It's Quiet 18 - Wanna ring the bell?

Yet we still winning many titles without dedicated Left Back

Bert Trautmann won an FA Cup with a broken neck. That doesn't mean having a broken neck is preferable.

We've won titles in spite of not having a dedicated left back. We've also not won the one the players want.

Bert Trautmann won an FA Cup with a broken neck. That doesn't mean having a broken neck is preferable.

We've won titles in spite of not having a dedicated left back. We've also not won the one the players want.
Like the analogy. :-)

I think though regarding left back, many of us just have different expectations of what a left-back does to what Pep wants. I think many want ideally someone like Ashley Cole, overlapping down the left and racing back to make sliding tackles, with nobody getting past him.

But that just doesn't seem to be what Pep wants. He seems to have been happy picking between either a very defensive minded left back (left footed centre-back) or someone good on the ball to invert and help out with ball retention in centre mid.

Just not sure if it's because of theres nobody out there attainable and good enough, so he's making do, or if this is how he wants us to be.

I think though regarding left back, many of us just have different expectations of what a left-back does to what Pep wants. I think many want ideally someone like Ashley Cole, overlapping down the left and racing back to make sliding tackles, with nobody getting past him.

But that just doesn't seem to be what Pep wants. He seems to have been happy picking between either a very defensive minded left back (left footed centre-back) or someone good on the ball to invert and help out with ball retention in centre mid.

Just not sure if it's because of theres nobody out there attainable and good enough, so he's making do, or if this is how he wants us to be.

I just want someone who's not completely limited.

Cancelo couldn't overlap because he's right footed and couldn't defend. Zinchenko couldn't overlap because he's slow and he can't defend. Delph was worse on the ball but better defensively apart from the fact that he couldn't track a runner to save his life.

Nathan's a quality defender. I was banging the Ake drum back when people were saying he was a waste of money. But outside of getting on the end of set pieces he just has nothing going forward.

All these players have pretty glaring limitations in one way or another and those in turn limit our options on the pitch.

Signing Gvardiol to play him at left back would be a total waste of money.

I just want someone who's not completely limited.

Cancelo couldn't overlap because he's right footed and couldn't defend. Zinchenko couldn't overlap because he's slow and he can't defend. Delph was worse on the ball but better defensively apart from the fact that he couldn't track a runner to save his life.

Nathan's a quality defender. I was banging the Ake drum back when people were saying he was a waste of money. But outside of getting on the end of set pieces he just has nothing going forward.

All these players have pretty glaring limitations in one way or another and those in turn limit our options on the pitch.

Signing Gvardiol to play him at left back would be a total waste of money.

The difficulties we're having getting someone ideal is a bit odd. I think to some extent it's because left-footers often arent great with their right, so inverting puts them on their wrong foot more often than not. This leaves us with the overlappers, but they don't tend to retain possession as well. And we know how Pep values possession...

I'm not sure on this tbh, we signed Mendy then we've had pretty public pursuits of Chilwell, Cucurella, Ghoulam and Bertrand over the years that just haven't come off for whatever reason. Plus the world record fee on Mendy showing how much he values it.

I think he wants one, the club just aren't prepared to overpay and will happily fudge another player in that role and we couldn't shift Mendy/Zinchenko for years. Think it's just more poor planning than anything else.

When Ferna and Eric Garcia were playing CB it wasn't because Pep wouldn't have preffered a signing there, was just a silly risk we took that summer.

Talk in Marca of us signing 20 year old Gabri Veiga from Celta.

Looks like he's having a break through season in La Liga plays CM, scored 9 league goals and has got a £33m release clause.

Strikes me as a proper Txiki signing that, definitely the type of thing we need to be doing if we are paying big fees on Bellingham and ANother.

Would like to see Grimaldo or Guerriro on a free as well

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.