It may not be this year.

We finished 13 points behind everton - even with average away form we should be able to make up that difference.

We finished 21 behind Arsenal, assuming they meet last seasons tally we need to seriously improve to catch them which will mean beating some of the top 4 at home and the likes of Everton , Villa and Tottenham.

Not sure we are up to that with our existing defense

BillyShears said:
mammutly said:
It will indeed be interesting.

What I find amazing however is the praise and optimism lauded on Hughes during the close season, when last year was such a failure. City have made some good signings, but that in itself hasn't made Hughes any better or worse in terms of managerial ability. He has simply bought the best players he can get. I strongly believe that a Mourinho or a Sven could have attracted better, but that's another story.

Regarding the players attracted this summer, yes, you're probably right that Mourinho (Sven? Nah, no chance) could have attracted better players. What baffles me is that while the footballing world at large tend to fall over themselves to praise our manager, and our owners believe in him enough even after last seasons "failure", that segments of our support are still so vitriolic in their criticisms of him...

The extent to which Hughes and Cook have lowered expectations really is a PR triumph. The point has been made before, but give our resources to Rednapp, O'Neil or Moyes and you could be sure that 'top 6 and a decent cup run' would be the least of their aspirations. Yet here we are already proclaiming the same as success!

Lowering expectations, is another way of saying "managing expectations" - which is clearly failing with you since you are positively foaming at the mouth at the prospect of City finishing anywhere but in the Top 4.

The main excuse/reason for this is to do with 'building'. The average age of Hughes' signings ( he did not sign Jo or Robinho) surely gives the lie to that. All he is doing is buying established premiership players. Solid performers to create a solid, hard to beat team. Definite top 6 contenders.
In my opinion, Hughes lacks the wit to take us any further than that. He is a limited manager with aspirations to match. My opinion is based on everything he has achieved as a manager to date. MCFC need a better leader. That's all.

Your opinion, although a valid one, is lacking in any real insight, forethought, or objectivity. It's based solely around the notion that "we're richer, therefore we deserve better". Criticism of some of the team's performances last season are not without merit. However, to suggest that there were not literally a half a dozen mitigating factors, to suggest that last season was not one of incredible upheaval, transition, and change, is....well it lacks insight, forethought, and objectivity.

I respect fully the possibility that Mark Hughes will not finish in the top 4 this season. I do not and cannot respect those so called supporters who are demanding top four, and are suggesting that by not finishing in the top 4 our season will be an abject failure. I cannot respect those posters who from day one have had anti-Hughes agendas for various reasons ranging from his Rag past, to the fact him and Cook were Dr Shinawatra's appointments.

No doubt we have a big season ahead of us, and certainly from my point of view there's a temptation to fuck this board off completely if we don't win our opening dozen games, because no doubt the agenda driven, anti-Hughes brigade, will be swinging from the rafters screaming for his head on a plate.

The poor guy is a football manager, not a messiah. And frankly, when compared with our last fifteen or so managers, he's in the top...well top 2. Perspective that is lost on too many people...

The owners believe in Hughes, and a few outsiders have praised Hughes alot. Heres something Stephen Ireland said about him:

Stephen Ireland has delivered a damning verdict on Manchester City's last three managers by insisting: None of you are a patch on Mark Hughes.
The 22-year-old midfielder has played under four bosses in his spell at City - former England chiefs Kevin Keegan and Sven-Goran Eriksson and current England under-21 boss Stuart Pearce.

But he rates Hughes the best of the lot, and told The Mirror: 'He's a proper manager, the kind which I have always wanted to play under and who covers every aspect of preparation and training.

'He sets targets for individuals and the work we do in small groups is intense and spot-on.

'I have got more confidence this season and that is because the manager has shown his confidence and trust in me.'

Ireland almost never got the chance to play for Hughes at all.

He was lined up for a move to Sunderland and even pulled out of a pre-season friendly to go shopping - before Hughes contacted him for the clash with Milan, insisting he was very much part of his plans.

If Ireland thinks he's the right man for the job then thats good enough for me.

Rammyblues said:
The thing that gets me is why everyone has latched onto only one team breaking the top four, it seems the in thing that it will be either ourselves or Villa or Spuds or Everton to break the monopoly just pondering the fact that more than one team might actually break them. I don't have a problem with us finishing top six, it has always been stated by MH that it would take 4 transfer windows to build a side capable of top four we are only half way through. In my opinion by attracting the players he has we become a better proposition for even better players to join us either in January and next summer. It would give me great pleasure if in May if the top four were City, Villa, Everton Spuds with the sky 4 having to settle for 5th sixth, seventh and eighth. Not going to happen but it would be nice.

Spuds, yes but Villa and Everton have threadbare squads and both had lucky seasons last year, in spite of injury problems. It began to show with Villa in particular as the season progressed. They were churned out a a quite sustained sequence of relegation results following their UEFA debacle.

BillyShears said:
The poor guy is a football manager, not a messiah. And frankly, when compared with our last fifteen or so managers, he's in the top...well top 2. Perspective that is lost on too many people...

This was an excellent post fella.

It's a shame we have a few who would be happier with a Mark Hughes failure than a Man City success, we need everyone behind the club this year. Because if we lost Mark Hughes from aiming at unrealistic goals, then I'm really not sure where we would go from there and that would be a shame.

To break the top four, last season I think Arsenal finsihed with 72 points, to be in with a shout of that the team must average at least 2 points a game. Last season out of the eighteen home games we won 13.

Can we this season with the players we have signed, win our home games and draw away from home. In my opinion only we have signed players who you would expect to get 7 /10 in every game they played, for me, top four is completely douable. Trouble with football is it doesn't come down to being predictable, that is the beauty of football anything can happen. The club stance is top 6, I am content with that, but boy would I celebrate knocking out one of the sky 4, knowing our luck and typical city would be that the team we replace in chumps league will probably win the bloody thing and we will lose out.

ithink we will beat united 3-0 in the home derby with tevez scoring a hattrick to overtake the scum in the league. we will then hold out to win the title.....................................well i would love it if that happens anyway.

Rammyblues said:
The thing that gets me is why everyone has latched onto only one team breaking the top four, it seems the in thing that it will be either ourselves or Villa or Spuds or Everton to break the monopoly just pondering the fact that more than one team might actually break them. I don't have a problem with us finishing top six, it has always been stated by MH that it would take 4 transfer windows to build a side capable of top four we are only half way through. In my opinion by attracting the players he has we become a better proposition for even better players to join us either in January and next summer. It would give me great pleasure if in May if the top four were City, Villa, Everton Spuds with the sky 4 having to settle for 5th sixth, seventh and eighth. Not going to happen but it would be nice.
That would be like winning a triple rollover or having Kelly Brook stalking you

davymcfc said:
ithink we will beat united 3-0 in the home derby with tevez scoring a hattrick to overtake the scum in the league. we will then hold out to win the title.....................................well i would love it if that happens anyway.

Love it to happen!!! I'd be willing to let an elephant tip toe on my love spuds for that davy.

blueinbolton77 said:
It's a shame we have a few who would be happier with a Mark Hughes failure than a Man City success, we need everyone behind the club this year. Because if we lost Mark Hughes from aiming at unrealistic goals, then I'm really not sure where we would go from there and that would be a shame.

This comes up every time MH is debated, and frankly its bollox, not one City fan I know WANTS MH to fail, rather than City be a success.

There are plenty though who watched us last year, and saw little or no improvement in various aspects of the team, I don't care what people say, MH and his coaching staff are responsible for getting that improvement.

The defence (largely the same as the previous season) went backwards, our away form showed no sign of improving from start to finish, all things that if he and his staff were good enough then we would have shown some improvement in. But to those who laud MH as some super hero, it was ALL the players fault.

Anyway that's last year, so what about this ? Its totally his squad now, even he wouldn't disagree, he's been given a (very conservative in my opinion) top 6 target, but with the money spent adding to what we already had, the top 4 is possible, and should be achievable, but it will mean the team showing a lot more balls away from home than it did last year, and it will need some proper organisation, players playing in the positions they are best at, a squad pulling together.

As someone says above, the bar has been greatly raised now, I think the "top 6" is for public consumption, but the true target is to challenge at the top, expectation have rightly been raised too, and MH now has the team he wanted in place (bar maybe one or two).

Our first 3 games should all be winnable, but they are games that won't be easy, 1 bogey team, a newly promoted side still on a high, and another we often struggle away from with. They will be a great marker as to where we will finish. 6 or 7 points as a minimum for me.

Finally this stability thing is a red herring, if the manager isn't up to the job, no matter who he is, he should be replaced for the best interest of the club.

Mourinho won things in his first season at Chelsea, so why not MH in his second, if he's so good.

cleavers said:
Mourinho won things in his first season at Chelsea, so why not MH in his second, if he's so good.

Yeah you're right. Let's sack him. It's always solved our problems before.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.