It's Quiet thread 14 - 'do one' edition

Status
Not open for further replies.
I completely agree. And forget looking at the players we've missed out on, just think of the players we wouldn't have signed if we had this policy earlier on. Does anyone think Sergio, David Silva, or Yaya Toure would've been Manchester City players if we hadn't paid top dollar for them? Not everyone is only going to want City. Sometimes you just need to pay the money.
Spending huge sums of money was never the policy, we were forced into building the team far quicker than we originally anticipated by FFP. We had no choice but to spend to get us into the Champions League before the doors were closed essentially.

If someone doesn't want to be here, we don't want them. We need the commitment because without it players won't make it here, the competition within the squad is too strong and it undermines the players who are already here. Players earn the money they get, as we see with Dr Bruyne, Laporte, Sterling etc. getting offered a new contract 12-24 months after signing a contract.

You don't need to compete with players head to head. If they have their heart set on a move elsewhere, there is no point trying to persuade them to us. It's a bit like begging a girl to go for a coffee with you when she doesn't fancy you, then getting desperate and keep asking. Likewise if they have their heart set on a move to us, you would expect their agents to tell other clubs not to bother.

Yes thats all nice and fine. But were talking about transfer fees and wages. Some players you just need to offer the biggest and the best. Like right now if PSG said Mbappe is for sale wed be daft not to put our best wage and transfer fee in. Whether he wants Madrid or not. 1) Itll increase the price for Madrid 2) He might swing our way.

You don't need to compete with players head to head. If they have their heart set on a move elsewhere, there is no point trying to persuade them to us. It's a bit like begging a girl to go for a coffee with you when she doesn't fancy you, then getting desperate and keep asking. Likewise if they have their heart set on a move to us, you would expect their agents to tell other clubs not to bother.
But then there’s players like de Jong. Who wanted to join us before going to Barcelona and for whatever reason we decided not to go balls deep for. Big miss IMO, don’t get me wrong it’s not a glaring position we desperately need a player in but I just think the lad is exceptional.
In Barca’s squad I think there aren’t many players that are unsellable and he’s one.

Reactions: cjn
But then there’s players like de Jong. Who wanted to join us before going to Barcelona and for whatever reason we decided not to go balls deep for. Big miss IMO, don’t get me wrong it’s not a glaring position we desperately need a player in but I just think the lad is exceptional.
In Barca’s squad I think there aren’t many players that are unsellable and he’s one.

we even had the fee agreed and personal terms agreed with frenkie as well according to Simon Mullock but then put it on hold for some reason?! strange

I completely agree. And forget looking at the players we've missed out on, just think of the players we wouldn't have signed if we had this policy earlier on. Does anyone think Sergio, David Silva, or Yaya Toure would've been Manchester City players if we hadn't paid top dollar for them? Not everyone is only going to want City. Sometimes you just need to pay the money.
Our strategy has clearly changed since then. As you say, we had to do that to attract players. The new strategy is to persuade the players to come here, but not break the bank for them. Personally, I'm quite glad - I'd rather City's appeal were football, not just $$$, plus it's surely more sustainable.

Fwiw, I don't think City are opposed to paying a big fee in principle, but it has to represent good value for money for what we get.

Yes thats all nice and fine. But were talking about transfer fees and wages. Some players you just need to offer the biggest and the best. Like right now if PSG said Mbappe is for sale wed be daft not to put our best wage and transfer fee in. Whether he wants Madrid or not. 1) Itll increase the price for Madrid 2) He might swing our way.
You need to forget getting ANY player from PSG. Not going to happen...

maybe i am in the minority here but i would take Grealish over Aouar .
and i personally believe anyone that would want Martinez over Kane is being silly . An unproven(to a degree) 22 year old for 100m + or a Englishman in his prime who bangs them in nearly as regularly as Kun for probably around 120m.

Grelish is vastly overrated

I can see the other side of the Kane vs Martinez debate...he is a proven goalscorer but something tells me that he is more of a central striker and not mobile enough with a poor injury record as well. The defences he plays against for Spurs dont set up the same way as they set up against us and his lack of mobility is an issue. His ability in tight very spaces as well I would question.....he would add an aerial threat however as well as shooting from distance and he is a quality finisher.

Grelish is vastly overrated

I can see the other side of the Kane vs Martinez debate...he is a proven goalscorer but something tells me that he is more of a central striker and not mobile enough with a poor injury record as well. The defences he plays against for Spurs dont set up the same way as they set up against us and his lack of mobility is an issue. His ability in tight very spaces as well I would question.....he would add an aerial threat however as well as shooting from distance and he is a quality finisher.
Agreed , just don't get Grealish, a player we may have looked at pre takeover, but now nowhere near our level.

The Utd way is to offer her mum more & more money until she persuades the girl to go for a coffee with you, then offer the girl life changing amounts of money to shag you, then be surprised when she's got the money, that she's not much of a shag & constantly wishes she was shagging someone else.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.