It's Quiet 18 - Wanna ring the bell?

Jack Gaughan very good for City news and he’s spot on imo. Said earlier City will not be bolstering the squad numbers. Gvardiol is wanted regardless but the rest depends on outgoings.
Gvardiol can replace Cancelo who will definitely not be here next season, that's without the possible out going of Laporte.

I'd agree but im talking about those even more obscure and discreet signings. Like the Caiceido example I referenced. Veiga is more known and a bit "out there". There's already international recognition around the world for him.

I'm just saying our club loves to talk about the CFG, Scouting networks etc etc.. I'd like if we can back our Scouts and leverage all the data and expertise we have accumulated to snatch up lesser known gems before mid-table or even big clubs get wind of them. Essentially what difference was there between us and brighton that they were able to identify a big talent like caiceido and bring him in for a laughably cheap sum?
We do that already, a lot. However, we do it differently because we sign teenagers for the EDS. The problem is, contrary to Brighton, we can't really afford to buy a 4-5m player, "a Caicedo," and play him regularly because we are the best team in the world. Caicedo made it, but most don't. That's why we have our academies, and one thing we have learned from that is how high our standard is. We regularly win all the competitions in the youth setup, yet we have only Phil Foden and Rico Lewis playing regular 1st-team football with us. Our excellence is the biggest obstacle to the Brighton approach.

I do admit I worry sometimes with our transfer policy, please calm down and hear me out before lambasting me.

In general we do a great job however there have been a couple of occasions where I feel we have shit the bed a little when we don't get our targets.

When we went successful getting Kane we went the season playing with a false 9 again and ultimately we won the league BUT it needed a gundo masterclass on the last day of the season AND if we had signed Kane I recon we may have won the cl 1 season sooner. I know we have haaland now but im just giving an example that sometimes we don't have an alternative that can be available right away. Another example is Cucurella... Sergio gomez was the alternative, I don't think I need to explain this.

I know in general we have done bloody well with our transfers that aren't first choice but with Arsenal strengthening so well we will need to ensure Gundo replacement is going to hit the going running, it's such an important position and I don't think the person coming in can be afforded a season to settle in otherwise we may be left ruing our decision to pull out of the rice transfer.

Just my 2 penny's worth, I do hope that this time next year I am sat laughing at why I was so silly for worrying!
Hope we keep shitting the bed then as it's working.

I love Gundo, have done since he took the piss out of us in 2012/13 with Dortmund, but he wasn’t particularly prolific in his time with us aside from that 2021/21 season.

He was a massive(!) game player with a winning mentality, I think you’ll be pleasantly surprised by Kovacic and his ability to change games. And the difference we’ll see of Chelsea‘s Kovacic compared to one under Pep in a new, progressive role will be massive IMO - by default his numbers will rise IMO.
I rate Kovacic I really do, but he's never scored Goals even at Inter and Madrid. I Know Gundogans Goals have increased in the last 3 seasons, but even in his worse season at City he scored more league Goals than Kovacic has in his whole time at Chelsea.

Ederson, Ortega, Carson

Walker, Rico
Stones, Akanji
Dias, Ake
Gvardiol, Gomes

Rodri, Phillips
Kovacic, Perone
Kev, Phil

Grealish, Mactee
Mahrez, Bernardo, Bobb

Haaland, Alvarez

That’s the current Squad plus Gvardiol instead of Laporte, I know we are expecting a couple of loans and possible outgoings (possibly 5) it feels like a very mixed group.
Just looking at it there it’s so obvious we are light in central midfield. Phillips will never cut it imo. Unlike mahrez and grealish at their previous clubs he barely showed anything whilst at Leeds. Mad signing and I said as such at the time!

Then lets shut the entire forum. No discussion allowed.

In any case, briefing that we won't get incomings until we have outgoings - after being turned down after bidding £90m - is saving face. Also, saying its a risky strategy isn't a huge criticism of Txiki.
Don’t think that’s where Millsy is coming from. It’s always disappointing when the big targets don’t pan out. But, and it’s a significant but, Txiki and the lads rarely leave us high and dry following a transfer window. There is still a long time left.

Also remember, what we ‘brief’ and what we do may well be completely different things.

Who is to say that Kalvin won’t come back with a “I’ll fucking show you attitude” and be the ‘new’ signing for the season ahead?

I’m am a few pots deep in holiday but I will retain a high level of faith in th management team until further notice.

I really think Kovacic will surprise many. I’ve watched a few of the clips showing his touches against us, he is fucking mint.

When I played (at a very basic level) I always thought “I’d love to be the worst player in the team” that I played for as I worked my bollocks off and had decent ability. If Kalvin has that drive in him, and attitude this coming season then we will be pleasantly surprised.

Gaughan also suggesting Kovacic was Gundo replacement, that’s obv to most who saw Kovacic as a replacement signing for someone when we were linked, it was never a depth signing.

Seen many mention winger, don’t get that at all, as squad stands today, not needed, and it certainly wouldn’t be a natural winger anyway, based on the way City play wide men now.

Gvardiol aside, incomings depends on out.

City clearly wanted Rice, but wouldn’t pay silly £, which leads me to think someone else is v likely off (Bern?), and when they do, they’ll be replaced.
Mahrez ?

We do that already, a lot. However, we do it differently because we sign teenagers for the EDS. The problem is, contrary to Brighton, we can't really afford to buy a 4-5m player, "a Caicedo," and play him in the PL/CL because we are the best team in the world. Caicedo made it, but most don't. That's why we have our academies, and one thing we have learned from that is how high our standard is. We regularly win all the competitions in the youth setup, yet we have only Phil Foden and Rico Lewis playing regular 1st-team football with us. Our excellence is the biggest obstacle to the Brighton approach.
That makes sense.

Whilst I agree Kovacic is a very good player his injury record really concerns me. Let’s hope the city medical team can work their magic on him as he will be needed a lot next season

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.