It's Quiet - a new dawn

Status
Not open for further replies.
With the players out of contract, and the likes of Hart, Mangala, Nasri and Bony all going, it's going to free up over £1.5m a week on the wage bill. We're going to be able to spend a fortune this summer.

Think its hard for us to sell lots of players, would think its more likely that those out of contract will leave and some players will get a stay of execution
Out:
Willy
Sagna
Zabba
Clichy
Toure
Navas
Delph
Kompany
Fernando
Nolito
Hart
Bony
Nasri
Mangala
Denayer
Probably get about 70-80 million there
That'd be about £200m if they played for Chelsea.

With the players out of contract, and the likes of Hart, Mangala, Nasri and Bony all going, it's going to free up over £1.5m a week on the wage bill. We're going to be able to spend a fortune this summer.
The club get a lot of criticism for letting the squad grow old, especially Txiki, but with so many reaching the end of their contracts, it's almost as if there was a plan to give Pep this season to weigh up his squad and the league and have a blank sheet to rebuild this summer. Cant remember a coach ever having a chance to rebuild from keeper to pivot in one window and making sure that hopefully all the peices fit. Usually a new coach has to work around established players on long contracts. Was it a long term plan ? Who knows, but I think we'll benefit from it long term.

I feel with Pep having more say we'll buy better players. That being said if we rebuilding the defence we need them in early. I'm sure Bravo would have been better for a full pre-season.

I feel with Pep having more say we'll buy better players. That being said if we rebuilding the defence we need them in early. I'm sure Bravo would have been better for a full pre-season.

Absolutely. Last window....i feel like Stones, Sane, Jesus and Gundogan will be huge players for years to come. All Pep signings.

Bravo was a mistake. And Nolito was a somewhat cheap stop gap signing. So overall Pep bought very well. Much more optimistic about our signing this summer under Pep. If he gets 5-7 new players this summer. All Pep approved. We should have a CL winning team in place.

Last edited:
Absolutely. This window....i feel like Stones, Sane, Jesus and Gundogan will be huge players for years to come. All Pep signings.

Bravo was a mistake. And Nolito was a somewhat cheap stop gap signing. So overall Pep bought very well. Much more optimistic about our signing this summer under Pep. If he gets 5-7 new players this summer. All Pep approved. We should have a CL winning team in place.

I don't think he was. He was a perfectly good shot stopper this time last year, one of the best in the world in fact, both in club competition and international games. Lots of people in England- thanks in no small part to our media, who really don't know any better than we do- are under the impression that Bravo has always been this way; great passer but a poor shot-stopper, and that just didn't matter because he played for Barcelona and Pep should've known better than to bring him in. But truthfully the Claudio Bravo of the lats five years was probably better than every keeper currently in the league bar De Gea. His confidence was hit by a shaky start to life in a new country, perhaps influenced by the worry over his newborn daughter, and his shot-stopping ability went to absolute shit. There's no way Pep could've seen that coming, surely?
Recently, though, Caballero has been quietly getting on with it amidst all this and is completely ignored by the media, which I suspect is just the way he likes it. His story is a very admirable one of redemption in the face of ridiculous amounts of hardship, both professional and personal, and I still believe that Bravo could undergo the same transformation if he gets a move on.

Long story short: I still think dropping Hart was the right call and that Bravo must shoulder most of the blame for our goalkeeping problems.

I don't think he was. He was a perfectly good shot stopper this time last year, one of the best in the world in fact, both in club competition and international games. Lots of people in England- thanks in no small part to our media, who really don't know any better than we do- are under the impression that Bravo has always been this way; great passer but a poor shot-stopper, and that just didn't matter because he played for Barcelona and Pep should've known better than to bring him in. But truthfully the Claudio Bravo of the lats five years was probably better than every keeper currently in the league bar De Gea. His confidence was hit by a shaky start to life in a new country, perhaps influenced by the worry over his newborn daughter, and his shot-stopping ability went to absolute shit. There's no way Pep could've seen that coming, surely?
Recently, though, Caballero has been quietly getting on with it amidst all this and is completely ignored by the media, which I suspect is just the way he likes it. His story is a very admirable one of redemption in the face of ridiculous amounts of hardship, both professional and personal, and I still believe that Bravo could undergo the same transformation if he gets a move on.

Long story short: I still think dropping Hart was the right call and that Bravo must shoulder most of the blame for our goalkeeping problems.
I'd go as far as to say most of our defensive problems. The league would have been very different if only he'd been competent.

The club get a lot of criticism for letting the squad grow old, especially Txiki, but with so many reaching the end of their contracts, it's almost as if there was a plan to give Pep this season to weigh up his squad and the league and have a blank sheet to rebuild this summer. Cant remember a coach ever having a chance to rebuild from keeper to pivot in one window and making sure that hopefully all the peices fit. Usually a new coach has to work around established players on long contracts. Was it a long term plan ? Who knows, but I think we'll benefit from it long term.
One thing though, and believe me it will piss me off I see it being trotted out, is that we HAVE to compete for everything next year and as such none of this "having to let the new guys settle in" or "it's a transition year with all the player turnover" - unless he signs a new deal (hopefully) then it's year 2 of the 3 year deal.

One thing though, and believe me it will piss me off I see it being trotted out, is that we HAVE to compete for everything next year and as such none of this "having to let the new guys settle in" or "it's a transition year with all the player turnover" - unless he signs a new deal (hopefully) then it's year 2 of the 3 year deal.
yeah, going into next season the target has to be PL title and CL double, it's where we need to be as a club now making those kind of statements and forcing those trying to screw us into submission, because we're too good to be pulled down.

It will be 3 years without a title and whilst in our history it's nothing, for the club trying to cement itself at the top of the global stage and create a defining era for this management and ownership, then it's very important to drop this re-emergence of the habit of not winning the big trophies on a regular basis.

Pep's had a year to suss, now for a manager of his ilk, standing and ambition he needs to deliver.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.