It's Quiet 17 - Glory Thread

Rival fans would be delighted if we did some of the things people are wanting in here. Mahrez has been our most direct and effective forward for two seasons more-or-less and apparently we should bin him off "on the cheap" to save wages, while Bernardo - who offers so much to our midfield that 99.9% of footballers would not know where to start with - should also be willingly swapped off even if he's happy to stay if we can get ourselves some good dough for it.

You have to shake things up, but not toss them out the window. Replacing Ferna and Jesus as they go, phasing out Gundo as he nears the end of his contract with a possible replacement, and possibly bringing in a young RB, all while adjusting the tactics to fit around Haaland, would be more than enough of a shift to keep things fresh. We don't have to throw all our toys in the bin because they're not fresh out-of-the-packet anymore and don't feel like shiny new starts.
Tbf it's the same every year on here and any other transfer forum with City I imagine, 6 out and 6 in etc. I don't recall the last time there were large changes at City (Summer 2017?) and I don't expect anything to start this summer either.

I’m not sure major surgery is required, which is what you are advocating here, imo.

2-3 players is the norm to refresh in a successful squad.

4-5 means almost half a side may not understand Pepball for a while.

It’s a unique situation though where 3 major players have 12 months left. If 1-2 sign extensions and the other 1-2 leave, then we have the 2-3 changes either Fernandinho going too.

Edit: Also the unmentionable left back goes too.
No major surgery isn’t required and isn’t good for continuity, evolution is always better.
Of the 3 front players going into their last year I think Jesus is gone and we have his replacement Alvarez, Sterling may go and may need replacing, Mahrez I think will stay and may extend. I think we bring in 1 midfielder to replace Fernandinho but the profile of who depends on the Bernardo situation. Plus a full back.
So inc mendy 3 or 4 out inc Alvarez 4 or 5 in. But with a full pre season and the quality coming in I think we can manage that without disruption.

We need a bigger squad than Pep's been using. Some players won't be happy playing even less next season.
Absolutely, but that makes it less likely that the 12 monthers extend.

We've also got McAtee to factor in more.

Haaland taking Foden’s false 9 spot means Foden moves out wide, creating less game time for others already.

With a World Cup in the middle of next season, it seems highly unlikely that we would choose this time to put the team through major surgery. It takes a season for players to adapt to our style of play, so adding four here and losing three/four/five there would be a tad foolhardy.

I've been saying for a while now that we should be looking to offload 4 or 5 in the summer. We've got a pot of cash and can afford to make some radical changes to build around Haaland.

I can't believe that some people on here seem think we can keep going with what we've plus Haaland.

The likes of Sterling, Jesus, and Mahrez can leave (probably on the cheap just to get them off the wage bill) along with Fernandinho and perhaps Bernardo (if big money/great swap is offered).

We've been great, but the squad can't stand still. A proper refresh is essential imo.
Agreed

With a World Cup in the middle of next season, it seems highly unlikely that we would choose this time to put the team through major surgery. It takes a season for players to adapt to our style of play, so adding four here and losing three/four/five there would be a tad foolhardy.
I think the World Cup actually presents some good opportunities for transfers that wouldn’t have otherwise

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.