It's Quiet thread 14 - 'do one' edition

Status
Not open for further replies.
Still don’t understand, if Messi is not a Barca player now, why are they so keen (reportedly!) to do a deal through Bartomeu?!
My take is that La Liga and Barca maintain Messi is a Barcelona player so if possible it's better to get an agreed transfer as it reduces the chance of subsequent litigaton.

If we are 100% convinced that Messi can be regarded as a free-agent then negotiating with Barcelona is an act only of good faith and we can dictate terms.

Who better striker can jesus get as a mentor than aguero. Well messi is but aguero and messi are not that vocal leaders. they only lead through actions but not like kompany/terry does.
We need a clinical striker. Well jesus might be/ can be one but the thing is if we can get messi he can be let go. Not necessarily as i dont want him to go but for messi that much we have to sacrifice. But its not a certainty that they will want jesus. Barca might ask for bernardo instead of jesus. Whatever happens we trust our board.
Jesus will never be the same type of striker as Augero, Jesus is a tricky fast feet type of striker whereas kun is a power striker, hard to knock of the ball but he isnt going to show the defender the ball drag it back and then push it threw the defenders legs, thats Jesus with confidence high. Kun would be all power in that situation. Jesus has to learn his trade from a tricky striker who has those close ball skills and the ability to hold the ball in a tight situation .

I know but Messi could play his position til he's 40. He walks around or stands still through a game and he has 10-15 bursts when he's off before anybody clocks him.
I respect your opinion but I completely disagree, it's generally the bursts of energy which go first in my opinion. Toure, perfect example, he used to be able to do 4-5 bursts a game, slowly that declined to 1-2, then to one every half a dozen games at the end, but his actual running stats (e.g. distance) wasn't that bad even when his lack of energy was killing us in terms of ball recovery.

Technical ability alone Toure and Silva would still walk into our team, there becomes a point when that's simply not enough.

I think that's spot on.

Messi has informed Barca that he's activated a clause in his contract and is no longer a Barca player. As Barca are disputing his interpretation of the clause, we need those two parties to reach an understanding before we can take formal steps towards signing him.

If Messi's Dad is unable to convince them to honour the clause in the contract then no doubt they will escalate it, I'm guessing to FIFA? So it looks like City will either sign Messi on a free, when it is confirmed we are able to do so, or we will have to pay Barca if that is deemed necessary. We aren't going to volunteer to pay them now, but I'm sure we will have all angles covered and are prepared to move quickly once we have clarity on the status of his employment.

That's my take on it anyway, but I KFA so it might play out completely differently.

IF, there is a meeting with Messi's Dad, there has to be a reason for it. There is absolutely no point in him travelling to Argentina, just for both parties to tell each other to fuck off & things stay the same. Then what ? He flies home again ?

So he's either going to agree to stay, which seems ridiculous & pointless, or the two sides agree in what happens next, be it a transfer deal, FIFA, court, whatever.

When that is decided, unless he stays there, we start to become entangled in the procedure or we bail out, which again seems unlikely.

Tancredi Palmeri

Here Barcelona signing since 2015: Arda Turan, Aleix Vidal, Umtiti, Digne, Cillesen, André Gomes, Marlon, Semedo, Coutinho, Dembelé, Paulinho, Yerri Mina, Vidal, Lenglet, Malcom, Arthur, Murillo, Wagué, Todibo, Boateng, Neto, Griezmann, Junior Firpo, Braithwaite, De Jong, Pjanic

That’s why Messi is fed up and wants to leave. He feels that in last 5 years Barcelona have signed players not to enrich the team, but to enrich someone... And he feels that someone filled their pockets with money counting on fact that Messi’s blanket anyway would cover all

Plenty of good or supposedly good players in there but some not so much and lot just never did what they should have

If we get messi one of the attackers will be surplus to our requirement. Aguero/jesus/sterling/torres/Mahrez/bernardo/foden... with CMF of Debruyne/Gundo, Rodri/Ferna we already have 11 players for 6 position. Yes 12 is needed for that some academy guy can come. So we can afford one of our strikers to leave and if required buy a tall lanky striker in cheap. As some plays need a tall striker. That may not be needed if messi is here but just for options. Not necessary but if jesus is willing to go we can afford that.
We can't afford for any of our forwards leaving and that's including if Messi does sign.

Jesus will never be the same type of striker as Augero, Jesus is a tricky fast feet type of striker whereas kun is a power striker, hard to knock of the ball but he isnt going to show the defender the ball drag it back and then push it threw the defenders legs, thats Jesus with confidence high. Kun would be all power in that situation. Jesus has to learn his trade from a tricky striker who has those close ball skills and the ability to hold the ball in a tight situation .
Kun, Messi and Jesus all have a low centre of gravity. They are all dribblers. Messi, especially the Messi of 19-30 was completely unplayable when in full flight with the ball at his feet. The goals videos are just incredible to watch.

Having thought about this a lot over the last week or do these are my conclusions.
Messi wants out and wants City as it suits his style of play and he knows he will win trophies.
He understands the financial limitations and therefore has invoked his contractual right to leave on a free. It means we will be in a position to afford his salary without him taking a massive pay cut from his current earnings. Not turning up to training and getting fined is worthwhile collateral damage.
The last thing Barca wasn’t is to lose him for free hence their aggressive stance. It’s to be expected and those of us who think we would be better are hypocrites. They are trying to rescue something out of a badly drawn up contract hence them sacking their legal team in the process.
Our stance has been quite magnificent. Deafening silence to date and letting Messi and Barca sort out their shit before coming to the table in all likelihood in a placatory role.
A deal will be done in order for Barca to save some face and for Messi to leave with some dignity. It will not involve key players for us. If Barca were to play hard ball with us we could just let Messi run down the last year of his contract and get him on a free whilst he causes discontent at Barca. This is the very last thing they will want hence they will deal on our terms.
Whichever way, we and Messi hold the upper hand.
Loving it all.

How would Blues feel about a trade off?

As we know football is political. Tebas Is raging and will do all he can to stop Messi leaving La Liga. Even moreso if it's for us.

What if City offered Real Madrid Sterling to placate him. Not many English players can say they've played for 3 so called elite teams and I think he'd fancy the challenge and it would suit his game.

Would you accept this?

Personally I wouldn't.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.