Italy v England | Euro 2020 Final

What will the result be?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Don't know so much about blowing Denmark away.
Yes we were the better side for much of the game, but it was a joke of a penalty that saw us progress
Also got away with his tactics for me. We battered them that first half of extra time. They were on the ropes and we scored. We then decided to take a fresh Grealish off and go to a back 5 and invite fifteen mins of pressure from them which they didn’t have in them previously. Pumped a lot of balls into the box, won a few corners which can easily lead to goals. Thankfully it didn’t and by winning many may say it was proved right. I said at that point we’d lose the final because of him.

Also got away with his tactics for me. We battered them that first half of extra time. They were on the ropes and we scored. We then decided to take a fresh Grealish off and go to a back 5 and invite fifteen mins of pressure from them which they didn’t have in them previously. Pumped a lot of balls into the box, won a few corners which can easily lead to goals. Thankfully it didn’t and by winning many may say it was proved right. I said at that point we’d lose the final because of him.
I backed Italy from the start for no other reason than. SIR BOBBY MANC

As soon as the Italians scored, I walked out, went for a very long walk, the same trick I used when we needed 2 goals vs QPR, sadly I got back just as the penalties were on, and the magic fizzled out, sorry guys, it’s on me! If only I’d walked 5 mins longer!

I mean, the most baffling thing for us Italians fans is just the assured, pumped up view of shouting from the rooftops that you're gonna win before the match even starts, but to us it's the same kind of "baffling" as a man who shoots his own foot. The reason is that we are very superstitious in football, so for example if you'd read through some Italian fan pages before the match all the messages were "Congrats to England for winning the Euros!" and stuff like that. We call it "gufare" in Italian (lit. "to owl", because owls are bad luck birds), which simply means to jinx the other team by assuredly announcing that they'll win. Because of that, seeing you guys jinx yourselves with the innocent carelessness of children is culturally incomprehensible to us. We are glad you keep doing it though.

I know the song was originally ironic and lighthearted but let's not kid ourselves, when your fans shout "It's coming home!" they don't use it in a self-deprecating way at all. They use it with those exact connotations that we "ignorant foreigners" perceived. So yeah Skinner & co. created it with a certain meaning in mind, but the phrase itself has been adopted by fans as a standalone which they use at face value.

That’s your perception but it’s wrong. The song brings people together in a way no other song could.

My mrs 93 year old grandma who has seen probably ten games of football in her life got caught up with it coming home as all her family got into the spirit of things as the tournament progresses.

It’s coming home is no different to we’re going to win it, it’s just different words.

Don't know so much about blowing Denmark away.
Yes we were the better side for much of the game, but it was a joke of a penalty that saw us progress

We destroyed them in ET when we made our subs. It was the most comfortable ET I have ever seen watching England. And then when they threw another striker on he threw another defender on to go to a back 3 to deal with it. We passed it around the park without a problem to see the game out.

It wasn't a pen but the goal was coming. His issue in the final was not reacting to Mancini's changes until they had scored. At 1-1 Italy were still the better side but more than happy to take us to pens because they were confident they could win.

He fucked the final. In many ways going 1-0 down would have been better and forced him to go more attacking. Those first 15mins of the second half were disastrous and yet Mancini made changes to take advantage and Southgate sat off hoping we would see it out and could then put 5 defenders on to hold on. We should have put more pace on to take advantage. Allowed an out ball over the top to force their players from over committing.

But maybe one day everything will fall into place. Next Nov/Dec I hope!

I mean, the most baffling thing for us Italians fans is just the assured, pumped up view of shouting from the rooftops that you're gonna win before the match even starts, but to us it's the same kind of "baffling" as a man who shoots his own foot. The reason is that we are very superstitious in football, so for example if you'd read through some Italian fan pages before the match all the messages were "Congrats to England for winning the Euros!" and stuff like that. We call it "gufare" in Italian (lit. "to owl", because owls are bad luck birds), which simply means to jinx the other team by assuredly announcing that they'll win. Because of that, seeing you guys jinx yourselves with the innocent carelessness of children is culturally incomprehensible to us. We are glad you keep doing it though.

I know the song was originally ironic and lighthearted but let's not kid ourselves, when your fans shout "It's coming home!" they don't use it in a self-deprecating way at all. They use it with those exact connotations that we "ignorant foreigners" perceived. So yeah Skinner & co. created it with a certain meaning in mind, but the phrase itself has been adopted by fans as a standalone which they use at face value.
It appears that the rest of the world just doesn’t “get” English football song culture.

When Yeovil Town fans sing “and it’s Yeovil Town, Yeovil Town FC, we’re by far the greatest team that the world has ever seen”; you need to realise that Yeovil Town fans don’t really think that! And no other sets of fans laugh at Yeovil fans for singing it, we don’t think they really think it, and when Yeovil lose or get related no other sets of fans start saying “hahaha we thought you were the greatest team the world has ever seen?!”

City’s club song is called “The Boys In Blue” and the main line in the song is “the boys in blue never give in”, numerous times at the Etihad and even at Wembley a few years ago in the EFL Cup final we had banners in our end saying that:
BDBC1784-51C7-46AF-9895-726878F99D5E.jpeg

You can even buy t-shirts with it on.

But we’ve all seen City teams and players give in many many… many many many… times over the years.

We sang “CITY CITY The Best Team In The Land And All The World” when we were in divisions below the Premier League.

But theyre just a football songs, they are not literal.

Three Lions It’s just a song that England fans sing when they get excited. There’s no deeper meaning, arrogance, delusion or anything else attached to singing the song or saying it as a phrase… it’s just a football song. When England do well and look like they might go somewhere in a competition, expect to hear it regularly.

So throwing it back at us because you think we sing songs in arrogance just makes us think none of you get English football song culture, rather than making us cower back to our holes hiding in shame.

Last edited by a moderator:
It appears that the rest of the world just doesn’t “get” English football song culture.

When Yeovil Town fans sing “and it’s Yeovil Town, Yeovil Town FC, we’re by far the greatest team that the world has ever seen”; you need to realise that Yeovil Town fans don’t really think that! And no other sets of fans laugh at Yeovil fans for singing it, we don’t think they really think it, and when Yeovil lose or get related no other sets of fans start saying “hahaha we thought you were the greatest team the world has ever seen?!”

City’s club song is called “The Boys In Blue” and the main line in the song is “the boys in blue never give in”, numerous times at the Etihad and even at Wembley a few years ago in the EFL Cup final we had banners in our end saying that:
View attachment 21479

You can even buy t-shirts with it on.

But we’ve all seen City teams and players give in many many… many many many… times over the years.

We sang “CITY CITY The Best Team In The Land And All The World” when we were in divisions below the Premier League.

But theyre just a football songs, they are not literal.

Three Lions It’s just a song that England fans sing when they get excited. There’s no deeper meaning, arrogance, delusion or anything else attached to singing the song or saying it as a phrase… it’s just a football song. When England do well and look like they might go somewhere in a competition, expect to hear it regularly.

So throwing it back at us because you think we sing songs in arrogance just makes us think none of you get English football song culture, rather than making us cower back to our holes hiding in shame.
We‘ve sang that song for 25 years, the only arrogance is from those calling us arrogant.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.