It's Quiet 17 - Glory Thread

@tolmie's hairdoo Beautiful transfer window.

I only have 1 thing in the back of my mind.. it seems PSG bid came too late so Bernardo is staying but that may not be the case next year.

Also perhaps we weren't sold on Paqueta and Nunes fully so City never looked at it seriously but we should start looking for his full time replacement now.

I still don't think Bellingham is the replacement..

Maybe its Romeo Lavia and we wanted to give him a year's PL experience..

Maybe I'm wrong. Time will tell..
I would take Barella in a heartbeat. A tremendous amount of ability and experience and at 25 just approaching his peak years. It would be very expensive but if Bernardo were to go that money would be available as well as the profits from this past January and July/August. It would be unlikely he would want to leave Inter, but it would be worth trying. And please no silly commentary about Serie A, Italy, etc. as he is absolutely world class and would thrive in any league on the planet. One of the few players in world football who would match Bernardo's work rate.
levels above Nunes, Paqueta, etc.

Heard something interesting that I'll share with you all. I have a buddy who's a South American scout for an MLS club. He heard a couple of things that are City related.

1) Good news: CFG scouts have been heavily scouting Alan Varela. He is a 6 but can operate as an 8. Probably the best player in Argentina now that Alvarez is gone. He's seen the same scout at the Boca games that were previously scouting Alvarez and Fernandez at River Plate.

2) Real Madrid scouts have been speaking to River Plate personnel, recently, about Julian Alvarez. The word is they are doing background type checks. He speculated they might view Alvarez as an eventual Benzema replacement.

Just want to say, I'm not an ITK and I don't claim to be one. However, I have many friends that are employed in the world of football.
Fuck Real Madrid.

Haaland alone gets you a 9.5 at a minimum. How about we get serious here.
Do we only play Haaland, or have another 10 players with him?

I'm basing my 8/10 on our squad over the course of a season. Us not having another senior top class LB & LW may become a major issue in the months to come, just like many City fans feared last season.

It's about standards & levels of expectation. I'm very happy with this window, but would have been ecstatic if we'd got Cucurella (as well as Gomez & Akanji) & did a deal for Neymar or another world class left footed, left sided forward to feed Haaland without having to check back onto his stronger foot.

(NB: Before you say anything, I know Neymar's right footed.)

I'm basing my 8/10 on our squad over the course of a season. Us not having another senior top class LB & LW may become a major issue in the months to come, just like many City fans feared last season.

It's about standards & levels of expectation. I'm very happy with this window, but would have been ecstatic if we'd got Cucurella (as well as Gomez & Akanji) & did a deal for Neymar or another world class left footed, left sided forward to feed Haaland without having to check back onto his stronger foot.

And then you have an unhappy squad because people don't get to play.

Pep is managing squad size, playtime, egos and trying to keep them all happy.

And if you really think we have no depth at left back, go look at Joshua Wilson-Esbrand vs Bayern.

Incredible window for us.

To make a profit of over £60m and to make the overall side stronger is unbelievable to be honest. If we keep the majority of this squad fit and have some much needed luck when it matters, we could win the lot this season, the squad is that good.

Compare us to our rivals and its not even close who has had the best window. Chelsea spent nearly £300m and I'm not even convinced they're any better. Utd look a bit stronger but messed around for months going from strategy to strategy to sign players. Their strategy, like Chelsea, has been scattergun. Liverpool have spent £85m on a striker that couldnt lace Haaland's boots and panicked at the end to sign a midfielder on loan. Arsenal have signed well but they're still a couple short in my opinion.

Sterling nor Gabby are left footed either and while I loved Zinny I wouldn't call him a top class LB. So we haven't lost much in terms of structure. Having watched Ortega, he is miles above Steffen in terms of playing with his feet out of the back. Phillips is a huge upgrade over the elder Dinho. Alvarez is class. And Akanji and Gomez combined far outweigh the loss of Zinchenko and then some. Add in the goal scoring monster and we are miles above last year's team and that is saying something. Of course I know we play with Haaland + 10. I was being somewhat facetious, however, I'll stick to a 9.5 easily. JMO.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.