It's Quiet thread 14 - 'do one' edition

Status
Not open for further replies.
The problem is xG is measured quantitatively, despite clearly being portrayed as a qualitative statistic. You might as well shit in your hands, clap and see how many shit particles hit your face.

It's all due to our style of play, playing against packed defences makes it considerably more difficult to score. Think of a free kick, put 3 men in the wall and then put 8 men in the wall and tell me which is easier to score, only xG can't account for that variable because it's purely subjective. What measurement do you use for that?

That's mostly true but a very few companies can account for that exact example. Smartodds does this (Brentford Owner)though you would never find out the algorithm.

Sam Lee did mention that interest in Joao Felix has been registered again. Atletico could do with bit of cash it seems.

Sam Lee did mention that interest in Joao Felix has been registered again. Atletico could do with bit of cash it seems.

Can't see us getting him and Ferran Torres. How many attacking wingers does Pep want?! Next season's formation will be an innovative 3-7-0, a new chapter in tactical history.

That's mostly true but a very few companies can account for that exact example. Smartodds does this (Brentford Owner)though you would never find out the algorithm.
There's no accurate algorithm possible, it's impossible because there's too many variables to ever be able to calculate it.

You can measure some variables (e.g. distance to goal, angle) but how can you accurately measure (e.g. defenders positions blocking a percentage of the goal, the speed angle and spin on a cross or pass to the striker, a defender pulling your shirt to unbalance you, you falling over like Sterling with the header off the floor, how quickly you have to shoot before a defender closes you down)?

You simply can't put an algorithm on that stuff, it's impossible, so xG is bollocks. To try and use it to justify our strikers being shit and not clinical enough is comical. It's like trying to measure someone's cock by where they buy their weekly shopping.

I get that it’s not perfect but if your theory is correct then the best teams would on average suffer with low xg rates as they are mostly in control of games playing more defensive teams. If you don’t think the xg rate has any validity then all we have left is opinion.

I would suggest that our penalty conversion rate indicates we lack clinical players. I also think that most of us would recognise that quite a few of our players are far from good finishers, whatever their overall qualities are.
Not all the best teams play football in the same way, hence why we're second scoring 100+ goals again and Livarpool have won the league scoring 20 or whatever it is less, so it's impossible to correlate the two.

Come on now, behave yourself. Penalties account for 1% of shots in total, if that, unless it's that scum down the road in which case it's probably 70%. Hardly statistically significant.

Put any flair player in a defence minded team and they would struggle but on the other hand put him in a team like ours and boom the magic happens!
Athletico are very defensive under simeone, & i haven’t watched them that much this season but every time i have felix has been a disaster!! Thought at the time we’d had a lucky escape due to the crazy price tag? hope in time im not proved wrong?!!

Felix was a big flop for 120 Million !

Not sure if gambling on his is worth it.
Not a big flop, playing for the wrong type of manager.

This guy is a future mega star, wonderful player and very much a City and Pep Guardiola player.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.