It's time to buy a new TV

What about this Sony offering.

https://www.avforums.com/review/sony-bravia-kd-65zd9-zd9-ultra-hd-4k-hdr-tv-review.12797

Even at that price the calibration was not perfect as you may read in the dialogue.

I dont think for a second there is the perfect set or manufacturer right now with one nailing one aspect whilst being behind in another and as a buyer, you can only go with what you feel is the right set for you at the end of the day. Its important in reviews to go with forums and reviewers like you have qouted and not some bought review that is a biased as it can get.

Right now im really interested in OLED and LG and how that goes. HDR is amazing on the face of it but we dont have anything being broadcast in HDR yet or at least, Dolby HDR and 10-bit so whats the point?

By the time it does come we will be faced with 8K sets on the market with 16K sets dues at any time but living room restrictions and the human eye will mean they wont ever see the light of day imo other than for extreme need uses in theatres etc.

Im sitting tight for another 12/18 months and will see how OLED develops and what if any broadcasts start in Dolby HDR 10-bit and if i can buy a HD Blu Ray for less than a night out lol ;-)

I dont think for a second there is the perfect set or manufacturer right now with one nailing one aspect whilst being behind in another and as a buyer, you can only go with what you feel is the right set for you at the end of the day. Its important in reviews to go with forums and reviewers like you have qouted and not some bought review that is a biased as it can get.

Right now im really interested in OLED and LG and how that goes. HDR is amazing on the face of it but we dont have anything being broadcast in HDR yet or at least, Dolby HDR and 10-bit so whats the point?

By the time it does come we will be faced with 8K sets on the market with 16K sets dues at any time but living room restrictions and the human eye will mean they wont ever see the light of day imo other than for extreme need uses in theatres etc.

Im sitting tight for another 12/18 months and will see how OLED develops and what if any broadcasts start in Dolby HDR 10-bit and if i can buy a HD Blu Ray for less than a night out lol ;-)

Not sure if standards have yet been set for HDR etc. so I think you are wise. Regarding Blu Rays I´m a little out of date but I like Oppo.

May I suggest this USA based forum for latest info regarding TV´s etc..

http://www.avsforum.com/forum/40-oled-technology-flat-panels-general/

Like AV in UK they have reviews of models etc. and especially different types of screen and its development.

Not sure if standards have yet been set for HDR etc. so I think you are wise. Regarding Blu Rays I´m a little out of date but I like Oppo.

May I suggest this USA based forum for latest info regarding TV´s etc..

http://www.avsforum.com/forum/40-oled-technology-flat-panels-general/

Like AV in UK they have reviews of models etc. and especially different types of screen and its development.

The vast majority of so called HDR sets are an 8-bit screen with toned down processing, hence the costs. Dolby have released their version of HDR which requires a 10-bit screen and currently, that is the standard going forwards. What difference the average eye will see is up for debate?

Thanks for the link mate will give it a good look at tonight.

Whenever I read online or go to a shop they always say LG and Samsung. I never see plasma for sale anymore, do they sell them in England much?

Plasma is still alive but it is almost a niche market now, LED and LCD here boss. It is a shame because imo the Pioneer Kuro is still the benchmark for all other tv's.

I have a Samsung 49" KU6400 and when they released the HDR+ Firmware Update I have been watching it in this mode and I must say the picture is superb.

Last edited:
Can anyone recommend me a TV which is available for under £350?

Sorry "Dr Jacoby" but you ain't gonna get a decent TV for that price, hence the no replies...
Depends on your definition of 'decent' but if you're on a tight budget then you can get a Hisense 43" 4K for £349 or (possibly a better idea) a Hisense 49" HD for £329. They get decent reviews (the Amazon links were just quick Googles so you may find cheaper).

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.