It's quiet... summer 2018.

Status
Not open for further replies.
You might be right, but if you think back to the games where we had bits where we were 'lucky', in most of them we were also unlucky at other times.

Most of the last min games, we should have won earlier.
That’s very true. Any number of woodwork hits, sitters missed, red cards not given and so on last season.
We were clearly the better team in all but a handful of PL games last term and a repetition of that form will bring us a points haul of 90+.
If Rags, Liverpool or anyone else can top that then good luck to them they deserve to win the title.

That’s very true. Any number of woodwork hits, sitters missed, red cards not given and so on last season.
We were clearly the better team in all but a handful of PL games last term and a repetition of that form will bring us a points haul of 90+.
If Rags, Liverpool or anyone else can top that then good luck to them they deserve to win the title.

It will be intriguing to see what Jorginho & Mahrez, if signed, will do in the tight games.

It will be intriguing to see what Jorginho & Mahrez, if signed, will do in the tight games.
That’s the joy of having Pep in charge isn’t it?
In summers of 2012 and 2014 we were hoping that we could emulate the previous season’s performances but not really confident of improvement. This year we have a Manager who will have been driven mad by his teams’ weaknesses and will be actively looking to remove them.
Mahrez (or somebody similar) is the key IMO. We all saw the struggles we had in games vs Burnley, Palace, Newcastle, West Ham, Huddersfield x 2 who all played similarly and pointed the way for other teams to set up against us next season.
Jorginho is, to me, more of a straight “more of the same” choice with Yaya gone and Ferny ageing.

This is what really intrigues me.

We all start again on a level playing field as far as points go. The 19pt gap last year means absolutely nothing when we kick off next season vs Arsenal. Other teams will be stronger.

I have no doubt that Mahrez will (if he signs) add something else. He is class and is more of a goal threat in certain situations than sterling or Sane at present (despite sterlings goal haul last year)...He adds to the squad meaning we can give both of the above a rest at times when needed without a drop off in quality.

Jorginho is the key one that has to be right. If he doesn't adapt/fit/ we are going to have to rely on Ferna for a lot of games again ( this that was our biggest slice of luck not losing him for games last season). Im not 100% convinced by him from what I've seen, He has huge qualities that will be useful (his range of passing for instance). Its his ability to beat the high tempo pressing of the teams that will do that is what will seal it for me...if he is to make a difference then its in those games that it will show. It wont just be liverpool that adapt that tactic next season....i think a few others will try. Most saw what sitting back did against us, we inevitably found a way through in the vast majority of games (probably al of them). I think more will try it at least.

The other top prem teams will improve (Liverpool and utd have already added what i think are players that will improve them) - Arsenal remain a have to wait and see with a new manager. Chelsea will be strong despite what seems like a slow summer. Spurs last season weren't as goof as they should have been last season....they seem to be stuck a bit at present but they are still a good team

This is what really intrigues me.

We all start again on a level playing field as far as points go. The 19pt gap last year means absolutely nothing when we kick off next season vs Arsenal. Other teams will be stronger.

I have no doubt that Mahrez will (if he signs) add something else. He is class and is more of a goal threat in certain situations than sterling or Sane at present (despite sterlings goal haul last year)...He adds to the squad meaning we can give both of the above a rest at times when needed without a drop off in quality.

Jorginho is the key one that has to be right. If he doesn't adapt/fit/ we are going to have to rely on Ferna for a lot of games again ( this that was our biggest slice of luck not losing him for games last season). Im not 100% convinced by him from what I've seen, He has huge qualities that will be useful (his range of passing for instance). Its his ability to beat the high tempo pressing of the teams that will do that is what will seal it for me...if he is to make a difference then its in those games that it will show. It wont just be liverpool that adapt that tactic next season....i think a few others will try. Most saw what sitting back did against us, we inevitably found a way through in the vast majority of games (probably al of them). I think more will try it at least.

The other top prem teams will improve (Liverpool and utd have already added what i think are players that will improve them) - Arsenal remain a have to wait and see with a new manager. Chelsea will be strong despite what seems like a slow summer. Spurs last season weren't as goof as they should have been last season....they seem to be stuck a bit at present but they are still a good team
Teams cant just turn on high pressing when the play us though it takes a lot of hard work and drills to know when to go as a team and when not. If a team that doesnt normally play a pressing game trys it they could leave themselves wide open and will run out of steam. Even teams other than Liverpool that did try it last season Napoli and Spurs failed. I still expect parked buses more often than not.

Teams cant just turn on high pressing when the play us though it takes a lot of hard work and drills to know when to go as a team and when not. If a team that doesnt normally play a pressing game trys it they could leave themselves wide open and will run out of steam. Even teams other than Liverpool that did try it last season Napoli and Spurs failed. I still expect parked buses more often than not.

More often than not - yes

But others will try it Im sure....

What a silly statement how can you judge a team before a ball is kicked.take injuries and signings into effect and literally anything could happen.

I dunno. You could do it exactly the way the bookies do it and make educated guesses. You could do it like I did last year when I said we’d walk the league and win by 12 points. I think I’m doing alright in the World Cup pool by doing the same thing. I was just trying to have a little fun after a few drinks pal. Not at all silly. Of course there’s a thing called fluidity and you can alter your opinions with any new factors coming in.

With so many players involved in the WC and the ever present chance of injury I was wondering if we are holding off buying now just in case. This thought came to mind while watching France. Hypothetically what if Mendy breaks down. We would need a new LB. If we have already spent our budget.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.