Istanbul CL Final chaos | City Matters statement (p 133)

If it was not for CM and the work they put in the issues in Istanbul would have been swept under the carpet. They are the ones who have collated the evidence, written the report and continue to put pressure on City to issue a public statement.

The failing is not with CM but our club.
I agree and I wasn't blaming CM reps.

The club is merely paying lip service to engaging with supporters via City Matters and after all the work they put in trying to get accountability for the Istanbul fiasco it's piss poor that the club won't issue any public statement on it.

I don't know about anyone else, but I'm fucking raging about this. The absolute shitshow we had to endure, before, during and after the match was scandalous.

The fact that we all had the time of our lives DESPITE what UEFA put us through, shouldn't mask what went on out there.

As @paulchapo says above, its a fucking good job we won. I shudder to think what would have happened if we hadn't.

Shame on you City, I hardly recognise what you've become. Family club with deep roots in the community? My fucking arse.

Last edited:
The main thing is choosing a venue that gets capacity crowds on a regular basis and has a good record of coping.

Not a stadium which sells out every 20 years and there are locals looking to rip off the fans as much as possible, in a location 20 miles away from the hub of the city it is supposed to serve.
Don't think Old Trafford meets UEFA's criteria fortunately.

So the scousers turn up with more fans than tickets at the behest of their gobshite manager and generally act like cunts as per the norm.
Meanwhile we turn up at our final mixing with the locals no trouble with opposing fans etc etc. but we're the ones treated like an afterthought.
Guess who's fans get the refund y(could)miu.

I don't know about anyone else, but I'm fucking raging about this. The absolute shitshow we had to endure, before, during and after the match was scandalous.

The fact that we all the time of our lives DESPITE what UEFA put us through, shouldn't mask what went on out there.

As @paulchapo says above, its a fucking good job we won. I shudder to think what would have happened if we hadn't.

Shame on you City, I hardly recognise what you've become. Family club with deep roots in the community? My fucking arse.

I happily didn't go. Although everything was an exorbitant price I could have paid it. I knew the organisation would be a shambles though, bordering on the dangerous and I'm just too old these days to put myself through it. If I'm paying €500 for a ticket I'd expect that to come with safe, fast and frequent travel to and from the stadium at the very least. UEFA have fucked up every single final they have organised. People died at Heysel and it was a miracle they didn't in Paris. I'm surprised given the heat, lack of refreshments and the age of a lot of our fanbase some didn't at our game. They are a disgrace and so are our club for their lack of concern and action at the shambles they were part of.

I love we’re looking after people who had a rotten time in Istanbul. Some missed the match and or were late, others had horrendous trouble getting too and from with accessibility issues. That can’t happen and that’s why City Matters is so important.

But there were a lot of people there who still turned it into something special. Memories forever of the trek to the ground and back, stories that will become local bar legend and a country and people who almost for every story told, welcomed us, looked after us and made it the weekend it was. Things that can never happen staying in the Holiday Inn Express outside Wembley this year. It was unique and I sometimes feel, perhaps because I was lucky, this gets lost. For the vast majority, it was inconvenient at worst. Let’s keep our weight behind the people who it really impacted and not dilute their problem. It will be difficult to recreate the atmosphere of that final, pre match in the alleys, in the sterility Western Europe at least. If the place was better organised and less chaotic, we wouldn’t have had what we gained in the tiny mazes around Nevizade. Nights that will stay with me for life. Give and take for the vast majority.

UEFA should be held to account, great work for the people who didn’t get the experience they deserved, City Matters

Last edited:
So the scousers turn up with more fans than tickets at the behest of their gobshite manager and generally act like cunts as per the norm.
Meanwhile we turn up at our final mixing with the locals no trouble with opposing fans etc etc. but we're the ones treated like an afterthought.
Guess who's fans get the refund y(could)miu.
Thank god we didn’t make that final. I can only imagine how shit it would have been mixing with them.

My abiding memory is leaving the ground that night with the police & stewards stopping us to allow a cavalcade of black presteen Mercedes Wagons, full of UEFA officials, to speed past us with a heavy motorbike police presence .... no doubt on their way to their luxurious 5* hotels along with their contemptuous "let them eat cake" attitude on us peasants outside ...

We were very fortunate that night, to find a local to drive us to our hotel for £100 which still took almost 2 hours .... no doubt Mr Čeferin & co. were fast asleep in their King sized silk sheeted beds by then .... so well done to CM for representing the voiceless fan, but I fear little will change ... they simply don't care ...

In spite of them all .... for me, my son & brother .... it remains one of the greatest days of my life ... they can take our dignity but they will never take our memories ...

Somewhat surprisingly, The Mail actually did a huge piece on it:

Agree they did as you say,surprisingly support us, would be great if a follow up article ,stating how nothing has moved forward,and asking why City and Uefa have not reacted at all

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.