It's Quiet 18 - Wanna ring the bell?

I don't think there is much point in going for conventional fullbacks, we don't use them.

Even when we had them (Mendy and Cancelo), Pep converted them to be inverted fullbacks or simply played other players (Zinny over Mendy) who could play inverted.

The logic is somewhat sound, a winger is better than a fullback in the wide space, so why bother with wide fullbacks?

The type of LB we need is one who can attack & defend. They're a premium, but for me a priority that we can't miss out on again.
The only players I can think of that can do both at a high level is Nuno Mendes (PSG) and Alphonso Davies (Bayern).

These are basically impossible players to get.

The only others would be "potential" players, which is fine, but not many immediate starters.

I don't think it's as mandatory as you think it is, as I posted above, we haven't asked our fullbacks to play in a conventional manner in nearly all of Pep's reign, this includes the right side too.

The only players I can think of that can do both at a high level is Nuno Mendes (PSG) and Alphonso Davies (Bayern).

These are basically impossible players to get.

The only others would be "potential" players, which is fine, but not many immediate starters.

I don't think it's as mandatory as you think it is, as I posted above, we haven't asked our fullbacks to play in a conventional manner in nearly all of Pep's reign, this includes the right side too.
Granted, Pep has adapted how we play to accommodate our lack of a Striker & our lack of a Left Back, but he attempted to fix both in the summer, only failing with Cucurella.

Aké doesn't solve our Left Back issues, he merely provides cover & does a good job, but there's no way this should be a longterm solution to our lack of an orthodox LB.

Granted, Pep has adapted how we play to accommodate our lack of a Striker & our lack of a Left Back, but he attempted to fix both in the summer, only failing with Cucurella.

Aké doesn't solve our Left Back issues, he merely provides cover & does a good job, but there's no way this should be a longterm solution to our lack of an orthodox LB.
Cucurella played more games as a LCB in a back 3 than as a wingback at Brighton.

I'd bet if we actually got him, Pep would have just had him invert or stay back in a 3, doubt he'd use him wide.

Because as I already told you and you keep ignoring, there is already evidence that Pep doesn't use his fullbacks wide.

Even when he does its still unconventional, Right footed Cancelo as a wide left back, not to send crosses in but to play it like a winger.

We don't do conventional fullbacks, Ake has turned into the perfect player for the way we play.

Not sure how much clearer I can make it for you.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.