It's Quiet thread 14 - 'do one' edition

Status
Not open for further replies.
Not Stones, a rabbit in headlights when in midfield.

Different memory from me then, I don’t think he looked great I will agree but given time to settle into the role (which he never had) and he would be good - not world class but good.

I know we are looking for world class these days but he would be decent cover or rotation cover there.

I don’t envy anyone playing central defence in a team like ours. One momentary lapse of concentration, one stray pass and no one cares that you’ve had an otherwise excellent performance. You’re a liability, you’re a clown, your transfer fee gets trotted out, you’re no Van Dijk...

It’s an almost impossibly high standard, especially when you consider the chances we miss at the other end. You’ll see the first time Koulibaly or whoever makes their first mistake and gets pilloried for it

Of course a german with no interest in seeing an english team succeed internationally would say this. All english pundits are saying the same about Stones: he’s a weakness in this team, he’s not focused and make silly mistakes. Everyone talks about his potential but it’s not reasonable to wait 5-7 years for a guy to wake up.

People have different opinions about Stones but fact of the matter is: the club (and one can assume Pep) wanted him gone and go with Garcia and Koulibaly(?) instead. That didn’t work out so now they’re stuck with Stones and just might give him a final chance. But if Garcia stays and Koulibaly comes in, we’d have four quality cbs and then Stones. He’d be lucky to play any cup games.

Honestly just being 4th choice for Stones is bad enough when Koulibaly comes in.
Garcia is clearly Barca bound either this year or next, (Pep has said so).
Stones is homegrown, there might well be a requirement for an increased homegrown quota from the fa as we leave Europe? It would be foolish to sell him on the cheap, he has talent and hopefully will come good.

That’s the key, fitting our system, very, very few centre backs could play in our system and Pep won’t compromise on the high line, we have a very limted choice of personnel to chose from, i think Koulibaly is the prefered option because he has the pace and physicality and has played the system regularly under Sarri but he’s far from perfect but the best option out there.
I very much think this is the real problem with our defence.
We have decent players that would look comfortable in other team’s systems. What we need for our system is someone with the experience of the most seasoned A lister CBs coupled with the speed and energy of the very best youngsters.
Why? Because we play an extremely high line while in possession and we have not retained the ball as well recently and don’t press as much consistently when we lose it.

Makes us very susceptible to a quick ball over the top.

Maybe the CB we are looking for isn’t out there.
Maybe the academy should be grooming the specific type of player we need. Shape a youngster that we see the potential in. I do get the impression more and more that, that isn’t the main purpose of our academy.

Of course a german with no interest in seeing an english team succeed internationally would say this. All english pundits are saying the same about Stones: he’s a weakness in this team, he’s not focused and make silly mistakes. Everyone talks about his potential but it’s not reasonable to wait 5-7 years for a guy to wake up.

People have different opinions about Stones but fact of the matter is: the club (and one can assume Pep) wanted him gone and go with Garcia and Koulibaly(?) instead. That didn’t work out so now they’re stuck with Stones and just might give him a final chance. But if Garcia stays and Koulibaly comes in, we’d have four quality cbs and then Stones. He’d be lucky to play any cup games.

Honestly just being 4th choice for Stones is bad enough when Koulibaly comes in.
People have different opinions whether Stones can be the player he should be, doubt many think Garcia is better though.

Different memory from me then, I don’t think he looked great I will agree but given time to settle into the role (which he never had) and he would be good - not world class but good.

I know we are looking for world class these days but he would be decent cover or rotation cover there.
Good player with the ball in front of him, with his back to goal a nightmare.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.