It's Quiet 18 - Wanna ring the bell?

We making room for our youth players to slot in! Pep wants to win the league with our youth team now

I remember Khaldoon saying they want to win the league with 5 or 6 academy players in the starting line up within 10 years. Or something. Or did I dream that?

Assuming I didn't dream it, they don't throw these things out for fun, but because they are real objectives.

Next year will be a tough season.

To go for it again takes a special breed of mentality. The physical and mental exhaustion of last season will cement the wish to move on for several players, who will understandably feel that they will never feel again what they have felt in 2022/23.

We know that some key players will leave, and we also know that some are coming to the end of their time as the best. We also know that teams are more tactically astute than they were and it requires consistent tactical innovation to stay one step ahead.

What we also know is that there will be a spine of players whose mentality is absolutely imperious - Gundogan, DeBruyne, Rodri, Dias, Nathan.

We know that Pep improves players - some of our younger and newer players will probably be better again than they were - Akanji, Grealish, Alvarez, Erling, Kalvin and Rico.

Some may have newer roles that have exciting opportunities - Phil, Stones.

We know that we have younger players returning that could be an unexpected bonus - Tommy Doyle, James McAtee.

We have some superb talents from the academy who may be phased into the squad - Oscar Bobb, Mebude, Borges. I think that Bobb, Ndala and Dada-Mascoll are the best we have, but the latter are only 16-17.

We expect to buy - Kovacic and Gvardiol seem to be on the cards, and would be strong additions (IMO).

I have mentioned 20 players (excl. Dada-Mascoll and Ndala), including 6 who are very young. Those I haven't mentioned are either strongly rumoured to be leaving, or expected to be loaned.

This is a big season, and I am thankful that it will be Pep in charge because it's going to be a tough one, IMO.
Who have I missed? Opportunities are clearly there in central midfield and in the wing positions.

Last edited:
I know it’s sad to be losing so many of our great players but it’s important in football to keep growing and know when to let go.

It’s what separates teams like ours, constantly evolving and sweeping up awards, and united, who are a joke because they cannot let go.

If those players all do leave, on the back of a treble, they’re now immortal and have given us everything there is to give, so they leave with nothing but thank for everything and a wish for good luck!

Over to the uppers to make sure we stay on top
100% this.

Knowing when to say goodbye is one of management's greatest skills.

Sentiment can play NO part at a top club.

What makes it so hard to win the league year after year is that any top club can now spend 100m on a player and hundreds of millions in a window. That's what makes our achievements this season unbelievable. We aren't the big spenders anymore no matter what the media and rival red fans say, I think we were 17th out of 20 for net spend last season, 8th overall in the last five years

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.