It's Quiet 17 - Glory Thread

Agree with the sentiment that pep is all about control however we’re missing someone pacey and explosive even as just an option that he can mould, like Gumzy has just said people will run down contracts. IF we put the feelers out now on Leao it could work and stop him signing a new contract. He’ll only have a year left in the summer and I don’t believe now we would have to fight off many clubs at all. Nico would have a year left too, Nico is a rough diamond, but so were Sane and Sterling, I don’t think many in England had ever heard of Sane.

Agree with the sentiment that pep is all about control however we’re missing someone pacey and explosive even as just an option that he can mould, like Gumzy has just said people will run down contracts. IF we put the feelers out now on Leao it could work and stop him signing a new contract. He’ll only have a year left in the summer and I don’t believe now we would have to fight off many clubs at all. Nico would have a year left too, Nico is a rough diamond, but so were Sane and Sterling, I don’t think many in England had ever heard of Sane.
It might be crazy but after seeing our net spend in the last five years I don’t get why we don’t just pay Nicos buy out for abour £40 mill as the rough diamond and get Leao possibly 70/80 been as he’d have a year left, I’m not sure it’s possible, feels a bit career mode but then we have pace both Left and Right and have a right footed player on each side, I believe currently we only have 1 winger at the club in Mahrez.

The obsession with pace drives me nuts - there were multiple opportunities to deliver the ball in to Haaland and, for whatever reason, we didn't take those opportunities. That has nothing to do with a lack of pace in the team.

There's a difference in wanting pace for balls into the channel/over the top (which Pep doesn't want) and explosive acceleration to get in behind packed defences when playing the short triangles. Jesus, Aguero, Sane & Sterling were good at the latter

There's a difference in wanting pace for balls into the channel/over the top (which Pep doesn't want) and explosive acceleration to get in behind packed defences when playing the short triangles. Jesus, Aguero, Sane & Sterling were good at the latter

Explosive acceleration is wasted if two banks of five sit across the back - better to have clever players who know when to release it. IMO, we have just had a bit of a dip in form in a transitional, strange season. We must also recognise that Pep has helped to develop the tactical awareness of this country's game, and that has made things harder.

Explosive acceleration is wasted if two banks of five sit across the back - better to have clever players who know when to release it. IMO, we have just had a bit of a dip in form in a transitional, strange season. We must also recognise that Pep has helped to develop the tactical awareness of this country's game, and that has made things harder.
The reason most teams have two banks of 5 for the majority of the game, is because we move at a snails pace. And I'm talking about when we win the ball back

No not exactly I’m just trying to pint out that a very good dribbler isn’t a complete no no with pep. Just passing the ball all the time has become predictable and stale, somebody who can run into the box at speed with close control would give defences something else to think about. Also sometimes we need to break in transition with more pace and less pausa.
Cant disagree with this. Our style of play has led pretty much to all teams playing with the back 5 and 5 and hoping to do us on the break. Result of our success. I'd like a little more speed and risk taken, mix it up a little.

Personally feel a David silva with haaland would thrive, closest to that would be foden currently playing centrally.

The point is pep does not want players to pick the ball and try beat players he want control pass move! You dribble with the ball your more likely to lose it! We know Pep he wants control and to keep the ball at all cost..
He knows he needs both.

He likes passing and moving to help maintain control, but he knows you need dribblers to break lines. He doesn't want players picking the ball up in their own half trying to dribble the length of the pitch and score.

Every single one of Pep's teams had multiple world class dribblers.

Barcelona: Messi, Sanchez, Iniesta, Pedro
Bayern: Robben, Ribery, Costa, Coman
City: Bernardo, Sané, Sterling, Foden

They are not a "waste of time" in our team at all. We are just a little short on width and pace atm giving the few dribblers we have any space. Pep is trying to work out how this team works with the players at his disposal. Personally, I think we could use a Sterling-type player.

Problem with Sterling was he was wasteful in possession and not the most reliable of finishers

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.