It's Quiet thread 14 - 'do one' edition

Status
Not open for further replies.
We don't just need a starting CB, we also need a Silva replacement. If we don't get the latter, and we make the same mistake as we did not replacing Kompany, we'll end up with Gundo in the 8 because, outside of Zinchenko, who is just not at the level, Gundo is the only player with 'controller'-like abilities. We all know Gundo is a shit no.8 but Bernardo is a ball carrier and Foden atm is more of a difference maker.

We play Wolves in just over a week and yet we've only brought in 2 bench players (on paper at least)
Last thing we want to be doing after last season is chasing LFC right from the off. We have to start like a rocket. Pissing about not talking to Napoli because ADL hurt our fee fees is ridiculous and the lack of even rumour for a CM is concerning.

We don't just need a starting CB, we also need a Silva replacement. If we don't get the latter, and we make the same mistake as we did not replacing Kompany, we'll end up with Gundo in the 8 because, outside of Zinchenko, who is just not at the level, Gundo is the only player with 'controller'-like abilities. We all know Gundo is a shit no.8 but Bernardo is a ball carrier and Foden atm is more of a difference maker.

We play Wolves in just over a week and yet we've only brought in 2 bench players (on paper at least)
Last thing we want to be doing after last season is chasing LFC right from the off. We have to start like a rocket. Pissing about not talking to Napoli because ADL hurt our fee fees is ridiculous and the lack of even rumour for a CM is concerning.
The only thing Bernardo is doing recently is carry water bottles.

He needs to force himself back into our team, we have a lot more energy, drive and passion when he is on form and in the side.

We've signed one player of note in the last two summers (Mahrez 2018, Rodri 2019), both of which aren't shoe-ins for our strongest xi. This year, we've been boosted by retaining our Champions League status and by the fact that clubs need money because of the pandemic, yet here we are 10 days out from the season starting and looking at Otamendi and Stones starting our first game back. It's a shambles whichever way you look at it.

Why would Stones and Otamendi start over Ake ? And why do you think that business done in the last 10 days of the window is different from business done in the first 10 days of the window? They all go in the same squad in the end.

I agree on Mahrez and Rodri by the way. Neither seem like shoe-ins for their respective positions - but that's the nature of the transfer market. You win some and lose some.

I'm not sure I'd personally be characterising anything City do as shambolic. We've got incredibly capable people running our transfer department, which is why we've built the squad we have and won the titles we have in the last decade.

Problem is with the market, at the top end we havnt seen the post COVID pricing settle fully yet so clubs don’t really know how much players are worth, so Napoli for instance are sticking to what the price would have been last year.

Other clubs will be in dire financial straights and sell cheep - but for us that doesn’t really help as the players we are after are not in those teams generally.

I’m not adverse to saving the money this year, moving forward with what we have and letting the market soften as the financial side hits clubs (most will be hit a lot harder than us).

Then we might pick up the type of player we need as more are available as clubs look to raise funds.

I'm a cynical person so cut me some slack before calling me negative, I know I am!

Anyone think the club is reluctant to invest in players for pep when we don't know if pep will be here beyond next season?
No the entire model, with a DOF, is we buy the same players for whoever is manager. As far as I see there is no reluctance to invest, only a reluctance to rush to overpay

Status
Not open for further replies.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.