It's Quiet 17 - Glory Thread

I wouldn't worry about Cancelo - bear in mind that Stones can cover RB, and Ake can cover left back, and will expect to get regular games.

Cancelo was also our most used player last season by a huge distance - he played over 4600 minutes, while no other outfield player was over 4000, and he played almost twice as many minutes as Walker. He's hardly ever injured, and is clearly one of those players who recovers incredibly quickly despite being in a position where he's expected to cover a lot of the pitch.

Fair point. I just think we should be thinking ahead with Walker's age being a factor; Cancelo's future lies firmly on the left, for me, and I don't think we should be breaking Stones' rhythm too much by moving him to the right.

He will play Philips as CB if the worst happened.

Possibly more likely Rodri, with Phillips as DM.

But its all fine doing that in the odd game against Bournemouth, but when it's week in week out it costs you points and you get knocked out of cups.

Would understand possibly keeping Taylor-Bellis as 4th CB, but that doesn't seem likely and Mbete is a couple of years younger, so we couldn't be expecting him to fill in for months if needed. No, it's not how we do things. if Ake goes we'll buy someone (and I don't mean Cucurella, no way we sign a proper left back and play him at centre back, especially when he's 5' 8").

View attachment 48379

So, this is how we're currently looking - fill Ake in with a replacement if he gets bought.

To me, Cancelo is working over-time too much there for my liking with Walker not getting any younger, and RW also looks light. Bring in Gnabry and a young RB who can do a shift and I'd say we're pretty much in a perfect position.
Laporte in the first team?! Jesus christ

With Cucurella coming in I'd expect that Cancelo will get his fair share of games on the right

I think so, too, but I'm not sure that's a long-term solution. Cancelo looks a great deal more at home on the left where he gives away possession a lot less, to my eye. Cancelo/Cucurella is a perfect LB set, but I would like to be able to say the same on the right. I don't think it's some season-melting shortage, but when you have Pep and Haaland and KDB, you want every piece of the puzzle to come together to get the most out of those era-defining stars.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.