It's Quiet thread 14 - 'do one' edition

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have a feeling Barto won't give a flying fuck about the video, he only cares if Messi stays this season. He is out in March? so Messi leaving would technically not be during his reign.
Man is facing criminal charges, starts smear campaigns against players/staff all he cares about is that history books won't say Messi left during his tenure.
And with Messi attacking the board in his video, gives the members a opportunity to launch a vote of no confidence in the board.
If successful and Bartomeu is voted off,he is liable for the debts accrued in his time in charge, currently €225m

For me, the statement today was a good sign - it was of a man resigned to staying at the club rather than one who was happy to do so. As if to say, ok Barca aren’t playing ball so I’m staying to play with them (knowing full well I can talk to other clubs in 4 months time). Now the pressure is on Barca, keep an unhappy Messi on astronomical wages and lose him for free in a few months or climb down now and accept the €80 plus Garcia or whatever it might be. I don’t feel this is the end and I think we expected it to play out this way.

Long time reader first time poster. I’ve been sceptical about Messi joining all the way through but after today’s statement I actually think it could happen. He has put tremendous pressure on Barca’s hierarchy and I think a bid from City might just be successful. Still a month to go.

I have a feeling Barto won't give a flying fuck about the video, he only cares if Messi stays this season. He is out in March? so Messi leaving would technically not be during his reign.
Man is facing criminal charges, starts smear campaigns against players/staff all he cares about is that history books won't say Messi left during his tenure.

This.

I think a lot of us are treating him like an owner/chairman with something to gain/lose but Barca doesn’t work like that. He clearly doesn’t give a fuck. He knows he’s out on his arse in around 6 months time no matter what, he’s universally hated by all with the slightest affinity to Barca including the greatest ever player. he’s going to go down in history as the man that oversaw quite possibly the greatest club side there’s ever beens sharp and swift demise into a laughing stock being routinely rinsed in Europe to the point where they’re suffering their worst defeats ever, and all whilst still having the best player in the world in the side, it doesn’t get much more damning than that for him. He’s seemingly decided Messi isn’t leaving under his watch, it’s difficult to find an angle where there’s any potential leverage to change his mind.

Perhaps if he is indeed personally financially liable if he doesn’t complete his term and Messi can gain the power to force him out early and put that threat to him but that kind of power play is likely going to have significant collateral damage and he doesn’t want to harm his Barcelona.

as much as I would have liked him to play for us I firmly believe he is a one club man, given what he feels for Barca I'd actually wonder how well he would play for another club

one thing that hasn't been mentioned is regarding him losing a court case, it all seems to be down to him not wanting to take Barca to court at all and this is where he has proven that he just doesn't have the willpower to actually leave them. If he really did and things were as bad as he claims then he could end this two ways with court or the webster rule but he just hasn't got it in him to push it through

hopefully from our side now we back away from this, if we pay the money being talked about we are just mugs, if we wait for him to sign in January then we are even bigger mugs as he will find a way to not go through with it again, he is better just waiting for a new president and then signing a new contract with Barca

I hope someday we will stop trying to be nice and please people that will never accept our club and what we do, we still need to toughen up and become more ruthless in how we operate

its always been between Messi and Ronaldo as the best player of this generation, I'd have always gone with Messi but the simple fact is that he doesn't back himself to make it anywhere other than Barca, he will always find a way to stay there.

my other annoyance with this is employees of City so concerned about Barca, I don't care about their history with that club, they work for and are well paid by us and should be thinking more about us than hurting barca's feelings

my other annoyance with this is employees of City so concerned about Barca, I don't care about their history with that club, they work for and are well paid by us and should be thinking more about us than hurting barca's feelings

If it was right for us I don't think any of them would give a toss about Barca's feelings.

The letter from his dad was to show the clause was real and that he wasn’t staying because he had lied.

This was followed up with the interview where he explained what had happened.

I don’t know of another situation where a club would lie like this to keep a player against his will.

Messi correctly stated that he could go but was threatened with legal action against both himself and any club he moved to. Barca know that they would lose but also know it would be a long drawn out battle that Messi can not afford at his age. So they acted like spoilt 5 year olds.

So what choice did Lionel have left under these circumstances? Go in a year for free and make it as uncomfortable as he could for the Barca board. Having said what he did Messi could constantly criticise the board at every future opportunity damaging Barca more and more. Their reputation and that of the club in tatters. If Barca wants to play dirty then so can Messi.

The tactic is to make it so uncomfortable for the board that they sell him rather than be ruined. It has to be worse than the criticism they would get for losing him. Messi is doing a great job...it’s a brilliant start to what will be an on-going shit storm.

Of course City knew what he was going to say.

Either they let him go or it will get worse and worse for Barca. Already some of the board think it was the wrong decision. Who would want to go there now when the best player has announced its a shambles of a club? Bartomeu is now under enormous pressure from his own board and the police.

There is no good ending for Barca. They can minimise the damage with a u turn. Either Bartomeu will realise it or be removed by someone who does.

Anyone thinking Bartomeu has in some way been clever is deluded. He is ruined after that interview with Messi. His reputation is in tatters and each passing day gets worse.

The tactic might not work but it is the only one left and if he thinks this has all gone away now he’s even more stupid than his past actions indicate.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.