It's Quiet 17 - Glory Thread

That isn’t how we’ve used full backs for years. Mendy apart who was our last ‘crossing’ full back ?
Tbh I wasn't bothered in past years but this season the quality of the chances and chances created have been lower than previous years. If not for Haaland...

Yaya. Javi Garcia. Rodwell. Fernando.
Wouldn’t really say Yaya was. Not sure about timelines but non of those others were better than Phillips, which is my main point.
If in a couple of years our midfield is Rodri Bellingham, Foden with players like Maddison,Grealish Phillips in support maybe even Perone though I know nothing about him. Will it be as good as Fernandinho KDB Silva? Possibly not but what would be.
The question is will it still be the best in the league, I think it would.

Fair.

Maddison is a perfect age IMO. 23-27 means your first contract with the player ties them down for their peak years.
Sign someone at 20 and they could be on a year or 2 left at 23/24 and leave before their peak. Players can continue to improve until they decline so Maddison could definitely still improve.

Maddison is technically superior to Bellingham IMO, less rounded though.
Dortmund are more seasoned in the Champions League which just shades it for me. Technically they are equally but Maddison is the player who plays more passes rather than drives with the ball

If we lose out on Bellingham after not signing Enzo when he was dirt cheap, then go for Maddison that is a massive downgrade in ambition.

This is hindsight. Enzo didn’t have an immediate role here and may never have wanted to come. And if he had he probably doesn’t play much and doesn’t make or play as much in WC squad and nobody here is talking about him as anything other than a project.

I have no idea why people find it so hard to grasp that getting into our XI as a very young player, especially as a CM, is an incredibly difficult thing to do and whatever phenom du jour pops up isn’t a lock to even play for us let alone make his mark. You can even argue Enzo hasn’t even made his mark yet in the Portuguese league. I’m sure we would have loved to have signed him but we aren’t going to be giving a lot of players first team opportunities coming straight out of low level football. Alvarez has only played sparingly for us in a much easier to risk position. Perrone will come and probably never see the pitch. It’s not rocket science that players will opt for situations where they are guaranteed playing time and Enzo is a great example as he will have made an enormous amount of money betting on himself here.

Wouldn’t really say Yaya was. Not sure about timelines but non of those others were better than Phillips, which is my main point.
If in a couple of years our midfield is Rodri Bellingham, Foden with players like Maddison,Grealish Phillips in support maybe even Perone though I know nothing about him. Will it be as good as Fernandinho KDB Silva? Possibly not but what would be.
The question is will it still be the best in the league, I think it would.

I wasn't trying to argue your point on Phillips, more giving examples for it. Yaya in his final years as cover was hardly better than Phillips, never mind the other 3. Maddison though is totally underwhelming, even as back-up. And it is probably the one only position that Pep doesn't treat as having 'back-ups'. I know it is fun to speculate about the summer on transfer deadline day, but I'm going with nonsense on that one. The brexit frenkie de jong, we were never even interested in the real thing never mind a far poorer alternative.

Last edited:
This is hindsight. Enzo didn’t have an immediate role here and may never have wanted to come. And if he had he probably doesn’t play much and doesn’t make or play as much in WC squad and nobody here is talking about him as anything other than a project.

I have no idea why people find it so hard to grasp that getting into our XI as a very young player, especially as a CM, is an incredibly difficult thing to do and whatever phenom du jour pops up isn’t a lock to even play for us let alone make his mark. You can even argue Enzo hasn’t even made his mark yet in the Portuguese league. I’m sure we would have loved to have signed him but we aren’t going to be giving a lot of players first team opportunities coming straight out of low level football. Alvarez has only played sparingly for us in a much easier to risk position. Perrone will come and probably never see the pitch. It’s not rocket science that players will opt for situations where they are guaranteed playing time and Enzo is a great example as he will have made an enormous amount of money betting on himself here.
My point is we are a world class club, we should be targeting established and flourishing talent. Players like Maddison, Phillips, Gomez and to some extent even Grealish aren't that. They are average to sub average in that case of Gomez.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.