It's Quiet 17 - Glory Thread

That's fair enough. Sterling has been degrading in a City shirt and Ake is a fourth-choice centre-back.

Irrespective of their ages, perceived physical prime, my own (subjective) context is those players I did cite were key components and we still kept on winning.

Sterling and Ake are not, and they are replaceable.

City have the choice of what to do if players like Sterling and Ake are sold. If they think they need to replace them to bolster the squad to challenge for everything, again, they will buy.

If Ake goes I hope we bring in a very good RB rather than a CB.

Preferably a RB who can also be 4th choice CB along with Phillips, Walker, Rodri and the kids.

I know we struggled for CB last year but I'm afraid that at RB we could struggle even more if Walker gets injured (and he's getting old now... for a sports person that is).
Cancelo if we bring in a left back, and if needed walker can play centre back. I'd rather get a centre back though.

agree in the main but losing Raz Gabby Fern Ake and possibly Bernie in one window is very risky. they are all multi title winners ffs. how do you top that .
Multiple title winners yes, but they've also been key players when we've bottled the Champions league

No it's not like they've been individually responsible but they are part of the group that hasn't been able to grab the trophy we want the most

We've won 4 in 5 in the Prem....maybe a refresh and new characters could get us the champions league

It is a risk, but you can't buy new starters without letting a few go

Think Haaland seems the type to have that winners elite mentality that can be the difference in a Europe final/semi-final

For me if it is a choice of Palmer or another team's young promising player, I'd rather see Palmer get the backing.

Likewise if the choice is Neymar or such a costly 30+ year old temporary fill, I'd happily see Palmer given a proper go.

Anything inbetween, I'd rather see an established experienced first team player replace Sterling and Jesus combined, which is a heck of an ask.

I think expectations of Palmer are way too high, and people will be disappointed. Seen it so many times before, Delap, THB, Tosin, Denayer, Rekik, Diaz and loads more. Even Foden. In the sense that after a handful of bit part appearences people expected him to just start games suddenly and replace David, when in reality he had a couple more seasons of building up appearences.

Players don't just 'break through' like some imagine Palmer will. They edge their way quietly into the team. They also do ut surrounded by a fully functioning team of regulars, not with a huge void to fill and responsibility on them to match record numbers. Hope Palmer does in the long run work his way to a regular for us, and a damn good one. But won't be a case of the club just trusting him to step up from 4 cameo appearances last season to replacing 90m+ worth of players.
He wouldn't be replacing Jesus and Sterling though. For me Haaland and Alvarez are. I know people will say thay are Aguero's and Torres' replacement but Aguero and Torres hardly hard starring roles in the 20/21 season, Aguero then obviously left and again Torres left halfway through last season having been injured from around October. So for me the new lads are not replacing them, but Sterling and Jesus instead.
As for Palmer I'm not expecting him to be a world beater off the bat and start 20-25 games, but with Haaland likely to be the main man that only leaves two spots on the right and left with tye likes of Foden, Grealish, alvarez, mahrez and even Bernardo capable of playing there. So if Palmer only played 10 league games and a few cup games he will have done well.

Multiple title winners yes, but they've also been key players when we've bottled the Champions league

No it's not like they've been individually responsible but they are part of the group that hasn't been able to grab the trophy we want the most

We've won 4 in 5 in the Prem....maybe a refresh and new characters could get us the champions league

It is a risk, but you can't buy new starters without letting a few go

Think Haaland seems the type to have that winners elite mentality that can be the difference in a Europe final/semi-final
Bottled the Champions league?

Yeah ok mate.

You sound like that prick Chris Sutton.

If Ake does go who do we bring in as 4th choice cb?

There have been a few links throughout the year, of CBs we were supposedly keeping an eye on should Laporte wish to leave. I imagine one of those would still be on the club's radar. The likes of Lissandro Martinez etc, can't remember them all, but I'm sure a few have been scouted for long term interest.

It still blows my mind when people suggest Ake won't be replaced, and we'd go into the season with 3 CBs. More than it does when they suggest Sterling won't be replaced.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.