It's Quiet Thread 15 - Txiki Blinders

Status
Not open for further replies.
I think I agree with Trevor Sinclair on this.

Liverpool, most expensive Goalkeeper
United most expensive player, defender and past history of breaking transfer records regularly.
Chelsea ditto.

We have never done this so the idea we are going to buy two players each for more than Pogba's fee seems fanciful.

What if we bring in 120m will make our net spend around 120m

Is every part of greater Manchester considered mancunian? (I’m not from England)
I’d say there are three tiers:

- City of Mcr (one of ten boroughs in Greater Mcr) = undisputed true Mancunian.
- Lots of people from the suburbs consider themselves Mancunian. Examples: Stretford, Sale, Urmston, Audenshaw. Purists might dispute it.
- Lots from traditionally more autonomous areas identify more with their “own” towns, e.g. Wigan, Bolton, Rochdale.

So a mixture of geography, history and psyche and there are plenty of exceptions to the above.

Say what you want but I can't help but feel a bit depressed every time someone talks about our academy as a shop window.

Fair enough, that's business but that's not exactly what I started following the club for. Giving someone like Liam Delap chances when both senior strikers were injured last season wasn't exactly going to hurt their pockets either.

Our integration of academy players has been shite and that's mostly because we can cram every corner of the squad with a £40-50m player.

It is what it is, I guess, but I find it weird when people say things along the lines of "we're selling them for a profit so the academy is doing it's job."

Where's the entertainment in that?
I have some sympathy for that. However, the reality is all modern football clubs are a mixture of entertainment and business. By and large, the bigger the club, the greater is the emphasis is on business and risk management.

I think I agree with Trevor Sinclair on this.

Liverpool, most expensive Goalkeeper
United most expensive player, defender and past history of breaking transfer records regularly.
Chelsea ditto.

We have never done this so the idea we are going to buy two players each for more than Pogba's fee seems fanciful.

Let’s not pretend we haven’t paid top whack fees in the past. We just haven’t had the need to do it in the last 3-4 years when fees have inflated further.

Ederson was a record for a keeper at the time, Stones just short of the record for a defender. KDB was a huge fee back in 2015 as was Sterling.

My only criticism on the academy is that if the goal is to make money I'm pretty sure we'd make more of it if we gave more prospects a shot to look good playing in the first team. We've have plenty who, compared to Kelechi, were as talented or more talented yet he's the top sale because he got games. And who knows, sometimes guys will surprise you and stick around.
Realistically the only game time they're getting is LC, or dead rubber CL games.
It's not a lot to judge players on.
With the nature of the PL, a manager playing a prospect from the start of a game just isn't happening. Additionally most teams have squad players to keep happy with some minutes.
We're doing ok by loaning out players giving them playing time elsewhere, if someone shines they can always come back

And abel.

Let’s not pretend we haven’t paid top whack fees in the past. We just haven’t had the need to do it in the last 3-4 years when fees have inflated further.

Ederson was a record for a keeper at the time, Stones just short of the record for a defender. KDB was a huge fee back in 2015 as was Sterling.
Hate saying the words net spend but think ours is still the highest. Hopefully we increase it more, I like the tears :D

Status
Not open for further replies.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.