It's Quiet 18 - Wanna ring the bell?

Two things; It reminds me so much of the Rice saga. No way he would have been our top headline target. That was always Bellingham or Gvardiol. Rice is a fine player. But he's not that kind of natural fit. We just rolled up at the same stage in proceedings, made a presumably non-commital bet/offer, and watched it get difficult for Arsenal. Watched the narrative change into quite a negative one for them. Somehow we walked from missing 'both' midfield targets and no one said a thing. It was only when Gvardiol had stalled as long as it could, that people started to get properly itchy. Within days, we close that deal smartly and quickly - the fans are laughing again, the coverage is very positive.

Second; Who else has the money? Liverpool? Nah. Newcastle - mmmmmaybe. Not for me, he's the same player as Tonali. Saudi? They'd get the ok from the player and we'd hear about that.
Why wouldn't Liverpool? They were 3rd richest club in the world in the last Deloitte list, and have lost multiple players this window. Players like Fabinho, Henderson, Milner Firminho would have been some of their highest earners, and I Keita and Oxlade-Chamberlain came in on big money, so were likely on pretty high wages.

I'd assume they've freed up shedloads of money that could be used for a new signings, and they need them a lot more than we do at the moment.

Why wouldn't Liverpool? They were 3rd richest club in the world in the last Deloitte list, and have lost multiple players this window. Players like Fabinho, Henderson, Milner Firminho would have been some of their highest earners, and I Keita and Oxlade-Chamberlain came in on big money, so were likely on pretty high wages.

I'd assume they've freed up shedloads of money that could be used for a new signings, and they need them a lot more than we do at the moment.
I fear it will be liverpool and personally think that if they sought their midfield out they will be our biggest threat.

Always thought Gvardiol would get done but definitely makes the window feel better

Still think we're a winger/attacking mid short (Bernie/Foden versatility allows for either). Other than that the squad sees set. If Cancelo + Walker both go, another defender wouldn't go amiss but I wouldn't expect one

We could always strike if someone unexpectedly comes available - similar to Akanji last year

Maybe Palmer becomes part of the deal, plenty of rumours that Brighton want him and permanently not on loan.

The biggest stumbling block will be Brighton rumored not only want him permanently but also without buyback so it still hard for us to even agreeing with that kind of deal that Brighton ideally wanted.

We always play a kind of "defensive 5" and "attacking 5".

For the squad to have depth I think you need "atleast" 8 in both, plus 3 keepers is a squad size of atleast 19.
Even better would be to have 9 "just in case" (for a squad size of 21).

Defensive 5 Options
Stones
Akanji
Dias
Gvardiol
Ake
Rodri
Kovacic
(Phillips)

Assuming Walker, Cancelo and Laporte leave, we just have 8 players. Phillips will also be used as squad depth regardless if people dislike that. At the very least most would have to say its 7 serious options + 1 questionable one.

We "could" add another, and probably should.

Attacking 5 Options
Grealish
Haaland
Alvarez
KdB
Foden
Bernie
Lewis
(Palmer)
(McAtee)
(Bobb)
(Perrone)

Similar to the defense its like 7 + 4 this time. Some of these 4 kids might be serious options but we don't know yet really. But this is also too many kids we are unsure of (4), I'd say loan out 2 and keep 2.

I'd say like the defense, we could and probably should have another high profile signing for proper depth, and have more of a 8 + 2 situation.

Unless Pep just wants a boat load of kids as depth, then go for it.

Caicedo - Brighton reject Chelsea bid of 80m. Chelsea about to return with an improved offer.

Suddenly, "Someone" bids 80m. Fuck me, what a laugh.

99% chance it won't be accepted on face. The 1% is if Chelsea can't do the deal. If you know they are all in on the deal, they've moved money suggesting a 90+ bid, and the player is set, then it's much less than 1%. Second bidder could also limit the offer to 48 hours, or subject to withdrawl, to cover their arse.

It is all but a shot to nothing. In the <1% worst case scenario, the club get a player they could definitely use.

Best case scenario, it causes concern and complication for Chelsea. It forces them to spend the extra few mill.

You also likely get information about Chelsea and Brighton.

I'm almost positive it's City, just as with the Rice bid - because the one requirement is to actually have access to the money. Otherwise, it's a stupid game that could cost you your job and reputation.

Who else has that money? Saudi, I suppose.

I'm almost positive we are routinely fucking with rivals this year. The flip side of the move, apart from pressuring the buyer to pay top dollar, you are also saying to them..... ohh. We could buy him for that. I mean, we could easily justify that sort of midfielder. And we could fund the deal. But we aren't really bothered. You lot are tho. In fact, that's your entire summer, your budget, all plans, and you're going all in. On a player we don't rate that highly.

Classic poker psychology. Show you have the stack. You have the flexibility to move. Show you can read them and their opponent. And leave them with a touch of uncertainty over the value they are getting, just as they have to pay more and more for it. It undermines what should be their imminent and clear headline win, and denies them some of the psychological benefits.
Some illuminati nonsense

We always play a kind of "defensive 5" and "attacking 5".

For the squad to have depth I think you need "atleast" 8 in both, plus 3 keepers is a squad size of atleast 19.
Even better would be to have 9 "just in case" (for a squad size of 21).

Defensive 5 Options
Stones
Akanji
Dias
Gvardiol
Ake
Rodri
Kovacic
(Phillips)

Assuming Walker, Cancelo and Laporte leave, we just have 8 players. Phillips will also be used as squad depth regardless if people dislike that. At the very least most would have to say its 7 serious options + 1 questionable one.

We "could" add another, and probably should.

Attacking 5 Options
Grealish
Haaland
Alvarez
KdB
Foden
Bernie
Lewis
(Palmer)
(McAtee)
(Bobb)
(Perrone)

Similar to the defense its like 7 + 4 this time. Some of these 4 kids might be serious options but we don't know yet really. But this is also too many kids we are unsure of (4), I'd say loan out 2 and keep 2.

I'd say like the defense, we could and probably should have another high profile signing for proper depth, and have more of a 8 + 2 situation.

Unless Pep just wants a boat load of kids as depth, then go for it.
There is also Gomez, and he is not going anywhere by the looks of it. We are likely going to loan out Palmer and Perrone and keep McAtee+Bobb+Gomez.

There is also Gomez, and he is not going anywhere by the looks of it. We are likely going to loan out Palmer and Perrone and keep McAtee+Bobb+Gomez.
Whoops forgot about him. So that's 5 then.

I don't think we should have more than 2 (maybe 3) project players in the attack.

5 is way too much. 2 or 3 have to go on loan.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.