It's Quiet thread 14 - 'do one' edition

Status
Not open for further replies.
I agree with project, it feels like we’d just be asking for trouble if we tried to find creative ways to pay him.

I want Messi as much as the next person but don’t want another couple of years of the same shit again.

Christ, are we really going to do this nonsense again. We will not beat UEFA next time. FFP gives UEFA plenty of power to sanction the club. It will not make the same mistakes next time. We are playing with fire.
Can’t see them wanting to ban Messi from the Champions League.

wow bits of negative reports cropping up all - even the MUEN are at it!

You would think that. Manchester based paper would be behind the potential move but seeminlgy not to the extend that every day there are articles stating why we shoudlnt go for him, te negative impact he would have on the team, how much he would cost (repeatedly mentioned in EVERY report) and now dredging up old quotes from Pep to fit their narrative..

Pond scum!

View attachment 1688
Mundo is the worst source out there,taking a very old quote and printing like it is new

Can we move off from the “how will we pay him” posts, it’s fucking dull having to read guesses and responses.

We won’t sign him unless we are rock solid sure we can pay him correctly within ffp limits. Simple.
Except the point is it is pretty much impossible to rock solid sure unless a) he's taking a 50% paycut and we aren't paying a fee or b) we are "creating" c.€200m of player sale profits. The point on Castles podcast that I responded to suggested using shares could never be "rock solid" because it has never been tried before.

So your simple analysis is probably wishful thinking. And that is why some of us are interested. In fact, given there is no debate as to whether he's actually going to improve us or be fun to watch, how we can actually afford him whilst protecting the next 10 years of success is some people's key interest in the days before we sign him. It is mine and it should be the board's...I'm sure it is.

Bottom line: if City can't afford Messi in a way that give little to no risk on FFP in 202x (without these various tricks, sleight of hand etc) we shouldn't be going near it. The idea that UEFA, Tebas/La Liga, the rest will sit back and not look for anyway to prosecute a breach is fanciful.
The regulations for FFP are in place to monitor the profitability and to ensure clubs are sustainable. In other words FFP focuses on the profit and loss account of clubs.
Shares affect the balance sheet and have nothing to do with the P&L.

UEFA or anybody when monitoring FFP cannot turn around to us and say let's look at everything else. If they started looking at balance sheets then Barca, United etc would be completely fucked.

The selling of shares to employees is quite a normal business transaction. The only difference is in football once again is that our owners are ahead of the curve.

I agree with project, it feels like we’d just be asking for trouble if we tried to find creative ways to pay him.

I want Messi as much as the next person but don’t want another couple of years of the same shit again.

If it's against the rules that's true yes.

But if it's creative but perfectly legal re ffp then it's not a problem.

The regulations for FFP are in place to monitor the profitability and to ensure clubs are sustainable. In other words FFP focuses on the profit and loss account of clubs.
Shares affect the balance sheet and have nothing to do with the P&L.

UEFA or anybody when monitoring FFP cannot turn around to us and say let's look at everything else. If they started looking at balance sheets then Barca, United etc would be completely fucked.

The selling of shares to employees is quite a normal business transaction. The only difference is in football once again is that our owners are ahead of the curve.

This is nonsense. If City are talking about making a payment in shares connected with his employment a) it is a P&L item and b) FFP has anti avoidance measures that will adjust the P&L for such transactions.

The last para is also nonsense.

If it's against the rules that's true yes.

But if it's creative but perfectly legal re ffp then it's not a problem.
There is no such thing as "perfectly legal" under ffp. We have seen ffp gives great scope to UEFA to allow, adjust, disallow, revalue etc. They won't fall through the traps next time.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.