It's Quiet 17 - Glory Thread

Then what if we have miracle season where everyone is rarely getting injured and fit enough to play, what then?

It will only leads the same situation again, some player particulary that mostly get benched will be unhappy and we forced to sell him and getting his replacement.

Then you win the fucking whole lot.

Someone will want to leave, and will leave, and be replaced every summer, regardless.

The issue with that, is you lose one player you are fucked in two positions. Cancelo gets injured or suspended, Walker plays every game then, wears himself out. Cucurella also plays every game at LB as a consequence. Walker gets injured, Cucurella plays evert game then, as Cancelo plays every game at RB. Etc. And that's just with one. The club Could go with 3 and the flexibility, I am not debating there is logic in that, given the quality of players. But with 60 odd games to play, money to spend, 2 spare spaces in a squad, it would be irresponsible imo.

That is what we saw a lot of last season, and why we hobbled and limped over the line. Once one goes, the others have no rotation, and they are likely to go too.

You can't secure against every possible injury crisis. Otherwise, we have to invest 200m in 3rd, 4th or even 5th choice players. What if Haaland and Alvarez get injured? Should we buy another striker to make sure we'll be OK in attack in case both Haaland and Alvarez get injured?

Cancelo is reliable fitness wise. If he misses 4-5 games through injury, Walker/Stones on the right and Cucu/Ake on the left are enough to deal with his absence. If Cancelo gets a bad injury, we buy a FB in January.

How much would a quality 4th FB cost us? 40m? Is it realistic to think we'll spend the Sterling/Jesus money on two FBs? What if Cancelo and Walker are mostly fit and the 4th FB plays only few minutes the whole season (which minutes we might give to Ake or Wilson-Esbrand as well)?

You can't secure against all possible injury crises. If a freak injury crisis happens, you find solutions as you go and address the problem next transfer window.

Last edited:
You can't secure against every possible injury crisis. Otherwise, we have to invest 200m in 3rd, 4th or even 5th choice players. What if Haaland and Alvarez get injured? Should we buy another striker to make sure we'll be OK in attack in case both Haaland and Alvarez get injured?

Cancelo is reliable fitness wise. If he misses 4-5 games through injury, Walker/Stones on the right and Cucu/Ake on the left are enough to deal with his absence. If Cancelo gets a bad injury, we buy a FB in January.

How much would a quality 4th FB cost us? 40m? Is it realistic to think we'll spend the Sterling/Jesus money on two FBs? What if Cancelo and Walker are mostly fit and the 4th FB plays only few minutes the whole season (which minutes we might give to Ake or Wilson-Esbrand as well)?

You can't secure against all possible injury crises. If a freak injury crisis happens, you find solutions as you go and adress the problem next transfer window.

That is a bollocks twist on it and a pointless extremity that I won't even entertain, because it obviously isn't what I suggested. And you know it. Lets not waste hyperspace with irrelevant whataboutery.

I recognise the club could go with 3FBs. I know the quality and flexibility of the lads. Or 3 CBs. Or no strikers.

But I think it is daft, limits a well put together and heavily invested in squad, and having already made do one season and rectified a lot of that, having to make do again is silly. Particularly when the space and money is there.

But I think it is daft.

You take your opinion a bit too seriously. Trust the best professionals in the game. And trust also Palmer and McAtee, maybe other youngsters will surprise with their quick development too. Buying new experienced players in order to have 2 experienced options in every position would block the path of outstanding academy talents. Maybe you are underestimating Palmer and McAtee? Maybe Pep is not daft and can plan a squad better than you?

I think the plan for the next seasons is to integrate academy talents and give them more opportunities. Is that a daft plan?

You take your opinion a bit too seriously. Trust the best professionals in the game. And trust also Palmer and McAtee, maybe other youngsters will surprise with their quick development too. Buying new experienced players in order to have at least 2 experienced options in every position would block the path of outstanding academy talents. Maybe you are underestimating Palmer and McAtee? Maybe Pep is not daft and can plan a squad better than you?

I think the plan for the next seasons is to integrate academy talents and give them more opportunities. Is that a daft plan?

What do Palmer and Mcatee have to do with fullbacks?

Which youngsters do you see coming in at FB btw. That is an honest question.

What do Palmer and Mcatee have to do with fullbacks?

You are complaining about the size of the squad. Yoy say it's too small, no?

We have enough options at FB:

Walker, Cancelo, Stones at RB
Cancelo, new LB, Ake, Wilson-Esbrand at LB.

A 4th FB might play only 500 minutes: might be pointless to invest 30-40m in a quality 4th FB then.

Pep, who in 6 seasons here has only given one youth player a chance, and a controlled gradual one at that, is suddenly going to go into potentially his last season trusting 3-5 youngsters to fill in first team roles. Yes believable. More likely he will play senior players out of position and come up with solutions with whoever is fit.

Pep, who in 6 seasons here has only given one youth player a chance, and a controlled gradual one at that, is suddenly going to go into potentially his last season trusting 3-5 youngsters to fill in first team roles. Yes believable. More likely he will play senior players out of position and come up with solutions with whoever is fit.
Pep has used kids before in his career and that went quite well you just have to think maybe we’ve never had a group good enough. Look at this window already when was the last time we were selling academy players for this much, we may finally be there.

Reactions: kun

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.