It's Quiet 18 - Wanna ring the bell?

So peps press confrence mentioning player profiles we dont currently have does that indicate a winger and left back maybe...

add in the 2 midfilders to cover the 2 that leave and a cb to cover laporte thats going (was telling the dig in the press confrence is about laporte)

anyway its going to be a really big summer.

The type of LB we need is one who can attack & defend. They're a premium, but for me a priority that we can't miss out on again.
I don’t buy any full back links tbh. Think we are more likely to go balls deep on a back 3 and play with zero fullbacks. Back 3 and double pivot. I don’t see fullbacks as a priority at all. Midfield (2 players minimum), left-sided CB (Laporte is history) and winger are all more important imo.

Aké's a better CB than LB. We've gotta stop relying on stop gaps & resolve our longstanding Left Back issue for once & for all mate...

possibly mate yeah but Nathan has been outstanding at LB and it does seem that Gvardiol is coming in and i would imagine as a starter so if Nathan wants to play then imo it wont be at CB?

Cucurella played more games as a LCB in a back 3 than as a wingback at Brighton.

I'd bet if we actually got him, Pep would have just had him invert or stay back in a 3, doubt he'd use him wide.

Because as I already told you and you keep ignoring, there is already evidence that Pep doesn't use his fullbacks wide.

Even when he does its still unconventional, Right footed Cancelo as a wide left back, not to send crosses in but to play it like a winger.

We don't do conventional fullbacks, Ake has turned into the perfect player for the way we play.

Not sure how much clearer I can make it for you.
It's your personal opinion which I respect, but respectfully disagree with. As stated, we've evolved our tactics to help deal with low blocks, packed defences & now we have teams playing deep & narrow to suffocate the space that Haaland operates in.

Cancelo was struggling to oust Walker & was causing grief on our bench. However, with Mendy's injury woes & Zinchenko being slow & defensively ropey, Cancelo filled in, got the game time he craved & became a revelation at left back.

City trying to fit square pegs in round holes was more out of necessity, than design, hence our tactics & formations were adjusted accordingly.

I recall a discussion during an unbeaten streak, where some fans were saying perhaps the false 9 had become the new No 9 in "Pep-ball" & that we didn't need an Aguero replacement. Again I disagreed. Us using the false 9 was out of necessity not design, so we evolved as a squad to cope. In any case, as soon as we lost, everyone started up about our lack of a No 9 costing us & I sense similar notions with our left back situation.

Now in your opinion we were interested in Cucurella to play at the left side of a back 3. I'm not saying he couldn't if tactics or squad issues dictated it's what was required, but it's my belief that Haaland was bought as a No 9, not a false 9, & Cucurella was being sought as a traditional left back, capable of inverting or playing left in a back 3 if necessary.

It seems you prefer CB's who can operate at full back, rather than full backs who can play as wingers which is what I prefer.

Your preference: Stones Dias Laporte Aké

My preference: Walker Stones Dias "Cucurella" (Chilwell, Davies etc)

As I said, it's just opinions mate. There's no right or wrong answers & ultimately it comes down to Guardiola & the board to do as they see fit. )(

In saying that he's up there for player of the year, all while predominantly playing LB.
Agreed, but again Aké at LB (which he's played for us several times previously) is only our first choice LB at the moment because we failed to get Cucurella, Gomez not being up to scratch & Cancelo leaving in such spectacular fashion.

He made his mark this season as a left sided CB & has continued his good form as a solid left back. He didn't commence the season as our main LB option. Aké's there out of necessity mate...

I don’t buy any full back links tbh. Think we are more likely to go balls deep on a back 3 and play with zero fullbacks. Back 3 and double pivot. I don’t see fullbacks as a priority at all. Midfield (2 players minimum), left-sided CB (Laporte is history) and winger are all more important imo.
We tried & failed to get Cucurella 7 months ago, & acquired Gomez as a cheap alternative. In my mind this does not mean Manchester City are done with full backs.

This is no different to us failing to get Kane. Because we failed, it didn't mean playing a false 9 became City's MO. We played a false 9 out of necessity & as soon as a No 9 alternative became available, we bought two in Haaland & Alvarez.

I see our left back situation being the same. As soon as the right player becomes available at the right price, I'm pretty sure we'll be involved in the conversation...

Agreed, but again Aké at LB (which he's played for us several times previously) is only our first choice LB at the moment because we failed to get Cucurella, Gomez not being up to scratch & Cancelo leaving in such spectacular fashion.

He made his mark this season as a left sided CB & has continued his good form as a solid left back. He didn't commence the season as our main LB option. Aké's there out of necessity mate...
Yeah 100% which is why I'm even prouder of him. Not his typical position but has adapted really well which is giving him regular game time he wouldn't have had playing CB. That obv benefited us too because we now know he can play well in two different positions.

I'm not sure if it's even worth spending a tonne of money on Gvard now as much as I rate him. They are too similar for me (pace, heading ability and intelligence at the back). Would prefer we invest big on a winger and the midfield.

possibly mate yeah but Nathan has been outstanding at LB and it does seem that Gvardiol is coming in and i would imagine as a starter so if Nathan wants to play then imo it wont be at CB?
Aké has been efficient, solid & dependable as a left back, but imo he's not our LB solution. I prefer him as a CB, or playing left in a back 3.

My preference is for defensively strong, flying full backs & I sense that's why we looked at the potential of Cucurella.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.