Istanbul CL Final chaos | City Matters statement (p 133)

So, even the head of the most corrupt and incompetent organisation in the world is now publicly acknowledging the problems in Istanbul. Meanwhile the deafening silence from MCFC continues.
Now, now. As I was told when I complained about City's silence, and the chairman saying we played our part as fans but then putting up ticket prices again, we've just done a treble so you don't have the right to complain about anything,

Do you think Cerefin had to haggle with mini bus drivers to drop them off somewhere away from the stadium so they could then get to destination?
We eventually got to airport 3 and a half hours and £80 (two rides) after arriving at car park!

They put on a fans park at Yenikapi with drinks available then ask people to go without a bog break for up to 3 hours to get to the ground.

Our group has a scale of 1-10, 1 being we don’t need a piss to 10 which is the one before you piss yourself. We were all 9’s and 10’s when we got to the ground, many fans got off buses to have a roadside slash. Young disabled wheelchair user on our bus, shouted for a break after an hour, driver wouldn’t have heard him but I felt so sorry for him.
Inhumane treatment. I am amazed there wasn’t a riot.

Stayed in the stadium long after the game. Knew the bus park would be hell - if our metrolink is poor then..... Walked straight onto a metro train. No issues.
Heart goes out to those with genuine ailments and disabilities. But some others should have worked it for themselves (no matter the recommendations), through previous experiences. Granted UEFA should have done better in certain areas, but some of the complaints are like we've never been out of the house. The moaning about the club not being vocal about this, is, I'm sure, more about bridge building diplomacy and perception. I imagine they are behind the scenes and out of the media.

When the dust settles, I can't think of a better city to have won it in. The history, the culture, the people, the location. Magical. (May not seem it to some though yet).

Last edited:
I wonder how much Erdogan made indirectly from the final. We were talking to a Fenerbache fan on the Sunday, he told us all Erdogan cares about is money and he’s got shit loads of it.

A lot of the younger population and a significant number from the cities have little time for him but his popularity is huge in the more rural areas and within the more conservative population.

Apparently he was skint in 2011 and now has a personal fortune estimated at over $500m, some of his family have also become wealthy in their own right.

It makes me think, whatever UEFA made from this years final Erdogan probably made a chunk of cash from it. Between the Inter and City fans I’d estimate the total spend for the trip was in the region of £100m, then factor in Sponsorships and Corporate another large amount I’m sure. All those services Turkey were paid for and the rip offs, the ambivalence of the police and the lack of organisation, some of the money has gone down a black hole, to where we don’t really know.

The main reason I didnt go was I wasnt prepared to pay so much to be treated like dirty I was also aware of the stadium and paying to watch a football match in a stadium with an athletics track isnt for me, a match that is the pinnacle of world football should be played in a top notch football stadium UEFA has strict regulations for their events and this didnt even meet those. The venue was chosen pre-covid and UEFA clearly had to fulfil their obligations.
UEFA should contract the event to a company who specialize in these type of events regardless of the country it is held in, there are plenty of them about and they should have 100% responsibility for all aspects with penalty clauses for any issues. UEFA should have a fans charter with a promise that includes compensation.
Čeferin has a least acknowledged the problem, yes, the term "not everything was perfect" is political speak, hopefully he will ensure that Istanbul and Paris never happen again, he now has one chance to get it right, he's lucky because Wembley and Munich are the next locations and hopefully things should be "perfect" not withstanding what happened at the Euro Finals
Wembley and Munich will run perfectly and that is the problem. Everyone will pat themselves on the back, huge bonuses will be paid and then we move onto Azerbajan or Malta followed by Philadelphia.
I am sick of them getting it wrong, sick of fans being an after thought and pissed off with City for saying nowt.

Im assuming Ceferin arrived at Manchester airport..... Could he not have been told he had to walk to the conference in the City Centre?
Should have said there would be a bus to pick him up but not only would it sit in an airport car park for 45 minutes, nobody would tell him where the bus is, the driver won’t know the way, no water on board and the heating would be turned up to replicate 30 degrees. And it will be a two hour drive to do 12 miles. Meanwhile not a peep from City about what a shit show it was. Maybe the 1894, OSC and City Matters can write to the club asking where the compensation is and why did they allow fans to be put in jeopardy. Why were no warnings given?

Wembley and Munich will run perfectly and that is the problem. Everyone will pat themselves on the back, huge bonuses will be paid and then we move onto Azerbajan or Malta followed by Philadelphia.
I am sick of them getting it wrong, sick of fans being an after thought and pissed off with City for saying nowt.

This is the problem mate. Wembley and Munich will always be part of the cycle. Not because they're the best venues but more importantly it gives them a bit of 'breathing space'. They don't have to worry about those locations, the unrest will gradually die down and all seems well in the world. So much so enough time has elapsed to take their next backhander to host it in a questionable part of the world.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.