It's Quiet 18 - Wanna ring the bell?

Nobody outside of PL will/can pay that much. City receiving a €50-60m offer for Laporte from a club like Juventus/Inter/Atletico/Sevilla is just completely unrealistic since neither can afford it or would be willing to spend that kind of money on a defender with no resale value.

The only real question is, would we rather:
a) Keep him, with him most likely getting less minutes than last years 12 PL appearances and possibly selling him for even less next year with him costing the club an additional €7m in salary.
b) Sell him for €50m to a PL rival, getting the most money possible but strengthening a competitor for the league and also having to see him in a rivals shirt.
c) Sell him to the highest non PL bidder this summer, which at this point looks like being Juventus with a €30m bid.

I can see arguments being made for all alternatives. I would rather just keep him, as long as he doesn't cause any problems in the locker room from being unhappy with minutes. But if City suspect he could do that, I would rather just sell him to Juventus than to Arsenal. Not strengthening our rivals is more important than 20m, in my opinion.
Totally agree - I think the money in the PL is distorting our view.

Here are the top transfers last year - of the top 20, 16 were paid by PL teams.

There are very, very few clubs that are going to be paying anything like the PL prices we see as normal at the moment, and even they are likely only paying them for world class players in their early 20s.

If our players want to go abroad, or we insist on selling them outside the PL, then the market is tiny, and nothing like as lucrative. It would not surprise me if Saudi started to look more appealing as the Summer wears on.

I'm very surprised there isn't a sizeable queue of clubs looking to sign Laporte..
Tend to agree , I’m amazed that Newcastle or maybe Spurs aren’t in for him , a lot of business though is done when the initial flurry is over , nobody these days wants to show there hands early. Always liked Laporte , never seems to whinge , celebrated our gongs like an ever present in the side , in tears wasnt he at Wembley , like he knew it was over for him ? I’d love to see him stay tbh.

Tend to agree , I’m amazed that Newcastle or maybe Spurs aren’t in for him , a lot of business though is done when the initial flurry is over , nobody these days wants to show there hands early. Always liked Laporte , never seems to whinge , celebrated our gongs like an ever present in the side , in tears wasnt he at Wembley , like he knew it was over for him ? I’d love to see him stay tbh.
Spurs were, he already told them to fuck off. Newcastle have Botman and dont need him

I think we're getting to a place where united were 10 years or so a go in that our academy is so highly regarded, we are able to get high fees on reputation alone.

Short memories on BM...
Kovacic and Laporte both born May 94. Internationals.
Clubs happy to let them go.
We signed Kova for €30m.

What's so difficult to suggest similar for Laporte?

Only PL clubs will pay that, or a bit more.
Or Saudi.

Juve? Have a laugh.
Bilbao? Didn't pay a quid on signings for 2 years.
Kovacic cost Chelsea less, they could not fit him in the squad or pay his wages, with new signings, CB`s generally are at their peak 26 to 32. Admittedly Juve would try and take him on a free ,before selling back to us for £98 million :) there are plenty of clubs that would take him on installments or swap +cash, but those deals are awkward and take time.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.