italy and uruguay, are they all that?

Stoned Rose said:
We're better than both and 'should' slap them both.

Probably won't though.

Don't agree with the first bit, but I do agree we'll be slapping them... while they put in a few good jabs and then an uppercut just under the jaw.

Italy have a better stating XI and a better overall squad than both England and Uruguay.

Can see Italy topping the group with England edging out Uruguay to second. Costa Rica likely to lose all 3 games.

Italy have the benefit of being a settled side. And they do what they have to. Like Germany they are efficient at winning the games they have to. England were better and more threatening but Italy exploited what was clearly a weakness and made it easy for them. Considering they have had a few key injuries - Rossi, Montolivo and Buffon, they coped well.

It isn't over after one game though and you question how Italy will cope against teams that have a bit more of a solid defence. Uruguay were shocking but Suarez gives them that match winner who can win them a game from nothing. The Dutch had an Aston Villa centre half who played out of his skin. A Swansea City midfielder who stepped up to Xavi, Iniesta and co. And they had Van Persie and Robben who were incredible on the day. England played really well but you have to take your chances and Rooney needed to score the chance he had. That is where the World Cup is won and lost.

We are potentially the best team in the group - in that we can get a lot better. As things are now, Italy, England, Uruguay, Costa Rica in that order. We need to match Costa Rica's style of play - pace up front and expose Lugano and the Uruguayan midfield.

If we play the same formation but with Sterling and Rooney switched, we will win the game on Thursday and should therefore make it to the knockouts.

sam-caddick said:
Most days I keep hearing England are going to get battered by these two teams but I question whether they are as good as many are making out.

Italy: Pirlo, Motta and De Rossi is as good a midfield trio as you are going to get in the World Cup but they lack a truly great striker from what I see, they have lost arguably their most influential creative force in the final third in Montolivo and whilst their defence is made up mostly of Juventus players, Juventus were pretty poor in a Champions League group they should have got out of.

I think they have a good first XI but I don't see many game changers on their bench.

Uruguay:

Suarez is world class and so is Cavani on his day but he has never done it in a Uruguay shirt for me, they have Godin in defence who is top class but they also have Lugano who struggled to get a game at West Brom, they look an ageing team to me that is likely going to sit deep and counter.

I don't think England are that far behind if at all to be honest and I question whether if we get our team selection and tactics right we could top our group.

I think England will find their level against Costa Rica...sorry op but England will continually be fuelled by high octane fantasies and delusions of grandeur by the media...

Again tonight's result will go down to bad luck and not the fact that they have been beaten by better teams...seriously England are miles behind Italy...too any people believe what they read in the sun newspaper in England...

AlgarveBlu said:
sam-caddick said:
Most days I keep hearing England are going to get battered by these two teams but I question whether they are as good as many are making out.

Italy: Pirlo, Motta and De Rossi is as good a midfield trio as you are going to get in the World Cup but they lack a truly great striker from what I see, they have lost arguably their most influential creative force in the final third in Montolivo and whilst their defence is made up mostly of Juventus players, Juventus were pretty poor in a Champions League group they should have got out of.

I think they have a good first XI but I don't see many game changers on their bench.

Uruguay:

Suarez is world class and so is Cavani on his day but he has never done it in a Uruguay shirt for me, they have Godin in defence who is top class but they also have Lugano who struggled to get a game at West Brom, they look an ageing team to me that is likely going to sit deep and counter.

I don't think England are that far behind if at all to be honest and I question whether if we get our team selection and tactics right we could top our group.

I think England will find their level against Costa Rica...sorry op but England will continually be fuelled by high octane fantasies and delusions of grandeur by the media...

Again tonight's result will go down to bad luck and not the fact that they have been beaten by better teams...seriously England are miles behind Italy...too any people believe what they read in the sun newspaper in England...

Although this doesn't say much about Italy and Uruguay, as we set the bar so low.

Italy are young and not so good, Uruguay had injuries and are experienced but not great. They still despatched us.

Anyway, those who like a bet, pop a few quid on Italy v Uruguay to be a draw, especially before Italy beat Costa Rica.

shemnel said:
Italy are young and not so good, Uruguay had injuries and are experienced but not great. They still despatched us.

Anyway, those who like a bet, pop a few quid on Italy v Uruguay to be a draw, especially before Italy beat Costa Rica.

Uruguay need to win they can't rely on England beating Costa Rica.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.