones has once again been let down by players who don't understand how to play out from the back and been left isolated. I guess he needs to reduce his standards when playing for England and model himself on the world class Maguire - hoooooof!

It gives them the opportunity to find form but more often than now it is more so an opportunity to lose form because of how the team plays.

Stones will be fine. Made an error yes but the fact is, at City he has an option in that position. Pope is shite with the ball so he couldn't go to him. Walker was marked and our DMs were nowhere to be seen. So he had to take a touch.

He would do the same for City but have an option on the ball. It is a mistake due to a lack of options which he doesn't face at City. He could have gone back to Ederson who would have then found another blue shirt and we would have played out of it.

He needs to learn that at England he just needs to clear it because we don't have the players to play out from the back. Gareth wants us to but we can't do it without a better keeper.

He got the assist and we won the game. He should be feeling damn good about himself for showing that character.

One of the things I really dislike about modern football is how club allegiance has transferred over to the national team so much. I know I’m old school with it but I support any player who has the England shirt on and still think it should be seen as the highest privilege in any sport to be chosen as the best in your field and to represent your country.

In terms of development, that additional scrutiny, in part driven by club allegiances, does make it a cauldron that I imagine a few players struggle with and does lessen it being a positive experience. Ultimately though, if you can perform at international level knowing the whole countries eyes are on you then that bodes very well for the really high pressure games at club level.

From Peps point of view it is a risk of injury. From our players point of view another award and mostly still wanted.
How they play is governed by Southgate so maybe they must change their mindset and try to adjust their normal reflexes especially because different quality of colleagues.

Obviously different media expectations for City players, in fact it comes to something when Maguire has to tell them that mistakes are not made only by Stones.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.