It's Quiet 18 - Wanna ring the bell?

If Pep wanted them then we would go and get them. I think its pretty clear that he doesn't.

He sold all of the pace we had and went in a different direction on the wings. We have lads in the academy with pace to burn and they have barely got a look in on the bench.

This is incredibly Gordian logic.

Pep wanted Cucurella last season, but he didn’t get him, which by your logic means he didn’t want him in the first place.

Pep is always evolving, like a genuine number 9, genuine pace out wide is one of those things that every great team has as an option and can’t really be outmanoeuvred. We went without a number 9 for a few seasons, but then Pep came back to it.

As soon as everyone expects him to play the fullback-less formation permanently, he’ll go back to having a fullback or 2.

Having said all that what a great deal we did getting Haaland and Alvarez for less than we got for Sterling and Jesus.

Yeah my wife said to me.. are City crazy letting Sterling and Jesus go?

Now she can't believe it.. she doesn't miss either of them that much and is in a trance over us having Haaland!

Pep wanted Cucurella last season, but he didn’t get him, which by your logic means he didn’t want him in the first place.

Pep is always evolving, like a genuine number 9, genuine pace out wide is one of those things that every great team has as an option and can’t really be outmanoeuvred. We went without a number 9 for a few seasons, but then Pep came back to it.

As soon as everyone expects him to play the fullback-less formation permanently, he’ll go back to having a fullback or 2.
Pep wanted a left back with specific attributes that Cucurella had. We couldn't get a deal done and by all accounts didn't have a secondary option so we just took a chance on Gomez and hoped Ake would work out.

I am not saying its never going to happen but we sold our pace a few seasons back and went for more control and technical ability and that is where we still are now.

I would be very surprised if we go and buy a winger like Leao or Diaby etc.

If Gvardiol was to join that would give us 4 full backs capable of executing these inside fullback type hybrid role in midfield with Ake, Stones, Lewis and Gvardiol. All 4 capable of contributing in the final third but its not their game really. Gomez and Walker a bit more suited to the overlapping runs on either side.

Yup, I would say the setup with 4 nominal CBs is not some genius tactical innovation, but merely an optimal usage of the current squad. The team simply lacks fullbacks that are both good enough in possession and able to defend well

Personally doubt that Stones as a makeshift defender experiment will last beyond this season. Though it looks like an ideal solution for the current set of players, it doesn't mean such approach is the best one in general

I think there are good reasons why Pep used fullbacks as makeshift players in 4-1/3-2/2-3 defensive formations throughout his career. The most obvious one is the need to integrate energetic players who can press and attack well, covering huge areas. If, for example, Txiki signs a good attacking right back, pretty sure we'll see a switch to a usual lopsided 433 with RB either playing beside Rodri or acting as a winger

Zinchenko has been one of Arsenal's best players and they credit him with changing the entire dressing room spirit and making them title contenders.

Absolutely no one involved in Arsenal thinks he's a weak link just because of the equaliser last week.
Opinions, I know but Zinchenko was a terrible left back and a liability. He was able to function when he dropped into midfield, but only because of a tactical overload. He was poor when playing in a conventional midfield. He has not been missed one bit. We got £30M for a bang average player. He will always be targeted as he can’t defend. We will do it at our place.

Yup, I would say the setup with 4 nominal CBs is not some genius tactical innovation, but merely an optimal usage of the current squad. The team simply lacks fullbacks that are both good enough in possession and able to defend well

Personally doubt that Stones as a makeshift defender experiment will last beyond this season. Though it looks like an ideal solution for the current set of players, it doesn't mean such approach is the best one in general

I think there are good reasons why Pep used fullbacks as makeshift players in 4-1/3-2/2-3 defensive formations throughout his career. The most obvious one is the need to integrate energetic players who can press and attack well, covering huge areas. If, for example, Txiki signs a good attacking right back, pretty sure we'll see a switch to a usual lopsided 433 with RB either playing beside Rodri or acting as a winger
i would disagree , our achilles heel has always been the counter attack, pep has looked at getting that defensive solidness without losing the attacking side ,teams will very rarely outplay us, however we were forever getting caught on the break, without tempting fate we seem a lot more solid against the counter .

posting news without any credence, how is that reliable???
It's come from someone who seems to work for the Evening Standard, the aggregators don't make the news (or at least they shouldn't). Who his source is he doesn't say from what I saw and it's not exactly unusual.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.