It's Quiet 17 - Glory Thread

Is this more that you / we the fans would like a ‘pacy winger’? As I don’t think Pep sees it that way. He will have seen we missed at least two golden opportunities to score the second / third goal and put the game to bed. A pacy winger wouldn’t have changed that, we dominated the game but succumbed to a one punch goal and an almighty amount of shithousery.

Our game isn’t built on pace anymore and the squad has been built that way over the last few seasons.
This is so true. Those that are critical of our lack of pace and the performances of Grealish and Mahrez are just not getting what Pep has done/is doing.

I'm on record as saying I don't like this version of the team as much as others but it is quite deliberate and who knows may be the version that wins the CL. I still think there is a version to come that uses Haalands extraordinary set of skills better. The number of runs he makes to break the defence that go unrewarded......

Is this more that you / we the fans would like a ‘pacy winger’? As I don’t think Pep sees it that way. He will have seen we missed at least two golden opportunities to score the second / third goal and put the game to bed. A pacy winger wouldn’t have changed that, we dominated the game but succumbed to a one punch goal and an almighty amount of shithousery.

Our game isn’t built on pace anymore and the squad has been built that way over the last few seasons.

Having a team not built on pace doesn't mean that adding some pace isn't desirable. Our style at the moment is mostly inverted wingers and one or two inverted fullbacks, with some underlapping midfield runs. They are very good at it, but because the wing options are all quite similar, when it doesn't work, the replacements off the bench are often asked to just come on, do the same but better. It doesn't make the defence have a different threat to face, whereas some variety would. Not that I bemoan their moves, but Jesus (often offside) and Sterling would try to make runs behind and stretch the defence. They also offered acceleration/pace in the wide channels.

Personally, I think we either need to look at academy products that fit that bill or see what options are out there. It doesn't always need to be a superstar, as they wouldn't necessarily be the Plan A choice.

A team needs a variety of tactical approaches, even the long boot from a goal kick, put pressure on defenders to defend, they need make only one mistake! We seem to put all our attacking options into one basket - keeping the ball. Not a bit of wonder our back four have the greatest number of passes! There has been a couple of occasions in the last two home games where the passing/possession was delivered with a higher tempo and you could see the panic in the opposition faces.

It wont. Dont get your hopes up as it just wont.

Hopes defo not up mate, we know the club work a window in advance so the summer moves will already be decided and unless a ridiculous offer comes up (which never happens) or we get a couple of long term injuries and the club being forward a transfer then we go as is.

Having a pacy skilful winger would help against a team that blocks off the penalty box. Yesterday was a good example when Foden went past the full back and was pulling the central defenders out of position

Foden is quick but If that would have been Sane back in the day he would have brought a vital extra few seconds that would have created more space to get a cross or shot away.

Grealish is not the answer as he doesn’t have the acceleration or directness and it seems that Pep doesn’t see him dropping deeper and central as an option

I really could see Grealish being replaced this summer by a natural winger

The Napoli left winger would fit the bill, pacey two footed, lots of tricks, very unpredictable, good on the ball, works his bollocks off pressing. I know Napoli not easy to deal with but he would be ideal. We pissed about a bit last time with Jorginho, big offer on the table this summer and offer a different variation to this constant passing inside for 85 mins.

The Napoli left winger would fit the bill, pacey two footed, lots of tricks, very unpredictable, good on the ball, works his bollocks off pressing. I know Napoli not easy to deal with but he would be ideal. We pissed about a bit last time with Jorginho, big offer on the table this summer and offer a different variation to this constant passing inside for 85 mins.

Yeah I would have him over Mudryk and Leao but I’m sure we won’t go anywhere near him unfortunately

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.