It's Quiet - a new dawn

Status
Not open for further replies.
Who said anything about getting rid of all 4? Stop building the straw man, lol.

Even one top drawer left back, with Zab and Sagna covering right would have seen a huge improvement.
I guess. But I think we tried but it simply didn't work. Tried to move Zab but couldn't. Tried to get Perez and that also fell through.

Its better to get the type of players You want in whatever position you want than it is to get someone you don't want at a need position.

And while our fullbacks were not great, our 2 biggest issues this season was Bravo not working out and our profligacy in front of the opponents goal.

Would better fullbacks have helped? Absolutely. But probably not as much as an in form goalie or a more clinical attacking crew.

And a side issue to the above real issues, is the continued problem of carrying too many injury prone players.

I guess. But I think we tried but it simply didn't work. Tried to move Zab but couldn't. Tried to get Perez and that also fell through.

Its better to get the type of players You want in whatever position you want than it is to get someone you don't want at a need position.

And while our fullbacks were not great, our 2 biggest issues this season was Bravo not working out and our profligacy in front of the opponents goal.

Would better fullbacks have helped? Absolutely. But probably not as much as an in form goalie or a more clinical attacking crew.

And a side issue to the above real issues, is the continued problem of carrying too many injury prone players.
All about opinions mate, but I'm still in the "having shit fullbacks has cost us this season" camp.

We'd have been able to pick up anything half decent for circa £10mil which would have been a huge improvement on Clichy, someone we'd have been confident could play second fiddle to a top drawer left back signed this summer.

Who said anything about getting rid of all 4? Stop building the straw man, lol.

Even one top drawer left back, with Zab and Sagna covering right would have seen a huge improvement.
Paid them off or sat them in the stands.

Not hugely, but I definitely do lay a bit of blame at Pep's door for it, and have said so numerous times in here.

It was a horrific decision to not strengthen the fullbacks last summer, and it wouldn't have cost a fortune to sort.

Forgive me for thinking your use of the words 'them' and 'fullbacks' made me believe you were referring to more than one.

Irrespective,and despite what many choose to believe,our management arent stupid.......so i still believe the club found themselves in a situation/had a valid reason that prevented replacing any.

Forgive me for thinking your use of the words 'them' and 'fullbacks' made me believe you were referring to more than one.

Irrespective,and despite what many choose to believe,our management arent stupid.......so i still believe the club found themselves in a situation/had a valid reason that prevented replacing any.
Of course I'd use the plural context, none of the 4 are/were good enough.

All about opinions, but I believe Pep dropped a bollock in thinking they would be good enough, he concentrated on forward players - we even had bids for central defenders!

All about opinions, but I believe Pep dropped a bollock in thinking they would be good enough, he concentrated on forward players - we even had bids for central defenders!
We did try bud but the players he wanted weren't available, pointless panic buying and then left with more players on contracts that we struggle to get rid of when a preferred player is available?

I agree it's been painful at times this season but our patience will be justified in the summer

We did try bud but the players he wanted weren't available, pointless panic buying and then left with more players on contracts that we struggle to get rid of when a preferred player is available?

I agree it's been painful at times this season but our patience will be justified in the summer
I know that mate, but for example we could have gone for people like Ben Davies or Van Aanholt or Bertrand last summer, none of whom would have cost any more than £15mil or so, all of whom would have made adequate back ups to whoever we went for this summer.

I don't think Pep did think they were good enough, more the fact was we had specific players in mind in other areas of the pitch that if we didn't sign they would be gone, probably for good, so we had to get them done. I can't remember a fullback we are linked with now being ready or strongly linked last summer, which shows the type of player we were after in those positions wasn't really available or affordable, so we prioritised.

I know that mate, but for example we could have gone for people like Ben Davies or Van Aanholt or Bertrand last summer, none of whom would have cost any more than £15mil or so, all of whom would have made adequate back ups to whoever we went for this summer.

none of the 3 are good enough for us, and where we want to go. The time of buying back-ups has to be over if we want to be a top club. We have to only buy genuine first team competition that has to fight for their spot and the loser gets dropped and sold, simple as now.

none of the 3 are good enough for us, and where we want to go. The time of buying back-ups has to be over if we want to be a top club. We have to only buy genuine first team competition that has to fight for their spot and the loser gets dropped and sold, simple as now.
Ffs..

I was using them as EXAMPLES, and one thing is for sure, they are all 10x the player that fucking Clichy is!

I don't think Pep did think they were good enough, more the fact was we had specific players in mind in other areas of the pitch that if we didn't sign they would be gone, probably for good, so we had to get them done. I can't remember a fullback we are linked with now being ready or strongly linked last summer, which shows the type of player we were after in those positions wasn't really available or affordable, so we prioritised.
Well we prioritised incorrectly.

I wish people would stop with the Pep can do no wrong shite - our fullbacks are probably the worst set in the whole of the Prem and it's an utter disgrace that we haven't strengthened that position over the last few years, bar taking Sagan on a free.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.