It's Quiet 18 - Wanna ring the bell?

Not every academy player is going to make it at their respective clubs, to suggest (which I think Delaney is) that something needs to be done about clubs selling academy players that are surplus to requirements is stupid. If he doesn’t mean that and he has an actual plan to complement the shite he’s talking then he needs to share just that.

We buy a lot of potential talent but with that we offer them world class training facilities and everything they need to become successful, even if that’s not with us. I think it’s fair game to sell players that have had a lot of time, effort and hours invested in them.

Just reeks of “City are doing it even though everyone else has for a long time, so now it’s a problem”.
I don't think that's the suggestion. It's that clubs (and obviously he means City and Chelsea) are not using their Academies with the primary aim of finding new squad players. They're creaming off many more of the top young players with little intention of playing them. They are mostly being recruited to be sold for a profit.

You're right - It does reek of being a problem "because City are doing it", but I don't think it's a case of "everyone else", as it's something that only a few wealthy clubs can do. I said in a follow up post, that it's not exactly ideal for football, that we, as a wealthy club, are selling to mid/lower table clubs players that often started their careers at mid/lower table Academies. The league would be more completive if that talent was spread around amongst the clubs who would play Academy players, and if a sale took place, the money would flow from the wealthier to the less wealthy clubs.

Have a look at the Academy/CFG list posted in a thread earlier - plenty of players there who came to City aged 13-16 from other PL/Championship clubs, or other mid-sized European clubs.

It's what we needed to do to compete with the 'istory clubs who fucked up the system in the first place, but the point is valid that it's not great for football in the long run.

Last edited:
I don't think that's the suggestion. It's that clubs (and obviously he means City and Chelsea) are not using their Academies with the primary aim of finding new squad players. They're creaming off many more of the top young players with little intention of playing them. They are mostly being recruited to be sold for a profit.

You're right - It does reek of being a problem "because City are doing it", but I don't think it's a case of "everyone else", as it's something that only a few wealthy clubs can do. I said in a follow up post, that it's not exactly ideal for football, that we, as a wealthy club, are selling to mid/lower table clubs players that often started their careers at mid/lower table Academies. The league would be more completive if that talent was spread around amongst the clubs who would play Academy players, and if a sale took place, the money would flow from the wealthier to the less wealthy clubs.

Have a look at the Academy/CFG list posted in a thread earlier - plenty of players there who came to City aged 13-16 from other PL/Championship clubs, or other mid-sized European clubs of a similar.

It's what we needed to do to compete with the 'istory clubs who fucked up the system in the first place, but the point is valid that it's not great for football in the long run.

I live in a fairytale where I like to think that clubs like City would much rather have the talent in the academies breaking their way into the first team, it benefits everyone yet it won’t happen. You have to be the best of the best at some clubs and time doesn’t wait for anyone.

Now I’m not naive enough to think that we don’t buy academy lads with the sole purpose of making a profit, it’s a business at the end of the day, I’d argue that the players coming here are getting a good deal too with the training on offer but I don’t know an awful lot about the CFA to argue that point.

Still, I don’t understand what relevance Delaneys point is in regard to us selling Palmer? (he says it bares no relevance but it clearly does as he’s brought it up the day we’ve agreed to sell him). This is a lad we’ve nurtured, we haven’t picked him up from Belgium to make a profit further down the line. I think everyone expected Palmer to make it here, for whatever reason that hasn’t happened, the only alternative is to sell. We should get the reward for that, it’s us that has looked after him for 13 years.

I do take your points on board in regards to us/whoever going into Europe etc and stealing their Academy players off them to make a profit.

I can only see the the alternative as being no academy player can leave their respective clubs up until say their 17th birthday or something similar, that will stop the 13-16 year olds getting handpicked (one of your points). I will try and find the list too!

Just to clarify, good old Delaney has said this comment has nothing to do with City selling Palmer.

It’s all just coincidence that he tweeted about clubs selling academy players on the same day City agreed to sell an academy player.

Fucking balloon.
Perhaps I'm missing the point but that article is from 2014? It's Rabin who posted the Tweet?

Loaning McAtee is the best option, especially since Nunes has come in. He won’t get much gametime here, Sheffield again would be good. Like Palmer, he’s another one who’ll likely be sold, that’s how this academy is run. For better or worse, very few are going to make it in the first team. The rest will be sold, there’s little room for emotion when you’re operating at the top level, much as we’d like to see more local lads make it with us.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.