It's Quiet 18 - Wanna ring the bell?

I think we've been very fortunate with injuries and hopefully that continues.

Ederson
Walker
Stones
Ake
Dias
Laporte
Akanji
Gundogan
Rodri
KDB
Bernardo
Alvarez
Foden
Grealish
Mahrez
Haaland

Currently have 16 first team players then comes a huge drop in quality Gomes, Palmer, Phillips & Perrone the only standout has been Rico Lewis.

Our squad size is a myth.

Squad size is kind of a misleading term.

90% of the time you only need 16/17 players and our strength in depth for that core squad is off the charts.

The 10% of the time we need more numbers, we have a big drop off, but Gomes, Palmer, Perrone and Phillips would be much higher up the pecking order anywhere else.

Fundamentally disagree on that. The players are club assets if they are under contract, and if a club chooses to refuse to deal with a particular other club, then they can do. Agree with @kaz7 - regardless of how the PL title race pans out this season, it was a mistake to sell 2 players to a potential rival club, who already had a manager who had an inside track to how we’ve created a culture of success.

Regardless they are the only club that willing to pay that kind of money, no team outside PL except Bayern, Madrid and PSG have that kind of money we want for. All three club i mentioned didn't need those two so only PL club remain. It's always be risk but hey as long we have the money to reinvest those money to buy better player i don't give a shit.

This trend sellling player to immediate rival team (except i will never see ourselves to sell player to rags under any circumstances) will be a normal in the future as PL become more and more Popular and get more money than all other european league combined in the future.

Last edited:
Squad size is kind of a misleading term.

90% of the time you only need 16/17 players and our strength in depth for that core squad is off the charts.

The 10% of the time we need more numbers, we have a big drop off, but Gomes, Palmer, Perrone and Phillips would be much higher up the pecking order anywhere else.
Also there is a lot of versatility in our squad, so a couple of injuries in any particular position can be accommodated, even Haaland though Alvarez is very different.

Also there is a lot of versatility in our squad, so a couple of injuries in any particular position can be accommodated, even Haaland though Alvarez is very different.

Yeah, I think the only thing we really miss is an attacking fullback and a proper pacey winger both of which would be useful in some games and give us more tactical flexibility.

Regardless they are the only club that willing to pay that kind of money, no team outside PL except Bayern, Madrid and PSG have that kind of money we want for. All three club i mentioned didn't need those two so only PL club remain. It's always be risk but hey as long we have the money to reinvest those money to buy better player i don't give a shit.

This trend sellling player to immediate rival team (except i will never see ourselves to sell player to rags under any circumstances) will be a normal in the future as PL become more and more Popular and get more money than all other european league combined in the future.
I see you’ve added another sentence. I’m not adverse to selling players to other premier league clubs under any circumstances, there might be occasions to do it.

My point was really about the specifics of selling two players (not one), to a team who already had our assistant manager as their manager. That’s what made it the wrong thing to do.

Re your first paragraph, presumably if they beat us to the title with those two players, you won’t “give a shit” either …

Umm we bought Laporte for 70 mil and Cancelo for 60 mil.

How is selling them at 30 mil each making a profit?
When a club signs a player, the cost of the transfer fee is spread the period of the contract signed by the player. Laporte and Cancelo have been here several years and signed contract extensions since also.

For example, We sign Laporte for £40 million on a five year contract on 1 January 2018. Sell Laporte for £26 million on 1 January 2020. At that date his accounting book value is £24 million (£40m – 2 years amortisation at £8m a year) so you can book a profit of £2m on the deal.

Laporte actually signed in 2018, so has been here 5 years already at an amortized cost of 13m a year. If we sell him for 30m, the books will show a 30m profit because hes fulfilled his original contract.

They are hardly having a massive impact. If you think they are ¯\_(ツ)_/¯ well, ok
Zinchenko was a weak link for us and proving to be for Arsenal.
Sterling’s form has fallen off a cliff but could we ever really rely on him in front of goal. Jesus is the biggest miss because of his work rate and ability to dribble and get round the back of the defence when playing wide.

Having said all that, what a great deal we did getting Haaland and Alvarez for less than we got for Sterling and Jesus.

Last edited:
When a club signs a player, the cost of the transfer fee is spread the period of the contract signed by the player. Laporte and Cancelo have been here several years and signed contract extensions since also.

For example, We sign Laporte for £40 million on a five year contract on 1 January 2018. Sell Laporte for £26 million on 1 January 2020. At that date his accounting book value is £24 million (£40m – 2 years amortisation at £8m a year) so you can book a profit of £2m on the deal.

The real numbers are

2018 £57m (transfer cost)
2019 £45.6m (signs a new deal)
2020 £38m
2021 £30.4m
2022 £22.8m
2023 £15.2m

So if we sell him for £30m we'd make a £14.8m accounting profit.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.