Istanbul CL Final chaos | City Matters statement (p 133)

Who else should be held to account though? Police possibly for not restricting traffic perhaps but it looks like there are too few alternatives routes in the area.
City and Inter had just over three weeks to arrange stuff, but UEFA have been planning it for years. The stadium never hosts big events so they had no experience of large crowds. If UEFA wanted to keep friends with the Turkish FA they should have given them the Europa League final and used Galatasaray's ground.

We got to the fanzone after 7-30 and got half a dozen pints from the last bar before the turnstiles. - One of the barstaff was being shown how to pour from a can without getting a pot full of head.
actually stadium hosted 2005 champs final (liverpool) and there was no metro at that time... strange. that game was on wednesday also (weekday). i was working that day. what happened that day? i really wonder. i just listened stories from my friends; nothing about transportation. i ve heard a few stories about pool fans travelling in the baggage of cars.. but no complaints. maybe there were complaints but we ve never heard of.
actually, at the moment, everybody is so happy in turkey, they are thinking that the organization was perfect. if i was not in that forum, i even will not be knowing what happened.
as @Edghill OG mentioned above, those questions will be a big mystery forever. Olympic Stadium of istanbul, rest in peace...

PS: Gala stadium is not any better (maybe a little better) about transportation, believe me... walking on the highway after game is a regular activity in turkey.

Last edited:
We just hopped on the tram, despite the "thou must not" directive from uefa.
The ride there was one of the most fun parts of the day, lots of singing with the inter fans and that walk up and out of the station was captured by someone or other on social media - makes my spine tingle watching that back on a loop...

The ride there was one of the most fun parts of the day, lots of singing with the inter fans and that walk up and out of the station was captured by someone or other on social media - makes my spine tingle watching that back on a loop...
Can you post that video?
We did the same and used the metro
City fans actually following the guidelines certainly made the bus situation worse.

It appears me and my mate were on the same bus out as Gary (he’s captured the back of my head perfectly in his photo). It was every bit as shambolic as he describes.

Same as, bit of a mad bottleneck at that one station on the way where they put on a frankly chaotic match ticket check, but fine on the way back when they missed out loads of the interim stations

Same as, bit of a mad bottleneck at that one station on the way where they put on a frankly chaotic match ticket check, but fine on the way back when they missed out loads of the interim stations
That was really weird (and dangerous) on the way there. We assumed we were already at the stadium. Fought our way through all that chaos to discover there were still two more stops to go on another train!

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.