It's Quiet thread 14 - 'do one' edition

Status
Not open for further replies.
Bart will deal with anyone but us over Messi. If Messi was to go to City then not only has the worlds best player moved so has european footballs power base, Bart would deal with China, MLS anyone that doesnt have City attached to it .

We might not have to deal with Baromeu. He is accused of corruption and I doubt his board are all behind him.

Only chance of a deal with us in January is if he's already signed a pre contract with us.

Then Barca might take what they can get rather than lose him for nothing at the end of the season.

Why will Barça come for Garcia? I keep reading this... He is young, he has time on his side and he’s free at the end of this coming season. He’s said himself this week he’ll play this year then leave for free. Barça have zero need to chase us for him at all.
Yes they need to rebuild but Koeman won’t be there next year and that’s when they’ll do the rebuild, Garcia will join then and we’ll see another player having gotten too close to the end of his contract and allowed to leave free or cheaply.
If we start bidding for Messi now they’ll rebuff anything we offer, they’ve said they’ll not entertain it. Messi lost his bargaining chip yesterday as did we. They just say he can go for free next year knowing full well that any interest will be diminished in 12 months due to his age. Right now the numbers make sense, his age although higher is workable but at 34 it suddenly seems less appealing and Barça know it. They’ve played a blinder here in reality and made it almost not worth pursuing Messi.
We had a chance, the player had a chance and the bluff was called. You win some, you lose some and in this instance Messi didn’t have the hand to compete with and lost out. I genuinely think part of his look of sadness yesterday was partly due to him seeing the dream of a huge incentive and project crash and burn. He knows it, we know it but more importantly so do Barça.
As I said earlier I’d love to be proven wrong but Barça hold the cards here not anybody else. I keep seeing they need to sell but they don’t, he earns €52m a year and they’ll make more than that back after this drama and him staying. They have also paid his loyalty bonus over his contract too so no lump sum to be offered at the end. Yes the presidents a **** but fuck me he has some balls, he played the game, stuck to his guns and pulled off an unlikely win.

We might not have to deal with Baromeu. He is accused of corruption and I doubt his board are all behind him.
Well as it stands right now thats who we have to deal with, unless the board can force a vote of no confidence in the next few days/weeks to oust him. As for corruption this is Spain this is how business gets done !

Well we have no proof of that and if the theory was correct I can't see why his Dad would publish the clause and criticise the board publically and in writing.

And how did that tactic pan out? Ah yes, he’s still a Barça player who won’t go anywhere unless a club pays some overinflated price for a 33 year old in the last year of his contract. Barça don’t care if he’s unhappy or wants a move, they have him on a tight leash as proven yesterday.

I think it's clear the decisive factor was barcelona's hostility to a deal.

They may yet accept an offer because it's highly likely they'll lose Messi soon and he's losing his value to the side. He was unable to carry FCB in 2019/20. The strategy of relying on an ageing Messi to act as a heart beat for a side doesn't work and completely killed them in big games.

Maybe we should throw a bid at them with Garcia included and see if sticks. Big enough to make them take note but not ridiculously high. 75 mill plus Garcia. Take it or leave it and get nothing next year.

Maybe we should throw a bid at them with Garcia included and see if sticks. Big enough to make them take note but not ridiculously high. 75 mill plus Garcia. Take it or leave it and get nothing next year.

Id be happy with that as long as it is publicly known it’s a one time offer and we don’t spend several weeks pissing about to then have to walk away again.

It was the strangest I'm staying speech ever. I'm a bit suspicious of a player who wants to move based on negatives. He's basically settled in Barcelona but unhappy with

He could have gone down a free transfer which may well have forced Barca into inviting offers. However there was a high risk they would sue him.

What is an unknown is whether City were willing to offer Messi terms when La Liga and Barca looked like they might take legal action. If we weren't prepared to risk that, Messi had no options.

Think Tolmie implied that he was suppose to walk after Jorge’s response to La Liga? If true that would imply we were willing to go down the legal route.

It was the strangest I'm staying speech ever. I'm a bit suspicious of a player who wants to move based on negatives. He's basically settled in Barcelona but unhappy with

He could have gone down a free transfer which may well have forced Barca into inviting offers. However there was a high risk they would sue him.

What is an unknown is whether City were willing to offer Messi terms when La Liga and Barca looked like they might take legal action. If we weren't prepared to risk that, Messi had no options.

This is true. I don't think City were prepared to take the risk. Partly because it is a huge risk but mainly because they are still hoping to get him out on a free or a small fee this window. I think signing him in January on a pre contract for nothing is also preferable to them.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.