It's Quiet thread 14 - 'do one' edition

Status
Not open for further replies.
Yep, we can kiss goodbye to the overwhelmingly positive coverage we have recieved since the takeover.

Honestly I expect the coverage to improve after an initial "how are they paying for this?"Its a lot like when Peps side started clicking, suddenly 90% of the criticism came with "although they do play wonderful football..." people who aren't explicitly anti-city loved seeing Peps City play and it did seep into coverage.

Messi is that x100. All these guys are massive Messi fans and their love of him and getting to see him play every week will win some hearts and minds in the press box.

Also maybe City need to be smart about this, PR wise? If we've got sponsors lined up to cover a lot of the money by renegotiating deals, make sure the important writers get briefed that (especially non-Abu Dhabi sponsors like Nissan, Nexen and Puma), and it's in the public domain. Leak that the club expects a new non-etihad shirt sponsor will be boosted by Messi signing.

You have to establish a narrative sometimes, or the press will just fill a vacuum with whatever they can dream up.

I don't doubt City's appeal to any major footballer these days, so if Messi does leave Barca I think we have a very good chance of getting him.

Unfortunately I feel that Messi is probably one of the very few players that is bigger than a club (even Barca). I just can't see a scenario where they let him go. It would do so much damage to their reputation that they will do everything in their power to try to stop it.

The anger from their fans isn't towards Messi, it's towards the board for being a complete shambles. If there are changes to the board which placates Messi I'm sure he'll sign a new contract and they'll try to smooth this over.

If we sign him then I see no downside. To have the best player in the world at our club for even a few seasons would be amazing! Pep and our board will know how genuine this is and we're not going to comment on anything publicly either way till it's done, so there's no damage to City whatever the outcome! Let's see what happens and hope for the best!

Very much looking forward to The Athletic’s “Why Jürgen Klopp can turn Lionel Messi in to a super star at Liverpool” think piece dropping later today.

Honestly I expect the coverage to improve after an initial "how are they paying for this?"Its a lot like when Peps side started clicking, suddenly 90% of the criticism came with "although they do play wonderful football..." people who aren't explicitly anti-city loved seeing Peps City play and it did seep into coverage.

Messi is that x100. All these guys are massive Messi fans and their love of him and getting to see him play every week will win some hearts and minds in the press box.

Also maybe City need to be smart about this, PR wise? If we've got sponsors lined up to cover a lot of the money by renegotiating deals, make sure the important writers get briefed that (especially non-Abu Dhabi sponsors like Nissan, Nexen and Puma), and it's in the public domain. Leak that the club expects a new non-etihad shirt sponsor will be boosted by Messi signing.

You have to establish a narrative sometimes, or the press will just fill a vacuum with whatever they can dream up.
Fucking hell Lionel driving a Micra?

Tbh I expect the opposite. Suddenly we'll be clickbait and the media will favour City.

Mate I'm sorry but come on, I don't think the comparison with Rodney Marsh holds up?! I've never heard him mentioned in conversations about the greatest player who ever lived. Checking out his career stats he never delivered in the top flight for anyone even before signing for City. Messi by contrast ...

As for spite and bile, we're used to it.

It's my WWHWWWS mentality coming in.

Even after all the success I find it difficult to change.

We're a different beast now. One that's at the top table fighting for dominance.

He would be a great signing for us.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.