It's Quiet - a new dawn

Status
Not open for further replies.
Just for argument's sake:

You've watched our side, correct? You know Pep likes his CBs to come forward and play balls out of the back to forward runners (or players dropping to just outside the opposition's box to receive said passes)? And I am aware one of the faults people indicate he has is positional awareness but that can be improved in training (and we have the best for that), where as he other attributes cannot be: strength, agility, pace, height, good in the tackle. Playing at LCB is different to playing CB (I did reference the latter only in the event there is an injury crisis, as you said) and requires much more involvement in build-up, especially in Pep's system. Also, people were saying the same things about Navas. ;-)

You're taking away his strongest attribute, keeping the width on the flank and his final ball from which is among the best in the world, whether it is first time crosses. He drills them in low like Kolarov does too, but he can actually beat his fullback with dribbles, strength and pace.

He's 22.

You never know how quickly a player will grasp the positional game that Pep will spend hours upon hours drilling into them. I certainly wouldn't rule out the idea he could be coached to become a LCB because Pep will look for the ability to drop into a back 3 on the spin from his fullbacks. As Alaba said last year, no one believed, least of all Alaba, that he could play CB, but Pep taught him how and that added flexibility allowed Bayern to switch from 3 at the back to 4 at the back whenever they wanted.

Whoever we sign at fullback i'm sure Pep will be looking to see if they can move around the back line.

You just love to argue for the arguments sake don't you? I actually can't believe you think putting Mendy at CB would bring the best out of his abilities, saying "Yeah Pep can teach his positional game" that's great and all but at the end of the day it isn't really relevant to the discussion.

So if I've got the gist of this thread, we're effectively buying a new first XI, bar maybe Silva and Aguero?

You're taking away his strongest attribute, keeping the width on the flank and his final ball from which is among the best in the world, whether it is first time crosses. He drills them in low like Kolarov does too, but he can actually beat his fullback with dribbles, strength and pace.
Nothing says he can't play both positions. And Kolarov, at CB, is known to (and instructed to) ping long crosses to our wingers, so Mendy could still utilise that ability from LCB.

Pep is notorious for demanding versatility from his players and has shown his propensity for converting players to new positions that no one thought they could assume (and by and large they do a job there, if not thrive). As @domalino said, Alaba was surprised as anyone about how Pep converted him to central defence, and he did very well there, whilst still playing fullback/wingback when needed.

I am not saying it will happen but I do think Sane can do a great job at LWB/LB and Mendy would be great coverage for LCB/CB, if Pep decides to go with that system.

You just love to argue for the arguments sake don't you? I actually can't believe you think putting Mendy at CB would bring the best out of his abilities, saying "Yeah Pep can teach his positional game" that's great and all but at the end of the day it isn't really relevant to the discussion.

I didn't say it would bring the best of his abilities, I said you can't rule anything out, and that Pep will be looking for players who can help us transition from 3 to 4 on the bounce.

If you think someone taking the time to reply to your comments with their opinion (citing historic examples that might add something to the discussion) instead of just accepting them as fact is "arguing" perhaps a forum is not the place for you.

It we get the rumoured signings our squad will be fan-fucking-tastic. To look at it with Sanchez, Sane, Sterling, Jesus, Aguero and maybe B Silva fighting for 3 spots could be looked at two ways. One, some players are going to be unhappy at not starting or; two, we have a healthy competiton for places and if you dont do the business someone is waiting with baited breath to have ago. I'd think number two is how Pep is looing at it.
Instead of Navas and Nacho coming off the bench we will have a plethora of attacking options. Pep will need to earn his bread to keep the competitiveness healthy but I would hope the playres have quality of character to see this as a challenge.

Mendy is the one I just want to see get over the line.

Having fullbacks of that quality with everything else we have will revolutionize football.

C'mon Txixi.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.