It's Quiet Thread 15 - Txiki Blinders

Status
Not open for further replies.
The window is now closed and I guess we all have our views on how it went from a City perspective... The overriding emotion from many blues is disappointment; are we right to be disappointed? when we have just signed one of England's brightest talents for £100m? Probably not - when you can recall the days of signing Ben Thatcher and Danny Mills. I guess the issue this summer was expectations... expectations driven by the perceived financial advantage we thought we'd have - who'd have thought that Arsenal and Man United would both outspend us? Expectations driven by bullish comments from the Chairman that proved to be unhelpful in a wider context. We were linked with Kane for many months and history told us that when City hang in there it usually means we get our man - but on this occasion this proved to be incorrect and many of us are left wondering why we hung in there so long (giving us false hope) when it seems that City and Levy were always miles apart. Maybe Kane's naivity that Levy would let him go carried too much weight... we can dislike Levy all we like but Kane was his asset and he simply didn't have to sell and he chose not to - end of story.

In comparative terms Chelsea are the big winners they have strengthened immeasurably and they will give us one hell of a fight for the title and come May we may be left wondering why we got so outmaneuvered by them in the transfer market and allowed them to tip the scales firmly in their favour. Outside of Chelsea i don't think too many teams have done great business - the Rags have made a big splash but have they addressed long term issues - I'm not convinced that have... and they have certainly pushed their wage bill into a stratosphere that may impact their ability to sign big names in the immediate term. The Rags are also resigned to losing Pogba on a free now next summer. Only Sancho represents a decent long term addition to their squad and he is perhaps not as good as he clearly thinks he is. Arsenal have had a disastrous window - pissing £140m plus and not really addressing any of their fundamental weaknesses. I fear that outlay may pave the beginning of the end for Arteta.

As for City - there are those that say we have played a clever game, we didn't give in to Levy - but missed out on Kane. As a lifelong blue I have to confess that whilst I thought Kane would be a success here - I never quite saw Kane as the type of player (or personality) you paid £150m for - you kind of want someone a bit more charismatic - even flash... Kane is just dull, good but dull. A few are suggesting we are now in the box seat for Haaland - having dragged United into resigning Ronaldo - personally I never subscribe to such over zealous conspiracy theories but some people feel comforted by such things. Personally, I don't think we will pay either the wages or the agent fees to attract Haaland and we will see him go elsewhere - probably Bayern. On any level we failed to land a striker this summer and we put all our eggs into a single basket and somewhere along the way we got it wrong and the club will be investigating why and will no doubt learn from it.

The positives are we did get Grealish - a good signing who will do well for us, we clearly have transfer funds available and we have the discipline to be strategic and patient (in contrast to United), opportunities will present themselves in the future and we will bag a striker... as I have said before maybe we don't need someone world class - anyone who's an accomplished finisher would get a hatful in our side - maybe we need to be more creative. Perhaps the best news from this transfer window - is the fact that we managed to keep Laporte and Bernardo - talk of them being sold for circa £40m was ridiculous and some of the swaps discussed made no sense. We have a fabulous squad, a fabulous coach and Chelsea et al will have to get more than 90 points I would suggest to win the league - so we will be right there in the mix. Its not been a great transfer window but we didn't need it to be... come on you blues we can have a fabulous season.
Wow long post, I agree with most of it, although I think you downplay the rags acquisitions, Varanne will be a huge signing for them.

It's going to be a very close title race, Chelsea and rags will have optimism from their signings, Liverpool will have their defensive players back from injury and their rabid referee influencing fans back. You would imagine Leicester, Spurs, Everton and West Ham might take a few points off the bigger teams.

We will have super Jack Grealish and a title winning squad, not ideal without a recognised striker but let's get behind the team.

Reactions: cbl
The window is now closed and I guess we all have our views on how it went from a City perspective... The overriding emotion from many blues is disappointment; are we right to be disappointed? when we have just signed one of England's brightest talents for £100m? Probably not - when you can recall the days of signing Ben Thatcher and Danny Mills. I guess the issue this summer was expectations... expectations driven by the perceived financial advantage we thought we'd have - who'd have thought that Arsenal and Man United would both outspend us? Expectations driven by bullish comments from the Chairman that proved to be unhelpful in a wider context. We were linked with Kane for many months and history told us that when City hang in there it usually means we get our man - but on this occasion this proved to be incorrect and many of us are left wondering why we hung in there so long (giving us false hope) when it seems that City and Levy were always miles apart. Maybe Kane's naivity that Levy would let him go carried too much weight... we can dislike Levy all we like but Kane was his asset and he simply didn't have to sell and he chose not to - end of story.

In comparative terms Chelsea are the big winners they have strengthened immeasurably and they will give us one hell of a fight for the title and come May we may be left wondering why we got so outmaneuvered by them in the transfer market and allowed them to tip the scales firmly in their favour. Outside of Chelsea i don't think too many teams have done great business - the Rags have made a big splash but have they addressed long term issues - I'm not convinced that have... and they have certainly pushed their wage bill into a stratosphere that may impact their ability to sign big names in the immediate term. The Rags are also resigned to losing Pogba on a free now next summer. Only Sancho represents a decent long term addition to their squad and he is perhaps not as good as he clearly thinks he is. Arsenal have had a disastrous window - pissing £140m plus and not really addressing any of their fundamental weaknesses. I fear that outlay may pave the beginning of the end for Arteta.

As for City - there are those that say we have played a clever game, we didn't give in to Levy - but missed out on Kane. As a lifelong blue I have to confess that whilst I thought Kane would be a success here - I never quite saw Kane as the type of player (or personality) you paid £150m for - you kind of want someone a bit more charismatic - even flash... Kane is just dull, good but dull. A few are suggesting we are now in the box seat for Haaland - having dragged United into resigning Ronaldo - personally I never subscribe to such over zealous conspiracy theories but some people feel comforted by such things. Personally, I don't think we will pay either the wages or the agent fees to attract Haaland and we will see him go elsewhere - probably Bayern. On any level we failed to land a striker this summer and we put all our eggs into a single basket and somewhere along the way we got it wrong and the club will be investigating why and will no doubt learn from it.

The positives are we did get Grealish - a good signing who will do well for us, we clearly have transfer funds available and we have the discipline to be strategic and patient (in contrast to United), opportunities will present themselves in the future and we will bag a striker... as I have said before maybe we don't need someone world class - anyone who's an accomplished finisher would get a hatful in our side - maybe we need to be more creative. Perhaps the best news from this transfer window - is the fact that we managed to keep Laporte and Bernardo - talk of them being sold for circa £40m was ridiculous and some of the swaps discussed made no sense. We have a fabulous squad, a fabulous coach and Chelsea et al will have to get more than 90 points I would suggest to win the league - so we will be right there in the mix. Its not been a great transfer window but we didn't need it to be... come on you blues we can have a fabulous season.

The silence from the club was deafening though,bordering on piss taking

We put a bid in for 100m during the Euros for Kane,then when we spend 100m on Grealish,Pep sits in the conference and tries to make out that we cannot spend 100m,and the only reason we bought Grealish was because we got 60m back in sales,so effectively saying Grealish cost us 40m

I get that,but then I ask myself so where was the 100m for Kane then ? Or is the answer so obvious that it was spent on Grealish instead,when arguably it wasn't the position we were needing.

Grealish will hopefully turn out to be a fantastic signing,and the early signs are that he will,but I'm confused as to where the other "100m" has gone

Champions of England.
Incredible facilities.
The Premier League.
European football.
Very talented colleagues.
Every whim and request catered for.
Playing under the best manager in the World.
Re-numerated extremely well.
Still supposedly ambitious plans.
Hell - even us!

I can't quite see player retention as the coup some do, but yeah - better not to have lost them.
I think we probably agree GM, but it seemed to me that you are deriding people who are happy with all of the above including player retention.

Are you happy with the window?

We put a bid in for 100m during the Euros for Kane,then when we spend 100m on Grealish,Pep sits in the conference and tries to make out that we cannot spend 100m,and the only reason we bought Grealish was because we got 60m back in sales,so effectively saying Grealish cost us 40m

I get that,but then I ask myself so where was the 100m for Kane then ? Or is the answer so obvious that it was spent on Grealish instead,when arguably it wasn't the position we were needing.

Grealish will hopefully turn out to be a fantastic signing,and the early signs are that he will,but I'm confused as to where the other "100m" has gone
Still there. I'd guess. Not going to !50 mill on Kane doesn't mean it wasn't there just we didn't want to spend it on him. In as much as it exists as a thing anyway as it's amortised numbers anyway.

I suspect the club thought there might be more interest selling certain players, like Bernardo? (maybe even Sterling?), that may generate a good deal more money? No takers at the money we wanted though.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.