Is this our most talented crop?

Even if it’s not with us, I think Mbete, Harwood-Bellis, Callum Doyle, McAtee, Palmer, Robertson, Delap, Tommy Doyle and Lavia all have a very good chance of making it at the top level.
I atleast take solace in the fact that the academy does well for these kids careers, even if its not with us.

When you have the best facilities in the world, and your training and playing with teammates who are also one of the best in their age group, it makes sense they all naturally get better together, and improve to the point of being able to make it somewhere.

When I used to regularly watch the u18s/EDS around 2015-17 I always thought that Brahim was the biggest star between him, Foden and Sancho, although he didn't really have a position and to do what he does you have to be exceptional and I'm not quite sure if he is (yet). At 20/21 to have moved to Real Madrid and currently be on loan at AC Milan doesn't sound too bad anyway.

What I'd say about this current crop is they have a proper goal scoring centre forward who looks the part - Delap is far an away the best centre forward we've had since Iheanacho was turning out for them and Delap looks better than him, so some of the previous teams had some really talented players but not someone who's the difference between winning 2-1 and winning 5-0. And although he's not been with the club so long, the manager has improved these lot even more I'd say - they're playing a lot more like the first team now tactically instead of a group of great individuals. Palmer, Doyle, McAtee all have the potential to be Premier League regulars, and I hope they are (especially for City) but I thought the same of Barker at the same age.

Been said elsewhere but I think it's important for the players themselves not to get too impatient, if you're expecting Doyle to come in at 19 and joust KDB out the team then you're daft but I see him in the future as a great squad player for City - think he's a similar player to Ward-Prowse at Southampton who isn't exactly eye catching but I bet most top teams would have him in their squads. Because Foden has been in and around the first team for a number of years now I think there's a view that if you're not ready by being 20 then it's time to sell but different players mature mentally and physically at different points.

We had this conversation in 2018, and 2016.

The current generation has always been more talented than the last, I suppose the question is whether the 2002/2003's represent the peak of what youth scouting and elite coaching from 6-18 years old can produce, or if we'll be talking about a crop of players in 3 years time that eclipse even this lot.

They certainly should be winning the FA Youth Cup again this year. Not only is it nice for them to win, but it's still got a lot of prestige around the country, and I've no doubt winning 3 in a row is one of the reasons Mason Mount, Tomori, Tammy Abraham got excellent loans that acted as springboards.

Last edited:
Brahim yes, I personally put Sancho on the Foden bracket also, but we're just splitting hairs at this point, gauging potential is difficult.
The difference between Sancho and Foden when Sancho was with us was attitude.If things were not going for him Sancho would go into his shell.

We had this conversation in 2018, and 2016.

The current generation has always been more talented than the last, I suppose the question is whether the 2002/2003's represent the peak of what youth scouting and elite coaching from 6-18 years old can produce, or if we'll be talking about a crop of players in 3 years time that eclipse even this lot.

They certainly should be winning the FA Youth Cup again this year. Not only is it nice for them to win, but it's still got a lot of prestige around the country, and I've no doubt winning 3 in a row is one of the reasons Mason Mount, Tomori, Tammy Abraham got excellent loans that acted as springboards.
That chelsea side of a few years back is a good comparison. They were as dominant then as we are now. When you look around at the players and where they end up it goes to show that the path forward is still difficult.

That chelsea side of a few years back is a good comparison. They were as dominant then as we are now. When you look around at the players and where they end up it goes to show that the path forward is still difficult.
Chelsea's impressive youth still made careers, and in particular, Mason Mount and Reece James who impressed at youth level have been brought into the first team now (with Mount doing a loan first).

Even Fikayo Tomori was around that age group also, who has done well at AC Milan who want to buy him with some reports saying Chelsea regret letting him go.

The sheer quantity of atleast "great" youth players in the current set-up means that many of them will have good careers somewhere (which I'm happy about), let's hope we can integrate 1 or 2 is all I want.

I would say they've done incredibly well.

Callum Hudson-Odoi - Chelsea regular, England international, just signed a 200k/week contract because Bayern wanted him.

Mason Mount - The lynchpin of the Chelsea side and almost certainly starting for England at the Euros and a future Chelsea captain.

Fikayo Tomori - Starting for AC Milan, will either be brought back to start or sold for £27m.

Reece James - England international, regular starter for Chelsea.

Tammy Abraham - England international, regular starter for Chelsea.

Billy Gilmour - Was a Lampard favourite and on his way to regular first team football before his injury.

There's quite a few currently playing for Championship sides competing for the play-offs as well. Guehi, Jay DaSilva, Jake Clarke-Salter, Solanke etc. Conor Gallagher is a starter at West Brom, Ola Aina one of Fulham's best players.

I would say they've done incredibly well.

Callum Hudson-Odoi - Chelsea regular, England international, just signed a 200k/week contract because Bayern wanted him.

Mason Mount - The lynchpin of the Chelsea side and almost certainly starting for England at the Euros and a future Chelsea captain.

Fikayo Tomori - Starting for AC Milan, will either be brought back to start or sold for £27m.

Reece James - England international, regular starter for Chelsea.

Tammy Abraham - England international, regular starter for Chelsea.

Billy Gilmour - Was a Lampard favourite and on his way to regular first team football before his injury.

There's quite a few currently playing for Championship sides competing for the play-offs as well. Guehi, Jay DaSilva, Jake Clarke-Salter, Solanke etc. Conor Gallagher is a starter at West Brom, Ola Aina one of Fulham's best players.
I'm pretty sure after hearing from some AC Milan fans that they'll definitely use their buy option, they think 27m will be a steal for them, I think they're right.

It's such a tough decision for the club to make, we look to have an outstanding pool of talent but they are competing against some of the worlds top players to get into our matchday squad. Players will naturally get restless and will have agents pushing them to move on.

Sancho being a case in point, he was not ready to break into our team but unlike Foden he wouldn't bide his time any longer. In the scheme of things it has worked out for him and part of me wishes we had Sancho on one wing and Foden on the other.

The trick is getting loans for the players who we have doubts about in order to get the best prices for them, the Academy will have paid for itself multiple times over and hopefully we unearth another Foden along the way.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.