It's Quiet 17 - Glory Thread

How you doing brother, everything good?
Much better mate! Hope you’re well too?

I struggled end of last season to get some perspective on football but been working on that this summer so hopefully be a tad more temperate this year. Though will likely still flap

Disappointing, if true. He won't count as club trained for us then.

Think it shows that people that keep hoping Pep will use kids this year have their heads in the clouds.

With 3 spare squad spaces, the smallest squad we've ever had, and effectively two wingers down, surely keeping him around for a year of bit part appearances, and getting his CT box ticked would be sensible.

Disappointing, if true. He won't count as club trained for us then.

Think it shows that people that keep hoping Pep will use kids this year have their heads in the clouds.

With 3 spare squad spaces, the smallest squad we've ever had, and effectively two wingers down, surely keeping him around for a year of bit part appearances, and getting his CT box ticked would be sensible.
There are just people ahead of him, I think.

There are just people ahead of him, I think.

Palmer maybe, sure. Who according to a few here is already a first team regular and all round player for every position.

Helpful having both imo, this season when we are light, and also long term, a good thing to have him complete his CT period. Even if he then is sold with a buy-back, means if he does ever get good enough to come back that is there.

It is this wishful thinking that Pep will use kids to fill the gaps in our squad. I would honestly love it if he did, and respect the club's decision to not sign any more. But as player after player people keep mentioning leaves the club, pretty evident he won't.

Palmer maybe, sure. Who according to a few here is already a first team regular and all round player for every position.

Helpful having both imo, this season when we are light, and also long term, a good thing to have him complete his CT period. Even if he then is sold with a buy-back, means if he does ever get good enough to come back that is there.

It is this wishful thinking that Pep will use kids to fill the gaps in our squad. I would honestly love it if he did, and respect the club's decision to not sign any more. But as player after player people keep mentioning leaves the club, pretty evident he won't.
We clearly are on the same page about young players. As for Cole, I think there is a feeling that he could be a great player and, naturally, people are enthusiastic about him; I don't think anyone expects him to play anywhere other than on the right side though.

I was really thinking about players like Oscar Bobb, Carlos Borges and Sam Edozie (whose loan/sale appears to have passed). I think Bobb has more to his game than Kayky, but it always remains to be seen when the step up is made. As for Borges, he is dynamite at academy level, as is Mbude.

I hope they get opportunities but I am realistic enough to note that we compete on all fronts. I hope that this is the year that we blood a few more in cup competitions (Delap, Mbete, Wilson-Esbrand, Lewis) and also give them minutes in the PL (in games where we are comfortably winning) so that they are ready when called upon. This could be the year, for two reasons: their talent, and our squad size.

I think the ‘Pep uses kids’ mantra has come from that Barca team but let’s face it, the ‘kids’ he was using were Messi, Iniesta, Xavi, Busquets, Alba, Pique, Pedro etc. who were a cut above the rest in European football, never mind just at Barca.

He’s brilliant for young players in the sense that if he can develop the games of an ageing Silva or Aguero then just by coaching he will do wonders for youngsters regardless of if he plays them.

It’s why I don’t hold out much hope for JWE playing too much this season despite being short in the position and him impressing in pre-season. Instead we’ll adapt with the senior players and/or bring in a left back.

Not necessarily anything wrong with it all, just we’ll only see unbelievable players come through to the first team - like Palmer, Foden have and hopefully like McAtee and others will.

I think the ‘Pep uses kids’ mantra has come from that Barca team but let’s face it, the ‘kids’ he was using were Messi, Iniesta, Xavi, Busquets, Alba, Pique, Pedro etc. who were a cut above the rest in European football, never mind just at Barca.

He’s brilliant for young players in the sense that if he can develop the games of an ageing Silva or Aguero then just by coaching he will do wonders for youngsters regardless of if he plays them.

It’s why I don’t hold out much hope for JWE playing too much this season despite being short in the position and him impressing in pre-season. Instead we’ll adapt with the senior players and/or bring in a left back.

Not necessarily anything wrong with it all, just we’ll only see unbelievable players come through to the first team - like Palmer, Foden have and hopefully like McAtee and others will.

He was asked in his press conference if he thought the squad depth was enough. And although he eventually got to the stock answer and the 'we have an academy' line. The long drawn out groan while thinking about what to say said it all. The academy is there to accumulate money. Every so often, someone special will come up, and filter (not burst) into the first team. But expecting players who haven't had a single appearance yet to come in and fill in actual holes in the squad, is far fetched.

We clearly are on the same page about young players. As for Cole, I think there is a feeling that he could be a great player and, naturally, people are enthusiastic about him; I don't think anyone expects him to play anywhere other than on the right side though.

I was really thinking about players like Oscar Bobb, Carlos Borges and Sam Edozie (whose loan/sale appears to have passed). I think Bobb has more to his game than Kayky, but it always remains to be seen when the step up is made. As for Borges, he is dynamite at academy level, as is Mbude.

I hope they get opportunities but I am realistic enough to note that we compete on all fronts. I hope that this is the year that we blood a few more in cup competitions (Delap, Mbete, Wilson-Esbrand, Lewis) and also give them minutes in the PL (in games where we are comfortably winning) so that they are ready when called upon. This could be the year, for two reasons: their talent, and our squad size.

I Think Palmer will turn out as good if not better than Foden. As for McAtee he has everything to be a great player but whether he gets to Fodens and Palmer levels is about luck, game time and being brave enough to show his abilities but not enough that he tries to beat the whole opposition team on his own.
Ibrahim Diaz was such a player, he had skills in abundance but carried the ball till it got taken off him. He never seemed to get it.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.